• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Royce Engstrom sucks

I would say his sentiment was fine but the words he chose were unnecessarily divisive. I don't believe the amount of contribution of college graduates is provably "greater" than non-graduates but the nature of the contribution is most often different and as well as extremely valuable to society. In fact he could have used that a device to point out that while graduating is a major accomplishment, it is just a step in a lifelong journey and the burden/opportunity to do something great with that education now lies with the graduate. They have the chance to prove the value of a college education. Now go do it!

Grisly Fan said:
I would say his sentiment was fine but the words he chose were unnecessarily divisive. I don't believe the amount of contribution of college graduates is provably "greater" than non-graduates but the nature of the contribution is most often different and as well as extremely valuable to society. In fact he could have used that a device to point out that while graduating is a major accomplishment, it is just a step in a lifelong journey and the burden/opportunity to do something great with that education now lies with the graduate. They have the chance to prove the value of a college education. Now go do it!

Would you expect the President of pizza hut talk highly of the virtues of pizza or would you expect he/she talk highly about the virtues of cheeseburgers.

grizd said:
Grisly Fan said:

Would you expect the President of pizza hut talk highly of the virtues of pizza or would you expect he/she talk highly about the virtues of cheeseburgers.
Ignoring for a moment that people aren't food, society needs graduates and non-graduates. I have a college degree but come from blue-collar parents. While I have accomplished a few things that have impacted society in some ways (in fact I am in Taipei doing it at this moment) I would hesitate to claim that my work is any more valuable than some of the things that my parents did. The difference is that having an education I (and presumably RE) should have a slightly wider view of the world than my parents and I (as should RE) know that saying things that divide a community when the UM is faltering, is a bad idea. My parents made some large donations to the school which has helped in some way to make it better. I wouldn't go out of my way to poke such people in the eye. Now back to food as an analogy. My mom and dad served Missoula cheeseburgers to Missoula for 30+ years which is the source of those donations so I would hope RE would tout the virtues of cheeseburgers.

And just in case I am being too obtuse, my point is that it shouldn't be and either/or, it needs to be a both but having a college education provides an opportunity for better.

grizd said:
Grisly Fan said:

This! End thread!

SMFH.

If you're audience is slinky lovers, you talk about how well it climbs down stairs. If your audience is baseball fans you talk about how great Felix Hernandez is. If your audience is 80 year olds, you talk about how great the Thomas Dorsey Band is. And if your audience is 4000 new college grads, you talk about how great college graduates are.

It ain't fucking rocket science. And that doesn't imply college grads are better than others anymore than saying a slinky is better than a hula hoop because it climbs down stairs well.

Like Engstrom, or not, I feel how his graduation speech was interpreted by someone is going a little too far. I am former military, and am not offended or disrespected by what he said at the graduation ceremony. I would expect an University President to promote the value of education, verses the value of the military. His job is education, not military.

Ursa Major said:
grizd said:
Grisly Fan said:

This! End thread!
College education snobs. Love 'em! I sit in rooms where every single person has a PhD except me and they do what they can to show that they are better than me. Yet there I am. I think it forces at least some of them to examine the need for the degrees that they are still paying off. Don't get me wrong, most of them are brilliant but I know a whole lot of brilliant people who for various reasons never had the opportunies to gain that (or really any) level of education. Educate an idiot and you get an educated idiot.

Grisly Fan said:
grizd said:
Grisly Fan said:

Ignoring for a moment that people aren't food, society needs graduates and non-graduates. I have a college degree but come from blue-collar parents. While I have accomplished a few things that have impacted society in some ways (in fact I am in Taipei doing it at this moment) I would hesitate to claim that my work is any more valuable than some of the things that my parents did. The difference is that having an education I (and presumably RE) should have a slightly wider view of the world than my parents and I (as should RE) know that saying things that divide a community when the UM is faltering, is a bad idea. My parents made some large donations to the school which has helped in some way to make it better. I wouldn't go out of my way to poke such people in the eye. Now back to food as an analogy. My mom and dad served Missoula cheeseburgers to Missoula for 30+ years which is the source of those donations so I would hope RE would tout the virtues of cheeseburgers.

And just in case I am being too obtuse, my point is that it shouldn't be and either/or, it needs to be a both but having a college education provides an opportunity for better.
a decent example would be Dennis Washington.
http://www.dpwfoundation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Washington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

yellowstone60 said:
Grisly Fan said:
grizd said:
Grisly Fan said:

a decent example would be Dennis Washington.
http://www.dpwfoundation.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Washington" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Relax guys, there are plenty of good examples. Why are you questioning a man who spoke to COLLEGE GRADUATES on the day that they GRADUATED. The majority of them weren't listening and thinking they had one last chance to get drunk and screw a person before they leave.

This thread reeks of an inferiority complex. Who gives a fuck? Be happy for our graduates and let it go!!

Engstrom should be gutted out tied across the hood of a' 58 Ford, but NOT for what he said at Commencent. Christ, he's finally sticking up for the University!

So let me get this straight... Enrollment is declining and RE needs to fix that, but he better not tell people that a college education is important. Some of you people are just ridiculous.

i do love the griz said:
So let me get this straight... Enrollment is declining and RE needs to fix that, but he better not tell people that a college education is important. Some of you people are just ridiculous.

I don't know what Engstrom said today, but Yellowstone said he said this: "college grads contribute more to society than non grads". Love the Griz, what Y said E said is not that "a college education is important". Why can't you and others just stick to debating what Y said E said, and not make up something else--unless you can tell us exactly what E said?

I logged on to this site looking for purely factual information regarding whether this man does, in fact, suck. I am gravely disappointed. Where are the facts?

Fact? Facts? Never post facts on Egriz. It ruins the complaining and bitching.

If you like the president...good for you. If you think he sucks that also is great in your opinion.

I hope we get a new president. If we do I hope he is pro football and UM sports in general.

Until then we have Royce. An ex chem. prof that should have stuck to teaching.

Adm. is way over his head. But until he leaves we have him. Or he haves us?

Back