• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Spring Ball is Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
StumptownGriz said:
I feel like we are still a year away. Excited to watch this extremely young team develop. I think this year will say a lot about where this team and coaching staff is headed in the next 2-3 years. Should be one of the more exciting Springs we've had.

Mr. Stitt doesn't have another year.

In all seriousness, why a two practices & two meetings, spring break and then back to work? Does the group that picks the spring game have that much sway? It is Montana after all, spring shows up when it's ready.

I like the anticipation and excitement of not knowing how this years team will react and perform. If we get good, consistent quarterback play the Griz should be good on both sides of the ball.

bgbigdog said:
In all seriousness, why a two practices & two meetings, spring break and then back to work? Does the group that picks the spring game have that much sway? It is Montana after all, spring shows up when it's ready.

I'm curious if the meetings count towards the 15 practices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

uofmman1122 said:
Harm said:
Here's to the outside chance they actually win some games against teams above .500....
Well, Stitt has improved on the previous coach's record there.

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?
overall: Stitt 14-10; Delaney 24-14 advantage Delaney
vs BS teams: Stitt 9-8; Delaney 16-9 advantage Delaney
vs. MSU: Stitt 1-1; Delaney 2-1 advantage Delaney
playoffs: Stitt 1-1; Delaney 1-2 advantage Stitt

Never let the facts get in your way.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Harm said:
Here's to the outside chance they actually win some games against teams above .500....

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?

Football was flat out not very good during the Delaney years. He tried to make JJ into an under the center pro style qb and it wasn't until he let him operate out of the gun that we ended up having the one good season while losing at home to CCU in the cold bowl. I like Mick; he is a very good guy and he came along at the right time for what should have been only one season, but his time was also the source of our very poor o-line recruiting which has significantly impacted the last few years of team production. Nobody can argue that the roster isn't loaded with a great deal of talent now. I like the program building that is going on by emphasizing team building, individual accountability, instilling leadership in young players, and bringing in quality academic athletes that really feel they are going to be part of something special. Stitt is trying to change the culture and so far he has mixed results. The coaching needs to show marked improvement this season or else some new coach is going to inherit a great deal of talent next year.

uofmman1122 said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:
Harm said:

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hes also

1-1 against NDSU one of those years being a natty championship squad...

and 1-1 against EWU,

the bad one is 1-1 against the Scats....that needs to be corrected.
Yup. Not everything has sucked under Stitt, but he needs to get his teams to turn the corner. We haven't had that since 2011 and it's getting a little frustrating.

I do think 2015's team got a raw deal in the playoffs having to play the toughest 1-2 draw of any team. In another part of the bracket, we may very well have gone into the Quarters or better. Wouldn't have won it all, of course, but probably could've made a little more respectable showing.

That will always be the case with the committees glorious regionalization plan.....NDSU, SDSU, Montana EWU...we will always play eachother in those first 2 rounds.

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Harm said:

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?
overall: Stitt 14-10; Delaney 24-14 advantage Delaney by

To be fair here, you gotta compare both by two seasons as Stitt has only had two seasons.

Overall: Stitt 14-10; Delaney 15-9 - Advantage Delaney by +1
vs BS Teams: Stitt 9-8; Delaney 10-7 - Advantage Delaney by +1
vs MSU: Stitt 1-1; Delaney 1-1 - Draw
Playoffs: Stitt 1-1; Delaney 1-1 - Draw

Pretty even, but Stitt has faired better against .500 or greater teams, going 7-7 vs Delaney's 4-7, granted Stitt has had three more games against .500 or greater teams.

go96griz said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Harm said:

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?

Football was flat out not very good during the Delaney years. He tried to make JJ into an under the center pro style qb and it wasn't until he let him operate out of the gun that we ended up having the one good season while losing at home to CCU in the cold bowl.

Imagine how much better Delaney's record might have been if he hadn't driven the caddy in the ditch as you note. JJ was perfect for Pflu's O, but it wasn't something coach D was comfortable with. That supposes that he could have found a suitable substitute for JJ's gap year.

Spanky said:
The caddy left with Bobby Hauck.

Completely disagree. Pflu absolutely had the program headed in the right direction. The Caddy was about to roll over the BSC and potentially there would have been a NC appearance. Bummer that the JJ situation happened and Rolls rolled his Pinto management style into town. Everyone is always worshiping BH. He was a great coach, but he left on his own voltition. He left - he was not fired or shown the door. Everyone is enamored with a coach who left the program voluntarily for greener pastures. I wish him nothing but the best of of luck, but he shot himself in the foot if he thought he was going to get the job back. (Never confirmed that he wanted it back, but sure a lot of noise around that topic). Stitt is here. Has the recruits in house that could take the program back to where it once was. I hope he does.

Copper Griz said:
Stitt is here. Has the recruits in house that could take the program back to where it once was. I hope he does.
We all do. It's just that the way 2016 regressed, there is far more hope than confidence.

kemajic said:
Copper Griz said:
Stitt is here. Has the recruits in house that could take the program back to where it once was. I hope he does.
We all do. It's just that the way 2016 regressed, there is far more hope than confidence.

