• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Predictions for 2009 BSC Football

Which 4 teams will finish on top of the Big Sky Conference?

• Eastern Washington University - Eagles

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • Idaho State University - Bengals

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Montana State University - Bobcats

Votes: 105 64.8%
  • Portland State University - Vikings

Votes: 50 30.9%
  • Sacramento State University - Hornets

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • The University of Montana - Grizzlies

Votes: 154 95.1%
  • University of Northern Arizona - Lumberjacks

Votes: 33 20.4%
  • University of Northern Colorado - Bears

Votes: 21 13.0%
  • Weber State University - Wildcats

Votes: 141 87.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
David2 said:
StungAlum said:
Predicting anything this early is too premature, however, I do think that WSU will experience some injuries to key players that put a damper on their season.
Some insight there, but that can be said of any football team at the beginning of the season, including the Griz. Why do you think Weber is any more subject to a derailed season because of injuries than the Griz?

Two fbs opponents for any FCS school is a lot to handle in a season, and being as how both are pre conference play I dont think its a good situation for them. I just think that they are going to get beat down with two fbs games. Im not saying that theyre going to get blown out or anything, its just going to be tough, those schools really dont want to loose to an FCS program.

Look at Sac State's 20-23 loss last season, the starting QB (Jason Smith) and running back (Bryan Hilliard) got injured and it put a damper on the rest of the season. Hilliard is a bruising running back that could have changed the outcome of some close games. A key loss for WSU, like Trevyn Smith, would most definitely affect the rest of their season.

But yeah, the same could be said about any team, but I think that WSU has the best chances of a key player being injured early in the season.

kemajic said:
Skookum-Jim said:
Looks like you got me! Like I said I don't really know, I guess I just know some snobs from UCD and Cal Poly. Obviously Sac State has a great athletic tradition. I guess I just like the Ag school at Davis and I really enjoyed San Louis ebisbo when I was there one time. I met this chick and my head turned to mush. Didn't mean to insult anyone.
SacSt has only a tradition of losing in FB and BB in the BSC. This is a FB forum and thread; 47-98 does not measure up to be a great tradition. Their BB results may be even worse.

But that's the problem, of course this is a FB thread and forum, but until OTHER athletics are taken seriously, Montana will never make one of these lists. Montana fans are quick to denounce olympic athletics and other mainstream sports such as BASEBALL, and go right back to football. Sure, football is a money maker for lots of schools, but youre never going to get anywhere focusing just on football.

Im not going to argue the win loss record for Sac State in FB and BB, they arent good.

StungAlum said:
David2 said:
Some insight there, but that can be said of any football team at the beginning of the season, including the Griz. Why do you think Weber is any more subject to a derailed season because of injuries than the Griz?

Two fbs opponents for any FCS school is a lot to handle in a season, and being as how both are pre conference play I dont think its a good situation for them. WSU has the best chances of a key player being injured early in the season.

But, why is WSU any more subject to a derailed season because of injuries to key players than the Griz? Are you saying WSU doesn't have the depth the Griz have?

Any player can come out of any game injured, Luck of the Draw, WYoming and CSU are both physical teams, however I dont think Wyo and CSU are as physical as Hawaii or Utah last season, Weber is just going to have to match thier intensity, Mcbride said this years defensive recruiting class is the fastest and most athletic class he has ever had being the Wildcats head coach, and everyone knows what Weber's offense is capable of, we will just have to wait and see.

WILDCATFAN said:
Any player can come out of any game injured, Luck of the Draw
Seems like I read about a Big Sky QB today that blamed the loss in the last game he played in last year to being too beat up and injured, I guess his protectors around him didn't draw much luck in the games prior to his unfortunate demise? :lol:

There are more prediction on the up coming season on a site www.calsns.com. Check it out.
Says Montana will win the conference. Weber State will be second. Says Sacramento State will be third. Their roster is deep this year. They got both first team all-american jc wide outs and the leading rusher from U of Washington. The entire d-line is back and 4 of 5 starter on the o-line. Both the starter and backup qb's are back. They look good. I'm more impressed with the lines cause it begans in the trenches.

