• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Same ole Stitt different week

goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:
Grizz Man said:
goatcreekgriz said:
Four FGs yesterday. FGs were the cushion when the game was 37-22, Cats were building momentum, and the zebras blew the roughing call on Lider. Yeah, only a 7 win team but definitely a playoff team and (maybe) a contender without the stubborn approach to going for it on fourth down. The Weber loss nearly cost the Griz a home playoff game next Saturday.

If Bob Stitt lost us the Weber game, then he also won us the NDSU game. I think he's a great coach and at this point we should all feel pretty good about the season. Stitt is just getting started - next year is going to be even more fun, and I can't wait to see what we do in the playoffs this year!
The D has saved his ars this year and most of that crew is gone next year. So how much fun next year remains to be seen.

No doubt re the NDSU game, and I thought employing a similar strategy against Cal Poly was just fine (even though the Griz lost). I still believe coaching decisions resulted in a loss to Weber State in a very different situation, and I am pleased that the strategy on FGs seems to have evolved. But for incredible luck (which always counts, too) at the end of the game in Pocatello, the Weber State loss would have resulted in many of us doing something else next Saturday -- instead of cheering at the stadium in Missoula. I think Stitt is a good coach and I am glad UM hired him. The Griz could have won more games this year, particularly if the coaching philosophy on FGs had evolved more quickly, and I am happy it did ultimately evolve. Besides, I hate the idea of losing to Weber State at home the way it played out. I am pleased that the Griz are hosting a playoff game despite the Weber loss. Next year? Who knows? I am just going to enjoy Saturday, and wish that Mariani had one more game of eligibility.

Very good and reasonable post. But don't remind us of how lucky we were to have beaten ISU, after being totally out-coached in that game just like we were against Weber, PSU, and Poly.

kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Yeah, we hired "gimmick Bob" Stitt because of his supposed offensive genius and unfettered bravado in moving up to FCS football and showing us how the Division II boys do it! After he cost us two losses, an undefeated conference record, and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, I guess he finally figured out that his Stitt didn't work up here. Maybe that's why no other head coach in FCS or FBS football tries that stupid Stitt!
Seems ATL tihnks the Griz would have beat PSU without Stitt as HC.....guess he better go give Bobby another stroke of the nubbin'
The CPSLO and Weber games are valid points. Not so PSU; that was a thorough ars-kicking. Hard to blame Stitt for the limitations of the 3rd string QB and an off-day for the D.

The PSU game was an ass kicking because Stitt limited Simis only to throwing long passes in impossible conditions. The PSU QB tried it once too, with disasterous results. No QB including Gustafson could have passed long that day. We have ZERO running attack, which doomed us to being throttled. Do ya THINK that perhaps having a tight end, and a blocking back on our roster JUST MAY HAVE HELPED US in that PSU game????? And, who was it that got rid of all of our TEs, and converted the best blocking back in the league to a D-tackle??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Atlanta Griz1 said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
Yeah, we hired "gimmick Bob" Stitt because of his supposed offensive genius and unfettered bravado in moving up to FCS football and showing us how the Division II boys do it! After he cost us two losses, an undefeated conference record, and home field advantage throughout the playoffs, I guess he finally figured out that his Stitt didn't work up here. Maybe that's why no other head coach in FCS or FBS football tries that stupid Stitt!
Seems ATL tihnks the Griz would have beat PSU without Stitt as HC.....guess he better go give Bobby another stroke of the nubbin'
The CPSLO and Weber games are valid points. Not so PSU; that was a thorough ars-kicking. Hard to blame Stitt for the limitations of the 3rd string QB and an off-day for the D.

The PSU game was an ass kicking because Stitt limited Simis only to throwing long passes in impossible conditions. The PSU QB tried it once too, with disasterous results. No QB including Gustafson could have passed long that day. We have ZERO running attack, which doomed us to being throttled. Do ya THINK that perhaps having a tight end, and a blocking back on our roster JUST MAY HAVE HELPED US in that PSU game????? And, who was it that got rid of all of our TEs, and converted the best blocking back in the league to a D-tackle??? Inquiring minds want to know!

You may be correct Steve but the running game is actually getting better. No star, but the o-line has improved to a point that attitude is starting to show on the field. But Bob still has more actual success as a head college football coach than you do. Very few who comment more than a few times per season on here have actual head college football coaching as part of their resume. I actually like reading some of your opinions and insights but having to filter the garbage you throw in is getting real old (and yes an know others contribute to it but you can act more mature and let it go).

Atlanta Griz1 said:
kemajic said:
grizindabox said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

The bolded maybe the dumbest thing you have ever posted...and that is saying something....

I also guess that the Griz will never be able to compete without TE's and FB's....I mean there are no offenses that can without those.....

goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:
Grizz Man said:
goatcreekgriz said:
Four FGs yesterday. FGs were the cushion when the game was 37-22, Cats were building momentum, and the zebras blew the roughing call on Lider. Yeah, only a 7 win team but definitely a playoff team and (maybe) a contender without the stubborn approach to going for it on fourth down. The Weber loss nearly cost the Griz a home playoff game next Saturday.

