• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Southern Utah Thunderbirds Scouting Report

BWahlberg

DONOR
Well we’re just a few days away from our first of three home games in a row, and we’re hosting the defending Big Sky champs, Southern Utah.

Southern Utah Thunderbirds 2-1

0-24 loss @ Utah – SUU’s defense held fairly well for a while, it was 3-0 at the end of the 1st quarter and 17-0 at the half. They gave up a total of 436 yard on the day, nearly 300 passing. SUU’s offense was pretty terrible in this game. Just 7 first downs in the whole game, 2 of 12 on 3rd down, and 156 total yards of offense, they only crossed midfield twice on the day.

28-23 win vs SE Louisiana – SLU (Southland Conference with McNeese/SFA/ect) came to town and grabbed an early lead of 17-7 on SUU. The Thunderbirds were able to get within 3, making it 17-14 right before the half. SUU made the right halftime adjustments, preventing SLU from getting the ball much at all with two opening 3 and outs, then forcing a turnover on downs. Meanwhile the SUU offense tacked on two TDs to go up 28-17. SLU finally scored with 3:33 left but failed the 2-point. They kicked the ball away and held SUU after a few plays, but with the ball back and just 1:12 left in the game they tossed a pick to end it. SUU was very balanced in this game, 215 rushing and 222 passing, while SLU got most of their yards in the air, about 275 passing. Southern Utah forced two picks in the game plus that turnover on downs which was deep in their own territory.

45-31 win vs PSU – SUU’s offense came alive, some of which came in thanks to forcing a bunch of turnovers and turning those into points. With 10:00 left in the 2nd quarter PSU scored a TD on a fumble recovery to go up 10-7, it was an odd play, a PSU WR catches a pass but is hit and fumbles the ball. Another PSU WR pick the ball up near the endzone and reaches across for the TD. Then SUU rattled off 24 points in that quarter to set the halftime score to 31-10. PSU battled back and twice got within 7 points. They scored with 12:00 left in the game to get the score to 38-31 SUU. PSU hung tough in the game and after a few failed possessions got down to the SUU 4 yard line with 12 seconds left in the game… and then tossed a pick-6, which sealed the deal for SUU. In the game SUU ran for 290 and passed for 250, meanwhile PSU ran for 230 and passed for 275. SUU grabbed 4 picks in the game and forced two fumbles! A lot of SUU’s TDs were huge plays, a 90 yard TD pass, a 71 yard TD run, an 87 yard TD run, and a 37 yard TD run.

General Stats

Major categories
Pass YPG: Montana 296 ypg - SUU 171 ypg
Rush YPG: Montana 107 ypg - SUU 208 ypg
Total YPG: Montana 404 ypg - SUU 397 ypg
Offense PPG: Montana 34 ppg - SUU 24.3 ppg
Defense PPG: Montana 29 ppg - SUU 26 ppg
Turnover Margin: Montana -3 - SUU +4

Additional categories
TOP: Montana 28:37 - SUU 25:42
Offense Red Zone TD%: Montana 64% - SUU 67%
Defense Red Zone TD%: Montana 64% - SUU 57%
Offense 3rd down %: Montana 35% - SUU 27%
Defense 3rd down %: Montana 32% - SUU 41%
Total Plays per game: Montana 78 - SUU 65

Total statistical advantage Montana 7 to SUU 5

Players to Watch

#4 Malik Brown – RB: Brown is a 6-1, 205 pound running back, he’s averaging about 122 per game on the ground and has just 1 rushing TD this season. He’s their main workhorse, about 20 carries per game.

#11 Mike Sharp – WR: Sharp is the leading WR for the Thunderbirds, he’s got 217 yards and 3 TDs this season, he’s the big-play WR on the team, he’s averaging 22 yards per catch!

#3 Patrick Tyler – QB: A taller QB at 6-4, Tyler’s credited with playing in the Utah game… but I don’t think he did, SUU played a different QB. In the SLU and PSU game he’s averaging 220 per game passing. Tyler started SUU’s 2nd game after their named starter was hurt against Utah and the backup was pretty terrible.

#85 Raysean Pringle – WR/RB: Looks like Pringle is mostly a running back than a WR. He’s averaging 54 rushing yards per game and has 2 rushing TDs (including a 71 yard rush). He’s got 2 receptions this season so far. He’s also the main kick returner but has just an 8.2 yard per return average. This dude has wheels, don’t let him get going up the field.

#88 Steven Wrobeleski – TE: Maybe one of the better TEs we’ll see this season. He’s a huge dude at 6-7, 260. Last year he had about 365 yards and 3 TDs. This year he’s the 2nd leading receiver on the team with 103 yards this year.

