• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Regionalized Playoffs hopefully gone

getgrizzy said:
UTGrizFan said:
Maybe it's just me but I feel that no one conference should be represented in a championship game, just makes it potentially a glorified regular-season matchup and doesn't really help the picture of FCS football as a whole.
I'd prefer it work out that way, but not be set up that way. The teams should be seeded from 1-24 and matched up based on that. If the two finalists happen to be from the same conference, so be it.

You forgot that UNDSU needs an impossible road. Other then that that, spot on.

marceagfan5 said:
Herd said:
How many times has MT played MT State in the playoffs in the early rounds during the regionalization days? Seems like every time I sat down to a SDSU/NDSU playoff game, you guys were in different brackets. I don't remember you even playing in recent memory.

Technically MSU hasn't held up their end of the bargain and have exited the playoffs early or you would have seen more rivalry matchups with the Big Sky in the playoffs.

MSU should have played EWU in 2010 but MSU lost to NDSU
MSU could have played UM in 2011 but MSU lost to Sam Houston
MSU should have played EWU in 2012 but lost to Sam Houston

EWU and UM did play in 2014

State ag has expended all that energy in garnering the preseason that it's been tough to finish when it matters.

#boomwinthepreseason

get'em_griz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
Herd said:
How many times has MT played MT State in the playoffs in the early rounds during the regionalization days? Seems like every time I sat down to a SDSU/NDSU playoff game, you guys were in different brackets. I don't remember you even playing in recent memory.

I don't think we've ever played.....that would be Armageddon....

people would die in the streets, and after we beat the Cats for the 2nd time that year....suicide rates in Bozeman would go through the roof.

It damn near happened in 2011. State was ranked #1 heading into the Brawl and we absolutely stomped them in Bozeman 36-10. Had State been able to beat Sam Houston State in the quarterfinals, it would have set up a semifinal Brawl of the Wild 2.0 in Missoula. If that would have happened, State would have never recovered from the beatdown they would have received from the Griz.

I attended that game in Bozo, was my dads first Brawl experience in person. After the brawl my buddy ended up getting into a fight because apparently Cat fans dont like it when you stand next to the porta potties for a half hour and tell every guy who walks in to use it that "Cat fans sit down to pee".

bgbigdog said:
getgrizzy said:
UTGrizFan said:
Maybe it's just me but I feel that no one conference should be represented in a championship game, just makes it potentially a glorified regular-season matchup and doesn't really help the picture of FCS football as a whole.
I'd prefer it work out that way, but not be set up that way. The teams should be seeded from 1-24 and matched up based on that. If the two finalists happen to be from the same conference, so be it.

You forgot that UNDSU needs an impossible road. Other then that that, spot on.

I say we send NDSU to play UNI in Homs, Syria the first round, get the Griz in WaGriz in the 2nd, setting up a potential showdown with Bama in the Fargodome.......

with that playoff scheduling I would give them only a 78% chance at winning their 6th straight!

Seems like regionalization was not applied to MT/MT State. Someone was protecting that matchup from happening via bracketing, seeding, whatever it takes. Am I wrong?

SDSU is the team that (IMO) has been screwed out of seeds to provide the committee with regionalization. You take a seed away from and SDSU and send them to a hostile road venue like MT, and their story changes significantly. They've had a tough time on your field.

marceagfan5 said:
Herd said:

Technically MSU hasn't held up their end of the bargain and have exited the playoffs early or you would have seen more rivalry matchups with the Big Sky in the playoffs.

MSU should have played EWU in 2010 but MSU lost to NDSU
MSU could have played UM in 2011 but MSU lost to Sam Houston
MSU should have played EWU in 2012 but lost to Sam Houston

EWU and UM did play in 2014
I seem to recall another time the cats shit the bed for a brawl 2.0: mcnease state in about 02 or so

Back