• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Some not happy about Grizzlies Champions Center...

The funny thing is, technically the "M" on Sentinel doesn't have a damned thing to do with UM other than it overlooks the campus. The "M" is (was) for Missoula County High School.

The "M" in Bozeman is actually for "state," but it is all the way across town from their campus.

Main Hall (to me) is more iconic to the U than the "M" on Sentinel.

Interesting....one of my parents who grew up in Missoula claimed that for a time it actually spelled out "MCHS" with the rocks for Missoula County High School, with the "L" being for Loyola Sacred Heart. Curiouser and curiouser...

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Interesting....one of my parents who grew up in Missoula claimed that for a time it actually spelled out "MCHS" with the rocks for Missoula County High School, with the "L" being for Loyola Sacred Heart. Curiouser and curiouser...
"Sentinel" long had its "S" on the side of Mount Dean Stone, even when it was at the Hellgate location.

When the "new" high school was built and stole the name "Sentinel" and all the trophies, the new "Hellgate" took up a space on Mount Jumbo for an "H" which was south of the "L" and then, in a fit of environmental correctness, one of the Hellgate classes in the 1980s declared it "not PC" and it was destroyed.

The good story isn't from here, unfortunately. It relates to a suburb of San Diego that, in the 1950s, decided to proudly display its name in whitewashed rocks on a bluff overlooking the town. However, the civic pride in "Bird Rock" took on a burdensome meaning when local teens took to moving the rocks around on Saturday nights to spell out "Bird Cock" and other variations, including when they had spare time to "Big ...," and the civic-minded citizens grew tired of rushing up on Sunday mornings to preserve the dignity of the town. Like the "H" on Mount Jumbo, it too was destroyed by choice.

jcglfer said:
zengriz said:
...only three contractors invited to bid...
...to put that in contractor language...
...what the fcuk is up with that...

... :?: ...
I'm an Asset Manager for a development corp and three bids is adequate. I don't know who the three contractors are but I'm assuming they're on an approved/vetted vendor list. I hate public fund bidding...lowest wins no matter how terrible your previous dealings has been with contractor...we don't do work for Housing Authorities now because of it...headache.

And 1 of the 3 contractors is a HUGE Montana State supporter and calls Missoula home. :?

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
The funny thing is, technically the "M" on Sentinel doesn't have a damned thing to do with UM other than it overlooks the campus. The "M" is (was) for Missoula County High School.

The "M" in Bozeman is actually for "state," but it is all the way across town from their campus.

Not in the 70's

An H (Hellgate)& an L (loyola) were on Jumbo....
An S (Sentinel, MCHS) on Dean Stone.....same one my Dad help whiten in the 50's (prior to sentinel being built)
and the "M" and a few frat letters were and are still on Sentinel.....

The EX of Sigma Chi still shows below and to the south of the M in the spring where fertilizer was spread by pledges for decades......

Bear Axed said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:

Not in the 70's

An H (Hellgate)& an L (loyola) were on Jumbo....
An S (Sentinel, MCHS) on Dean Stone.....same one my Dad help whiten in the 50's (prior to sentinel being built)
and the "M" and a few frat letters were and are still on Sentinel.....

The EX of Sigma Chi still shows below and to the south of the M in the spring where fertilizer was spread by pledges for decades......

Ah - that is it - I must have gotten that mixed up! Thanks! :thumb:

Back