#34 Mike Needham – LB: Needham leads the team in many defensive categories, 31 tackles, 5.5 TFLs both best on the team. He’s got 1 sack, but no one else on the team has more than 1. He also has 1 INT this season.

#30 Tyler Collet – S: Collet has 3 picks this season already, he’s got 15 tackles and has forced a fumble too.

#94 Taylor Nelson – LB: Nelson has 23 tackles this season and 4 TFLs, 1 sack, and 1 forced fumble.

#98 Chance Bearnson – DE: Chance has had an incredibly slow start to the season. He was named 1st team all conference for this year after leading the team with 13 TFLs last season. Just 5 tackles and 1.5 TFLs this season, he does have an interception.

Keys to a Grizzly Victory

1. Keep up the passing attack but spread the ball around more. I think it’s assumed that the team won’t just get by every week throwing the ball to JLM 253 times per game. We’ve got Lyons, Calhoun, Curran, Homan, Horner, Bingham, and others to get the ball too. SUU’s shown a bit of a weakness through the air – so exploit it.

2. Limit Turnovers. Looking at how SUU’s defense forces turnovers has me a little concerned. They obviously know how to get after the ball and really make teams pay for it. They’re +4 this year and averaging nearly 3 forced turnovers per game. The Griz have had two games with some very costly/sloppy turnovers. If that happens on Saturday against SUU it’s going to be a damn tough thing to overcome.

3. No big plays. PSU buried themselves by giving up big play after big play. Of SUU’s 45 points they only visited the PSU red zone once! And SUU has to be excited about what the Poly game film showed them with the big plays given up there. I noticed in watching the PSU highlights that the PSU linebackers lost their containment pretty quickly on the big run plays. They’d bunch up in the middle and the SUU runners would cut outside and be gone.

4. Find some ground game. If it’s Calhoun or Counts, or Nguyen… we’ve got to get a ground game going here. This team cannot become totally 1-dimensional or else we’ll see more nail biting games like we’ve seen so far this year.

5. Get SUU in to tough 3rd down spots. SUU on 3rd down this season has not been good. Forcing more 3rd and medium to 3rd and long downs will help keep the defense from being on the field all day and get the ball back to the offense.

6. Get JLM or Lyons some chances on returns. I’m noticing that SUU gives up a big bulk of yards on both kick and punt returns. JLM is our main punt returner and him and Lyons split duties on kick returns.

7. Keep pressure on the QB. SUU’s young QB is starting his 1st road game in Wa Griz. I’m sure the fans will make him feel welcome, but what’ll even be better is for Kidder, Johnson, Strahm, Buss, and company to make him feel that warm welcome.

8. Show SUU who is best in key situations, mostly 3rd down and in the red zone. The Grizzly offense shows they’re more proficient converting 3rd downs by far, and while SUU has a slightly better RZ %... it’s based off just a handful of visits.

-------------------

I think the Griz come out angry and play sharp. The biggest thing we’ll need to see is a rebound from our defense (which I think we will) and some sort of semblance of a running game to help balance out the attack on offense (which I’m not sure of, we’ll have to see). I’ve seen posts suggesting SUU’s front 7 is maybe as good as, if not better than the UNI front 7 so it could make the day real tough for the Griz. Statistically SUU doesn’t really show that… but they’ve got two 1st team all-conference guys there and a stud safety that’s having a hell of a start to the season, they’re going to be stout on defense, I’d venture much better than Cal Poly.

This one should be a battle! I’m thinking this is going to be more of a showdown of defenses and who makes the fewest errors. In a tight homecoming game, Griz win it 28-17.

GO GRIZ!

So are the numbers correct and just a typo where you have Cal Poly?

Defense third down
Total plays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bscwatcher said:
So are the numbers correct and just a typo where you have Cal Poly?

Defense third down
Total plays

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah my bad, I use a template and just over write the prior weeks.

BozAngelesGriz said:
didnt know we were doing so well in the TOP category this season.

So far so good, compared to how we did last season, when we averaged 26:00 TOP (roughly)

SFU - 29:13
UNI - 26:54
Poly - 29:44

BWahlberg said:
BozAngelesGriz said:
didnt know we were doing so well in the TOP category this season.

So far so good, compared to how we did last season, when we averaged 26:00 TOP (roughly)

SFU - 29:13
UNI - 26:54
Poly - 29:44
I was REALLY impressed with how much TOP we had against Poly.

grizcountry420 said:
Montana's turnover margin is -3

We've lost the ball 7 times

We've taken over the ball 4 times

You're right... not sure what I was reading when I looked at the numbers.

BWahlberg said:
grizcountry420 said:
Montana's turnover margin is -3

We've lost the ball 7 times

We've taken over the ball 4 times

You're right... not sure what I was reading when I looked at the numbers.
Were you reading the kool-aid packet again? :lol:

Latest posts

Back