I don't disagree. I just happen to think it was a lot more than the coaching that was problematic. I have said before the O Line was not good. Couple that with major problems at the QB position and Houston We Have A Problem. Could Stitt and Co. have done a better job? Yep, but this year will be very telling on how the players and coaching improve (God forbid they get worse - really not sure it can be much worse). Stitt had some very good skill players his first year. Last year he had some young kids learning as they went. Let's hope they improve and mature. The defense is still an unknown for me. Both from a coaching and personnel stand point. I hope they pleasantly surprise.

get'em_griz said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Harm said:

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?

To be fair here, you gotta compare both by two seasons as Stitt has only had two seasons.

Pretty even, but Stitt has faired better against .500 or greater teams, going 7-7 vs Delaney's 4-7, granted Stitt has had three more games against .500 or greater teams.
This. Jesus. :lol:

Thanks, get'em.

Against teams above .500, it isn't even close.

Which is what I originally said.

Even if you include all of Delaney's games from 2014, he's still just 5-11 against teams better than .500. Stitt's teams have played nearly the same number of above-.500 teams in two years that Delaney's did in three, with a better record.

To be fair, Stitt has lost 3 games to sub-.500 teams, while Delaney lost only 2, and that's not okay, but that's not what we were talking about.

This shit right here is why eGriz is just awful these days.

Copper Griz said:
kemajic said:
Copper Griz said:

I don't disagree. I just happen to think it was a lot more than the coaching that was problematic. I have said before the O Line was not good. Couple that with major problems at the QB position and Houston We Have A Problem. Could Stitt and Co. have done a better job? Yep, but this year will be very telling on how the players and coaching improve (God forbid they get worse - really not sure it can be much worse). Stitt had some very good skill players his first year. Last year he had some young kids learning as they went. Let's hope they improve and mature. The defense is still an unknown for me. Both from a coaching and personnel stand point. I hope they pleasantly surprise.

Also unknowns going into this season: Improved O-Line? QB?

Like Kem said, "more hope than confidence."

go96griz said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Harm said:

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?

Football was flat out not very good during the Delaney years. He tried to make JJ into an under the center pro style qb and it wasn't until he let him operate out of the gun that we ended up having the one good season while losing at home to CCU in the cold bowl. I like Mick; he is a very good guy and he came along at the right time for what should have been only one season, but his time was also the source of our very poor o-line recruiting which has significantly impacted the last few years of team production. Nobody can argue that the roster isn't loaded with a great deal of talent now. I like the program building that is going on by emphasizing team building, individual accountability, instilling leadership in young players, and bringing in quality academic athletes that really feel they are going to be part of something special. Stitt is trying to change the culture and so far he has mixed results. The coaching needs to show marked improvement this season or else some new coach is going to inherit a great deal of talent next year.

What a bunch of flat out jibberish. If it wasn't good under Delaney, then it really sucks under Stitt. Delaney did a ton to change the culture in terms of team building, accountability, leadership here and if Stitt is changing it from what Delaney instilled, then we all need to brace ourselves. Under Delaney, the culture was better than it had been in at least 15 years. Maybe ever. He's as upstanding of a coach as we've ever had. No need to change the culture.

uofmman1122 said:
get'em_griz said:
kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:

So there's that.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Really?

Thanks, get'em.

Even if you include all of Delaney's games from 2014, he's still just 5-11 against teams better than .500. Stitt's teams have played nearly the same number of above-.500 teams in two years that Delaney's did in three, with a better record.

To be fair, Stitt has lost 3 games to sub-.500 teams, while Delaney lost only 2, and that's not okay, but that's not what we were talking about.

To be fair? So Delaney has to count the season that followed all hell breaking loose and when JJ was off the team and he went 3-5, 5-6, but noting comparable happened to Stitt? Interesting sense of fairness you have.

Copper Griz said:
Spanky said:
The caddy left with Bobby Hauck.

Completely disagree. Pflu absolutely had the program headed in the right direction... Everyone is always worshiping BH. He was a great coach, but he left on his own voltition. He left - he was not fired or shown the door. Everyone is enamored with a coach who left the program voluntarily for greener pastures.

He beat feet, hoping the first ride he could find out of Missoula. Didn't matter who stopped and opened the door - he was gone. Had he gone out with an NC, you might feel better about being abandoned, but it was clear he felt he'd outgrown the FCS. Patience wasn't on his list of virtues. He got and is getting what he earned.

getgrizzy said:
uofmman1122 said:
get'em_griz said:
kemajic said:
Really?

Thanks, get'em.

To be fair? So Delaney has to count the season that followed all hell breaking loose and when JJ was off the team and he went 3-5, 5-6, but noting comparable happened to Stitt? Interesting sense of fairness you have.
Even if you throw out 2012, Stitt (7-7) still has a better record against above-.500 teams (Delaney went 4-8, including 1-3 in 2013, our "best" team by record since 2011).

Soooooooooooooo...

dayday said:
bgbigdog said:

I'm curious if the meetings count towards the 15 practices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They don't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back