David2 said:
StungAlum said:
Two fbs opponents for any FCS school is a lot to handle in a season, and being as how both are pre conference play I dont think its a good situation for them. WSU has the best chances of a key player being injured early in the season.

But, why is WSU any more subject to a derailed season because of injuries to key players than the Griz? Are you saying WSU doesn't have the depth the Griz have?

Montana has no FBS opponent, and hasnt had one in a few seasons, they'd rather schedule weak OOC games and talk them up to make themselves feel better. I dont care what their reasoning is, if they are soooooo great, play an FBS program.

So, yes, WSU is more susceptible for that fact alone, they are playing TWO FBS games. Montana is playing Western State, which they know really isnt much more than a scrimmage. Montana probably wont even play their starters after the first quarter, that's three quarters of one game that they dont have to worry about injuries to key players.

Are you really not getting this?

StungAlum said:
David2 said:

Montana has no FBS opponent, and hasnt had one in a few seasons, they'd rather schedule weak OOC games and talk them up to make themselves feel better. I dont care what their reasoning is, if they are soooooo great, play an FBS program. ucd is in a downword spiral destined to be a crap team in a season or two because of Bob Biggs, and Cal Poly plays in an awful conference with ucd. Also, Cal Poly just got a new head coach, the players are still getting used to the coaches ways of doing things, they arent going to be the same team they were last year.

Im surprised that the griz nation is touting Western State as a stellar opponent, they seem to be able to find the "good" qualities in their other OOC opponents.

So, yes, WSU is more susceptible for that fact alone, they are playing TWO FBS games. Montana is playing Western State, which they know really isnt much more than a scrimmage. Montana probably wont even play their starters after the first quarter, that's three quarters of one game that they dont have to worry about injuries to key players.

StungAlum said:
Montana has no FBS opponent, and hasnt had one in a few seasons, they'd rather schedule weak OOC games and talk them up to make themselves feel better. I dont care what their reasoning is, if they are soooooo great, play an FBS program.

Stung, you're a little tone deaf here. Montana has no need to schedule an FBS team. The school doesn't need the money (actually they make as much money by scheduling a Div. II patsy), and the Griz are good enough every year to make the playoffs without 'proving' themselves in some fruitless game against an FBS team (although the Griz are 6-6 in their last 12 games against FBS teams). No one from Montana is 'talking up' Div II games. Having a Div. II team on the schedule, though, may actually be helping Montana stay at the top, because it gives live game action to young players (helping to prepare them for future seasons), and it helps keep the starters from wearing down late in the season (i.e., playoffs), when Montana ends up playing more games than any other Big Sky team. In the 16 years straight that Montana has made the playoffs, they've averaged 13.68 games/year, over 2 more than any other Big Sky team. Depth to withstand these extra games has to come from somewhere.

Also, Montana has no need to schedule an FBS team to show how "tough" they are, because they end up playing 1-4 games every year against the best that our division has to offer--again, i.e., playoff teams.

Are you really not getting why UM doesn't need an FBS team on its schedule for any reason, and isn't fazed in the least by your misplaced criticisms? And please, to give your criticism some semblance of credibility, at least beat the Griz once before you start criticizing the quality of their football teams.

Just because you don't see the reasoning behind the Grizzlies' scheduling doesn't mean there isn't any. The Grizzlies' track record demonstrates that it's there--you just don't see it.

StungAlum said:
StungAlum said:
Montana has no FBS opponent, and hasnt had one in a few seasons, they'd rather schedule weak OOC games and talk them up to make themselves feel better. I dont care what their reasoning is, if they are soooooo great, play an FBS program. ucd is in a downword spiral destined to be a crap team in a season or two because of Bob Biggs, and Cal Poly plays in an awful conference with ucd. Also, Cal Poly just got a new head coach, the players are still getting used to the coaches ways of doing things, they arent going to be the same team they were last year.