If Bob Stitt lost us the Weber game, then he also won us the NDSU game. I think he's a great coach and at this point we should all feel pretty good about the season. Stitt is just getting started - next year is going to be even more fun, and I can't wait to see what we do in the playoffs this year!
The D has saved his ars this year and most of that crew is gone next year. So how much fun next year remains to be seen.

No doubt re the NDSU game, and I thought employing a similar strategy against Cal Poly was just fine (even though the Griz lost). I still believe coaching decisions resulted in a loss to Weber State in a very different situation, and I am pleased that the strategy on FGs seems to have evolved. But for incredible luck (which always counts, too) at the end of the game in Pocatello, the Weber State loss would have resulted in many of us doing something else next Saturday -- instead of cheering at the stadium in Missoula. I think Stitt is a good coach and I am glad UM hired him. The Griz could have won more games this year, particularly if the coaching philosophy on FGs had evolved more quickly, and I am happy it did ultimately evolve. Besides, I hate the idea of losing to Weber State at home the way it played out. I am pleased that the Griz are hosting a playoff game despite the Weber loss. Next year? Who knows? I am just going to enjoy Saturday, and wish that Mariani had one more game of eligibility.

You're right, he's evolved and that's a sign that he's not as stubborn as some make him out to be. But I still like his aggressive approach, and it will pay over time. His unique approach gives us a shot to win games that we wouldn't otherwise win, and he's willing to fine-tuned his philosophy to win more of the games that we're "supposed" to win. True, we were very lucky against ISU, but we were really unlucky to lose Brady - in retrospect it's clear that the other QB's aren't cut out for this system. I hear that Pflug is looking really good, so hopefully if Brady gets injured next year we won't have such a tough job replacing him and winning games.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:
Grizz Man said:

Very good and reasonable post. But don't remind us of how lucky we were to have beaten ISU, after being totally out-coached in that game just like we were against Weber, PSU, and Poly.

So when we lose, is it talent level or being out coached? You seem to vacillate back and forth like you're bipolar or something....

[D]on't remind us of how lucky we were to have beaten ISU, after being totally out-coached in that game just like we were against Weber, PSU, and Poly.[/quote]

So when we lose, is it talent level or being out coached? You seem to vacillate back and forth like you're bipolar or something....[/quote]

I am not convinced Stitt was "totally out-coached" in any game. I think coaching strategy likely resulted in the loss to Weber State, which really ticked me off, but Weber ended up with a better record than they've had in a while, so they may have been a tougher opponent than it appeared then. Portland State seemingly has a better team than the Griz and the weather was a factor on the road, so it is hard to blame coaching there. Cal Poly made heckuva FG at the end against the Griz, then punched Arizona State in the mouth the next week and played them even into the 4th quarter, so Poly was playing well in September. Don't know what to say about Idaho State but the coaches don't commit turnovers. After the loss to Weber State, there was little margin for error and I am grateful for the lucky break in Pocatello. The good thing is that the season starts over on Saturday, and I think the coaching philosophy has evolved for the better -- like taking a shot at reasonable FG attempts instead of going for the jugular on 4th down. With the first-string QB back, and Jeremy Calhoun now getting red zone touches behind an improving offensive line, things look better for the Griz than a few weeks ago. Gotta give Stitt credit where credit is due, and I'm looking forward to Saturday.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:

I think the ISU coaching staff did a horrible job in that game. With KVA out, they could have run the ball down our throat all night with Finney. They did us a favor when they threw the ball. Horrible recognition of what could have been exploited.

Goody. Old Atlanta/Growler is out of jail again and is allowed to tell us what he learned while away. Lets hope he has reformed after taking all of the required "how to get along" classes. Most folks that are in the system actually learn how to rob steal and beat the common folks out of their money and things. Because he is already rich and is really a nice and loving husband I think he will conform to the rules of egriz law. Now about football? To grade him one must use a curve, but because he is the only one on the curve one needs to slow the game down so he can get on board. Slow down bud.

In any event it's good to see you out on bail. Blast away Atlanta but Stitt is here to stay and he beat EWU and MSU..... and made my day. No, actually my season!

...stitt ton of respect for stitt...
...the way he went after the ref...
...on the cat missed block spearing...
...love a coach that gets spitting pissed...

... :cool: ...

Zen, twas a great poetic post about coach Stitt.
Shows us Stitt gives a Stitt when mad....
That late spear should have been 15 yards! Plus!

Umista said:
Zen, twas a great poetic post about coach Stitt.
Shows us Stitt gives a Stitt when mad....
That late spear should have been 15 yards! Plus!

It took him some time to show a temper and burning passion. I get fired up when I see a coach show that kind of passion for his players and the game. Little things like that get players to literally run through a brick wall for you. :thumb:

Back