• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Possible Trial in lead up to Griz/Cat next year in Missoula...

mthoopsfan said:
I think the small employment/civil rights firm in DC representing her, is a highly regarded firm. This blurb is from their LinkedIn:

""We are pleased the Court rejected the University’s argument that Coach Schweyen’s the deed discrimination case should be decided in arbitration," said Linda M. Correia. "Coach Schweyen's case will move forward in federal court, where proceedings are public, and after discovery, the case will be decided by a jury of her peers, instead of by a single arbitrator under the cover of a private process."

We are proud to represent Coach Schweyen with Goetz, Geddes & Gardner P.C."

While the local counsel firm often doesn't do much, the Goetz firm is one of the top litigation firms in MT. Goetz and the judge in the case, Dana Christianson, were/are 2 of the very best litigators in MT. Goetz is into his later 70's now, and is probably winding down.

The judge, of Stanford and UM Law, is a very good judge, will pay close attention to the case and will not "home town" the DC lawyers. My guess is that UM is going to have a fight on their hands, and I could see settlement in the future. I know nothing about the case or situation except what is in the complaint and newspaper articles.

What's your take on UM's counsel?
Case facts aside, how does UM match up vs. the DC fiem?

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:
I think the small employment/civil rights firm in DC representing her, is a highly regarded firm. This blurb is from their LinkedIn:

""We are pleased the Court rejected the University’s argument that Coach Schweyen’s the deed discrimination case should be decided in arbitration," said Linda M. Correia. "Coach Schweyen's case will move forward in federal court, where proceedings are public, and after discovery, the case will be decided by a jury of her peers, instead of by a single arbitrator under the cover of a private process."

While the local counsel firm often doesn't do much, the Goetz firm is one of the top litigation firms in MT. Goetz and the judge in the case, Dana Christianson, were/are 2 of the very best litigators in MT. Goetz is into his later 70's now, and is probably winding down.

The judge, of Stanford and UM Law, is a very good judge, will pay close attention to the case and will not "home town" the DC lawyers. My guess is that UM is going to have a fight on their hands, and I could see settlement in the future. I know nothing about the case or situation except what is in the complaint and newspaper articles.

I don’t know anything about the lawyer listed in the link. I don’t know how good of a trial lawyer she is. She appears greater outmatched by the DC firm. While I didn’t specialize in this area, it appears UM is vulnerable. What do you think?

GrizMania said:
mthoopsfan said:

Where's Brint's preview?

UncleRico said:
Griz til I die said:
Why do you continue to defend her? She’s literally a god awful person and a terrible coach. Anybody who went to a game over her 4 years as coach saw that clear as day. For somebody who sure acts like the AD’s biggest cheerleader it seems odd that you keep trying to defend her!

I am not going to defend her or criticize her as a coach.Not going there. But I think it’s a sad deal that the greatest Lady Griz player ever ended up in this conflict with UM. Hell she might be the most dominant athlete in their sport ever at UM. Just a bad deal all around.

I agree with this. The whole thing really sucks. She was fun to watch...student section packed for LG games back then.

mthoopsfan said:
GrizMania said:

I don’t know anything about the lawyer listed in the link. I don’t know how good of a trial lawyer she is. She appears greater outmatched by the DC firm. While I didn’t specialize in this area, it appears UM is vulnerable. What do you think?

Three lawyers I know think UM should settle ASAP

UncleRico said:
Griz til I die said:
Why do you continue to defend her? She’s literally a god awful person and a terrible coach. Anybody who went to a game over her 4 years as coach saw that clear as day. For somebody who sure acts like the AD’s biggest cheerleader it seems odd that you keep trying to defend her!

I am not going to defend her or criticize her as a coach.Not going there. But I think it’s a sad deal that the greatest Lady Griz player ever ended up in this conflict with UM. Hell she might be the most dominant athlete in their sport ever at UM. Just a bad deal all around.

Yep!

rgrizfan said:
This has nothing to do with Griz football or FCS football.

My worry was it might in the sense that depositions go down that road. For instance, they choose to depose Bobby Hauck because he had players transfer out or treatment is seemed to be different to male football players than that of female basketball players. Bobby clearly isn't going to be in trouble and has no worries, but he may have to answer questions. Wouldn't be a pain the week of the brawl to have to participate in a trial where potential "dirty laundry" comes out in Griz athletics and involves the AD, Associate AD, compliance people, Men's basketball coach and football coach?

I think UncleRico said it best...
"I am not going to defend her or criticize her as a coach.Not going there. But I think it’s a sad deal that the greatest Lady Griz player ever ended up in this conflict with UM. Hell she might be the most dominant athlete in their sport ever at UM. Just a bad deal all around."