Im surprised that the griz nation is touting Western State as a stellar opponent, they seem to be able to find the "good" qualities in their other OOC opponents.

Wait, you quoted your own post without any additions? How is the scheduling of Montana any different than other FCS/FBS powers? Schedule a tune-up home opener, one respectable out of conference game, then a third game, usually a team somewhere between the two talent wise. I guarantee far fewer FCS schools would schedule FBS teams if they didn't need the money to survive.

Admit it fellas, you know very well that StungAlum is correct about our scheduling....at least, be honest with yourselves. By the way, money isn't the only reason to schedule real Division1 teams.

StungAlum is possibly high. I don't think I've seen a single person here say they're happy w/ scheduling Western State. I think it's quite the opposite.

grizband said:
Wait, you quoted your own post without any additions? How is the scheduling of Montana any different than other FCS/FBS powers? Schedule a tune-up home opener, one respectable out of conference game, then a third game, usually a team somewhere between the two talent wise. I guarantee far fewer FCS schools would schedule FBS teams if they didn't need the money to survive.

I know, it was completely unintentional, I meant to edit the post. I was in a bit of a bad mood at the time and I forgot a few things.

And thats not necessarily true, money isnt the only reason, sure, for most schools it is. But for some, its a matter of proving that you arent just an FCS program, but you are THE FCS program. I think that ASU did the FCS a great service by beating Michigan, and I think Montana could too.

CrunchGriz said:
StungAlum said:

Stung, you're a little tone deaf here. Montana has no need to schedule an FBS team. The school doesn't need the money (actually they make as much money by scheduling a Div. II patsy), and the Griz are good enough every year to make the playoffs without 'proving' themselves in some fruitless game against an FBS team (although the Griz are 6-6 in their last 12 games against FBS teams). No one from Montana is 'talking up' Div II games. Having a Div. II team on the schedule, though, may actually be helping Montana stay at the top, because it gives live game action to young players (helping to prepare them for future seasons), and it helps keep the starters from wearing down late in the season (i.e., playoffs), when Montana ends up playing more games than any other Big Sky team. In the 16 years straight that Montana has made the playoffs, they've averaged 13.68 games/year, over 2 more than any other Big Sky team. Depth to withstand these extra games has to come from somewhere.

Also, Montana has no need to schedule an FBS team to show how "tough" they are, because they end up playing 1-4 games every year against the best that our division has to offer--again, i.e., playoff teams.

Are you really not getting why UM doesn't need an FBS team on its schedule for any reason, and isn't fazed in the least by your misplaced criticisms? And please, to give your criticism some semblance of credibility, at least beat the Griz once before you start criticizing the quality of their football teams.

I understand all of that, however, I didnt include it in my post. There really wasnt any reason too. Those points are obvious and support why I beleive WSU will suffer due to their scheduling two FBS opponents.

Just because you don't see the reasoning behind the Grizzlies' scheduling doesn't mean there isn't any. The Grizzlies' track record demonstrates that it's there--you just don't see it.

For the last time, it isnt just about the money. What happens when a semi-decent FCS program beats any FBS team? It brings enthusiasm and pride to the entire FCS, it gets guys pumped, it gets fans excited!

Listen, I was just explaining why I thought WSU is more susceptible to injuries this season than the Griz are, it wasnt meant to stir the pot.

StungAlum said:
CrunchGriz said:

I understand all of that, however, I didnt include it in my post. There really wasnt any reason too. Those points are obvious and support why I beleive WSU will suffer due to their scheduling two FBS opponents.

For the last time, it isnt just about the money. What happens when a semi-decent FCS program beats any FBS team? It brings enthusiasm and pride to the entire FCS, it gets guys pumped, it gets fans excited!

Listen, I was just explaining why I thought WSU is more susceptible to injuries this season than the Griz are, it wasnt meant to stir the pot.

I'm glad it's the last time, because it really is about the money.

Back