• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post game: Griz shake off the rust in the 2nd half

BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:
BW, if you watch the game again, you might change your opinion regarding our DE's. Wags was not a big factor statistically, but he did cause some trouble. He forced the QB to hurry things often. They often had 2 or 3 guys containing him. When they did that, it opened up the opportunities for Takai and even more for Peevey. Wags impact was not on paper this game, but he did play well. Also he was held a lot, just as NDSU did to him.

I'd agree with that, in other games both Wags and Holmes have been able to beat the constant holding and get some sacks. However you're right they did draw a crap ton of attention from UCD players and did hurry up a lot of plays.

It is not holding unless it is called. Chad Germer taught his linemen to push it to the limit until they started getting called in a game. Each ref has his own standards for calling holding. Some are strict, and some are loose. A team needs to push the limit early until they get called, then adjust to the way the game will be called. I thought Davis held a lot too, but because they did not get called, they gained an advantage on us. We need to do the same.

monte is a character said:
BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:
BW, if you watch the game again, you might change your opinion regarding our DE's. Wags was not a big factor statistically, but he did cause some trouble. He forced the QB to hurry things often. They often had 2 or 3 guys containing him. When they did that, it opened up the opportunities for Takai and even more for Peevey. Wags impact was not on paper this game, but he did play well. Also he was held a lot, just as NDSU did to him.

I'd agree with that, in other games both Wags and Holmes have been able to beat the constant holding and get some sacks. However you're right they did draw a crap ton of attention from UCD players and did hurry up a lot of plays.

It is not holding unless it is called. Chad Germer taught his linemen to push it to the limit until they started getting called in a game. Each ref has his own standards for calling holding. Some are strict, and some are loose. A team needs to push the limit early until they get called, then adjust to the way the game will be called. I thought Davis held a lot too, but because they did not get called, they gained an advantage on us. We need to do the same.

Teaching/telling our already inexperienced O-linemen to hold players until they get caught/flagged?

OK... :?

BWahlberg said:
BWahlberg said:
mtgrizrule said:

Teaching/telling our already inexperienced O-linemen to hold players until they get caught/flagged?

Sad, but a valid point about "seeing what you can get away with." It is a bit more nuanced than that, I suppose. I never played the game at that level, but I have talked to coaches at the HS and college level, and heard NFL coaches speak on the matter. Many of them do teach/tell players to watch, early in the game, how the refs seem to be calling the game. Apparently, some (many?) of them ask for feedback on the issue from their more experienced players. I had one actually demonstrate how they would show players what they could, and could not get away with.

I have great respect for those who take on, for whatever reason, a tough job that -- at most levels -- doesn't pay s**t. But, in a very close, "well matched" game, a few key calls by the refs can literally decide the outcome. I'd sure like to see more consistency ... which probably won't happen because it would cost a lot more money, and programs would rather spend it on coaches and fancy facilities.

Umista said:
Jordy needs to run and become a threat to run. He does way better all around if he is able to move around in the backfield. Pure and simple.

The reason Whitted had problems tackling was his shoulder and it is still an issue. Not sure about Hermy but I am told he is ok health wise. Zack W. was held much of the time. He needs to learn some new moves as he ended up on the ground way to many times.

We all understand the facts: If Canada had been caught on the first portion of his run we would have been in deep trouble. And If Jones had not made some super catches we would have been in deep trouble. And Jordy's passes were just a shade off but we did enough to win and we are all excited about a win. Looking down the road? We need to improve all across the board to win another game.
Wags was held and double/triple-teamed on most every play. He let the refs know about the holding on more than one occasion and it was readily apparent that they didn't care. There for awhile I truly wondered if they were ever going to throw a flat on UC-Davis. As I said earlier, this game showed me the worst overall Big Sky refereeing I've had the misfortune to personally witness.

'68griz said:
Umista said:
Jordy needs to run and become a threat to run. He does way better all around if he is able to move around in the backfield. Pure and simple.

The reason Whitted had problems tackling was his shoulder and it is still an issue. Not sure about Hermy but I am told he is ok health wise. Zack W. was held much of the time. He needs to learn some new moves as he ended up on the ground way to many times.

We all understand the facts: If Canada had been caught on the first portion of his run we would have been in deep trouble. And If Jones had not made some super catches we would have been in deep trouble. And Jordy's passes were just a shade off but we did enough to win and we are all excited about a win. Looking down the road? We need to improve all across the board to win another game.
Wags was held and double/triple-teamed on most every play. He let the refs know about the holding on more than one occasion and it was readily apparent that they didn't care. There for awhile I truly wondered if they were ever going to throw a flat on UC-Davis. As I said earlier, this game showed me the worst overall Big Sky refereeing I've had the misfortune to personally witness.

I quite literally yelled, "HOOOOOLLLLLLDDDINNNNGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!" every other play. Because there was.

Not to mention the obvious false start on the UCD right tackle on their last scoring drive. Helped them pick up a first on a fourth down play. The tackle was 2 steps into his backpedal trying to block Wags before the ball was snapped.

bearister said:
Not to mention the obvious false start on the UCD right tackle on their last scoring drive. Helped them pick up a first on a fourth down play. The tackle was 2 steps into his backpedal trying to block Wags before the ball was snapped.

Only BSC refs could've missed that one. Pee-wee officials call that one.

EverettGriz said:
bearister said:

Only BSC refs could've missed that one. Pee-wee officials call that one.
Funny thing is that it happened on the line judge's end of the line. It couldn't have been much closer... How the heck do you miss that? BSC officiating. Oy. I would hope that official did not grade out well.

IdaGriz01 said:
BWahlberg said:
BWahlberg said:

Sad, but a valid point about "seeing what you can get away with." It is a bit more nuanced than that, I suppose. I never played the game at that level, but I have talked to coaches at the HS and college level, and heard NFL coaches speak on the matter. Many of them do teach/tell players to watch, early in the game, how the refs seem to be calling the game. Apparently, some (many?) of them ask for feedback on the issue from their more experienced players. I had one actually demonstrate how they would show players what they could, and could not get away with.

I have great respect for those who take on, for whatever reason, a tough job that -- at most levels -- doesn't pay s**t. But, in a very close, "well matched" game, a few key calls by the refs can literally decide the outcome. I'd sure like to see more consistency ... which probably won't happen because it would cost a lot more money, and programs would rather spend it on coaches and fancy facilities.

Yep. Monte is right on this one. The good ones know what they can/can't get away with and are very good at "holding". It's just like DBs getting a feel for how aggressive they can be in coverage. Coaches also know refs and their tendencies. Also, defensive players are going to complain about holding even when there is no hold. Just like WRs are always complaining about interference.

Latest posts

Back