• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt addresses passing on FGs

AZGrizFan said:
Eriul said:
I just have a hard time with people who are wrong in the face of blatant statistics and logic. Box is just trying to argue to argue. Oh wells. I'm gonna go study now. Done trying to show numbers to people ignoring them

I'm a little late to this game since I'm in the middle of the ocean, but if a team fails to produce meaningful offense on 5 of 6 drives, who is it REALLY that fails to recognize blatant statistics and logic?

And you must have also missed me pointing out that on those 5 drives we actually didn't do too horrible. There is a post about me posting the yards/possession of those 5 drives. While it is obviously low(because you're taking the 5 worst drives) it still isn't horrible. For comparison sake if all our drives were like those 5 drives, we would still be averaging more yards/possession than the Philedelphia Eagles do now.

You also have 2 of the possessions started with great field position but we had our red zone woes halt us. I really don't understand how you can think our offense was looking horrible the second half

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Eriul said:
I just have a hard time with people who are wrong in the face of blatant statistics and logic. Box is just trying to argue to argue. Oh wells. I'm gonna go study now. Done trying to show numbers to people ignoring them

I'm a little late to this game since I'm in the middle of the ocean, but if a team fails to produce meaningful offense on 5 of 6 drives, who is it REALLY that fails to recognize blatant statistics and logic?

Bingo, Eriul wants to overlook the biggest statistic of all...

I haven't overlooked it. I actually addressed it in a statistical analysis while you guys insist that we have no offense because we went 3 and out once. *yawn*

Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Eriul said:

I haven't overlooked it. I actually addressed it in a statistical analysis while you guys insist that we have no offense because we went 3 and out once. *yawn*

yep, that is what we said...

grizindabox said:
Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

Basically it is...2 of the 5 drives should have been points on the board, One went 28 yards. One went 18 yards after being down to our 5, and we had one three and out.

Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
Eriul said:
grizindabox said:

Basically it is...2 of the 5 drives should have been points on the board, One went 28 yards. One went 18 yards after being down to our 5, and we had one three and out.

The 5 drives in question:
4 plays 28 yards (21 on a single play)
7 plays 36 yards (turnover on downs on 9 yard line, started drive in Weber territory...if you want to call this a successful offensive drive...great...but it really wasn't even though they could have kicked a FG..opportunity was more from starting field position than good offense)
6 plays 29 yards(turnover of downs on 23 yard line, started near midfield...once again, opportunity to kick fg goal due to starting field position more than good offense)
6 plays 95 yards(ding..ding...ding...great drive)
3 plays 8 yards (enough said)

Almost every person will look at those 6 drives, and outside of the touchdown drive, be far from impressed with the offensive production. True, they could have kicked field goals, but those still would have been because of poor offensive production. If you want to consider every 30ish yard drive by the offense as successful...then great...we have vastly differing opinions.

grizindabox said:
Eriul said:
30 yards is an average possession throughout football.

There is the key word...

Yah. You're also ignoring our best possession. We were significantly above average throughout the half. We're not the only team to get a big play ever...

I guess when we're bad we're only average and that's not good?

Logic fail

Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
Eriul said:

There is the key word...

Yah. You're also ignoring our best possession. We were significantly above average throughout the half. We're not the only team to get a big play ever...

Logic fail

I am not ignoring it. Your stat was per possession, not per half. By your own stat, they had a well above average drive, 3 average drives and 2 below average drives. How difficult is it to see that 5 of 6 drives were average or below. If you believe the offense played well in the second half with 5 of the 6 drives average or worse....great. If you take into account that the average starting field position is your own 30 yard line...how many scores do you get if you are an average team....since you would be at your opponents 40, probably not very many.

grizindabox said:
Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
Eriul said:

There is the key word...

Logic fail

I am not ignoring it. Your stat was per possession, not per half. By your own stat, they had a well above average drive, 3 average drives and 2 below average drives. How difficult is it to see that 5 of 6 drives were average or below. If you believe the offense played well in the second half with 5 of the 6 drives average or worse....great. If you take into account that the average starting field position is your own 30 yard line...how many scores do you get if you are an average team....since you would be at your opponents 40, probably not very many.

And 4 of 6 went average or better? I don't understand how you don't see the contradiction in your argument. And yes if you start from your own 30 and went exactly average all day you wouldn't score. But you will have above average drives, such as our big drive, and you will score. You will also get 3 and outs. Yay we're learning basic mathematics! The problem comes that yes if we started every drive from our 30 then our offense would have only scored once. That's obviously horrible. But we didn't start from our 30. We had great field position and didn't capatilize in the red zone(our woes all year). I think that's basically the problem we have and that obviously needs to be addressed.

Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
Eriul said:
grizindabox said:
There is the key word...

Logic fail

And 4 of 6 went average or better? I don't understand how you don't see the contradiction in your argument. And yes if you start from your own 30 and went exactly average all day you wouldn't score. But you will have above average drives, such as our big drive, and you will score. You will also get 3 and outs. Yay we're learning basic mathematics! The problem comes that yes if we started every drive from our 30 then our offense would have only scored once. That's obviously horrible. But we didn't start from our 30. We had great field position and didn't capatilize in the red zone(our woes all year). I think that's basically the problem we have and that obviously needs to be addressed.

My point...to be a good team....a good offense....they need not be average, they need to be better than that....have 5 of 6 drives average or worse is not a good team of offense. Take a look at pretty much any drive summary of any team in the top 5.....they will have above average drives more than 17% of their drives. And not capitalizing when having great field position is also a sign of an average or below offense...thanks for making some of my point for me....

You keep making it sound like average is good....average is not good....it is average. Good offenses, efficient offenses, offenses more likely to score, offenses that sustain drives are not average....they are above average....

After thinking about it for a few days, I think the problem is passing on FGs. If you want a FG, you have to kick the ball. You cannot pass and expect to get a FG. Maybe it's different in DII or something. I'm hoping they are working on this in practice. Seems like an easy fix.

Latest posts

Back