Just a horrible look and really sad deal. How did it get to this point in the first place? It does seem to point to things not being handled properly at the top.

I assume this is why her husband quit too? https://skylinesportsmt.com/schweyen-resigns-as-um-track-and-field-coach/

Brother Bear said:
rgrizfan said:
This has nothing to do with Griz football or FCS football.

My worry was it might in the sense that depositions go down that road. For instance, they choose to depose Bobby Hauck because he had players transfer out or treatment is seemed to be different to male football players than that of female basketball players. Bobby clearly isn't going to be in trouble and has no worries, but he may have to answer questions. Wouldn't be a pain the week of the brawl to have to participate in a trial where potential "dirty laundry" comes out in Griz athletics and involves the AD, Associate AD, compliance people, Men's basketball coach and football coach?

I think UncleRico said it best...
"I am not going to defend her or criticize her as a coach.Not going there. But I think it’s a sad deal that the greatest Lady Griz player ever ended up in this conflict with UM. Hell she might be the most dominant athlete in their sport ever at UM. Just a bad deal all around."

Just a horrible look and really sad deal. How did it get to this point in the first place? It does seem to point to things not being handled properly at the top.

I assume this is why her husband quit too? https://skylinesportsmt.com/schweyen-resigns-as-um-track-and-field-coach/

Yup. Some good points. They will want to depose Travis. Did Haslam talk to him or warn him about players leaving the program during the Shannon years?

goatcreekgriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I think she may make to trial because there are issues of fact regarding disparate treatment in light of how male coaches are treated or whether the reasons given for discharge were a pretext. She might lose in the end but she may have a good chance to get it to a jury.
It's not that she was even wrongfully discharged. Her contract expired and Haslam chose not to renew it. That's a fact. She has no legal ground to stand on.

Her legal ground to stand on is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, plus s.e.x. discrimination (which she is claiming) is illegal. Just because a decision to "not renew" a contract is made doesn't mean a person has no legal standing to bring a lawsuit. Likewise, just because the coach brought a lawsuit doesn't mean she is going to win, but certainly she does have legal standing to bring one forward.

Griz til I die said:
goatcreekgriz said:
I think she may make to trial because there are issues of fact regarding disparate treatment in light of how male coaches are treated or whether the reasons given for discharge were a pretext. She might lose in the end but she may have a good chance to get it to a jury.
It's not that she was even wrongfully discharged. Her contract expired and Haslam chose not to renew it. That's a fact. She has no legal ground to stand on.

Except that he told her he was going to extend it.

Brother Bear said:
Her legal ground to stand on is Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, plus s.e.x. discrimination (which she is claiming) is illegal. Just because a decision to "not renew" a contract is made doesn't mean a person has no legal standing to bring a lawsuit. Likewise, just because the coach brought a lawsuit doesn't mean she is going to win, but certainly she does have legal standing to bring one forward.

And her DC law firm specializes in this area. Does the complaint even mention wrongful termination?

Net result of the entire action: The lawyers get paid handsomely and Schweyen and UM both look terrible during the trial.

oh boy!!

mthoopsfan said:
Griz til I die said:

But he didn't extend her. There was nothing ever in writing. Is he not allowed to change his mind?

Griz til I die said:
mthoopsfan said:
But he didn't extend her. There was nothing ever in writing. Is he not allowed to change his mind?

This reminds me of the Mike Kramer deal. If MSU AD Peter Fields would have kept his mouth shut and just said "we aren't extending the contract" it would have been fine. But he was going around the state saying WHY he was getting rid of Kramer. MSU ended up paying.

Griz til I die said:
mthoopsfan said:

There is such a thing as an oral contract or extension. I suppose he could change his mind, but he'd have to set it up, explain it, and document it much better. We shall see if there is a settlement or what the judge/jury thinks. Again, as another poster explained, the main part of the case is federal law and discrimination, not contract law or MT employment law. Read the judge's order and see what he focused on.

Griz til I die said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Now, I'm no big city lawyer, but I've never gone into anything with this mindset.

Haslam botched this situation big time. In terms of ethics/job performance, we all know Shannon doesn't deserve sh!t. But Kent mismanaged this situation to such a degree, that it opened UM up to liability.

wbtfg said:
Griz til I die said:

This reminds me of the Mike Kramer deal. If MSU AD Peter Fields would have kept his mouth shut and just said "we aren't extending the contract" it would have been fine. But he was going around the state saying WHY he was getting rid of Kramer. MSU ended up paying.

The UM one is mainly sex discrimination and violation of federal law. I'm not aware that Haslam said things publicly, but maybe he did.

Back