• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Stitt Cleaning House?

AZGrizFan

DONOR
Prior to signing day We knew about:

Parker
Rasmussen
Nacaratto
Pflug
Peoples
Henderson
Burke

Now with the roster "updated" we're missing:

WR Janssen
RB Logwood
RB Carl Johnson
LB Zach Vis
LB Tyler Richtmyer
OL Joe Paolina
OL LaRowe
OL Rokich
OL Clark
WR Hollenback
WR Carlson

That is 18 guys gone. Not sure how many of them were on scholarship, but that sure is a ton of turnover in the past two years....

Honest question: is there room on the APR for that much turnover? If I was a Griz fan, that would be my only concern because if they aren't going to contribute on the field it's better to cut your losses, but not at the expense of cutting your throat.

I have no idea how the APR works, so someone closer to the situation would have to answer that....All I know is that's about 50 guys (counting graduates) that were on the roster when he was hired that aren't here now. That seems like a lot.

Could be the "official" roster on gogriz.com isn't complete yet? They have a lot of errors that I see so far (like a ton of people who redshirted last year being listed as Sophomores now).

As for APR, non-scholarship athletes are not counted...also, if a scholarship athlete graduates after leaving the program, it also does not count as a negative.....I think these 2 factors will cover most of the players that are no longer on the roster as far as APR calculation....so all the turnover will most likely have some effect....but nothing close to what people seem to think....

LongTimeCatFan said:
Honest question: is there room on the APR for that much turnover? If I was a Griz fan, that would be my only concern because if they aren't going to contribute on the field it's better to cut your losses, but not at the expense of cutting your throat.

This is something I worry about.

Vis quit on his own before last season had barely started. Richtmeyer quit on his own as well. Burke retired (concussion) some say Reese Carlson retired for the same thing. I also heard LaRowe graduated and wanted to just be done. There are a couple more on that list that I don't think need to necessarily be outed for anything, but I know they weren't cut by Stitt.

I'm sure Kyle will sort more of it out when he has the time.

As for the APR, I trust Stitt knows what he is doing. He ran a program that put academics about 1,000 times ahead of football for 15 years. I won't pretend to know or predict how the Stitt era will turn out in terms of wins and losses, but I know for a fact that he is hell bent on having the football program in the best academic standing it's ever been in, and his assistant coaches share that sentiment. Trust me, APR and academics is a high, high priority for Grizzly football right now.

havgrizfan said:
Vis quit on his own before last season had barely started. Richtmeyer quit on his own as well. Burke retired (concussion) some say Reese Carlson retired for the same thing. I also heard LaRowe graduated and wanted to just be done. There are a couple more on that list that I don't think need to necessarily be outed for anything, but I know they weren't cut by Stitt.

I'm sure Kyle will sort more of it out when he has the time.

As for the APR, I trust Stitt knows what he is doing. He ran a program that put academics about 1,000 times ahead of football for 15 years. I won't pretend to know or predict how the Stitt era will turn out in terms of wins and losses, but I know for a fact that he is hell bent on having the football program in the best academic standing it's ever been in, and his assistant coaches share that sentiment. Trust me, APR and academics is a high, high priority for Grizzly football right now.

I'm not doubting any of that. It just seems like a lot of turnover for a 936 APR program.

That number could be wrong as I got it from BN.

And is the threshold for penalties 930?

Seems like UM is dangerously close to the threshold and that's a whole lot of turnover for a program with not much wiggle room.

LongTimeCatFan said:
I'm not doubting any of that. It just seems like a lot of turnover for a 936 APR program.

That number could be wrong as I got it from BN.

And is the threshold for penalties 930?

Seems like UM is dangerously close to the threshold and that's a whole lot of turnover for a program with not much wiggle room.
what year are your numbers from? and what number drop off the 4 year rolling average ?
I think when not using kitty math.....we'll be just fine
:D

and what spread do you think the Kittens will get thumped by in Missoula next year?
My bet is by more than 25 points :thumb:

According to the NCAA you have a four-year window of below 930. If it's not improved by year four, you get a letter of reprimand and warning. If for a second year in row you are still below 930, you can be subject to loss of scholarships and practice time. Year three below 930, you can be subject to a one-year postseason ban. Year four of being below 930 can result in a restricted status or full loss of Division I status.

havgrizfan said:
According to the NCAA you have a four-year window of below 930. If it's not improved by year four, you get a letter of reprimand and warning. If for a second year in row you are still below 930, you can be subject to loss of scholarships and practice time. Year three below 930, you can be subject to a one-year postseason ban. Year four of being below 930 can result in a restricted status or full loss of Division I status.
Boy do the kittens know all about that,,,,,,

Just sayin"

:geek:

At the end of the 2014 academic year, Montana had an APR of 972, which brought that four-year average to 941. I can't find the numbers for the end of the 2015 school year anywhere.

havgrizfan said:
At the end of the 2014 academic year, Montana had an APR of 972, which brought that four-year average to 941. I can't find the numbers for the end of the 2015 school year anywhere.

Thanks for looking that up.

Stitt hopes second class gets Griz back on track

KYLE SAMPLE [email protected]

Hours after Joey Counts crossed the goal line to upset top-ranked and four-time defending champion North Dakota State, causing an electric atmosphere at Washington-Grizzly Stadium to register its most super-charged outburst, the Griz received the third commitment of Bob Stitt's second recruiting class.

One day later, the Griz added another. And two days after that, Stitt sat at his weekly news conference and spoke about how the nationally televised season-opening win had given the program a level of exposure it hadn't had in years.

But almost four months down the road, Montana was on a plane headed back to Missoula on the short side of a 37-6 second-round playoff loss that appeared even more lopsided after a quick one-over of the stat sheet.

Though neither game shaped Montana's overall recruiting strategy, they gave the program's first-year staff first-hand experiences of the type of team it was going to need to build if it wanted to relabel the Grizzlies as the most feared program in the FCS. So that's what the coaches set out to do – and that's what they hope they accomplished when the class was unveiled Wednesday afternoon.

"We want to be not good, but a great football team next year," said Stitt, standing at a podium at the Canyon Club atop Washington-Grizzly on Wednesday.

"If you play against a team like North Dakota State you see that all you need is a bunch of good, hardworking kids that will play together and you can do some great things," he added later that afternoon. "Definitely North Dakota State is where we want to be as far as physical football goes. That game showed us we need to continue to recruit on both sides of the ball and make us stronger."

Through the 8-5 campaign that ended Stitt's first season as head coach, the offensive line was often maligned and struggled to allow the Griz to build a rushing attack that threatened opposing defenses. And its defensive line, thinned by graduation and a shortage of scholarships, was battered in losses to Cal Poly, Portland State and Weber State.

But it wasn't until December and the second round of the playoffs that Montana's shortcoming in the trenches revealed how far the lines had regressed since the program went to back to back title games in the late 2000's.

In its second game against the Bison, Montana's offensive line failed to open holes for backs John Ngyuen and Jeremy Calhoun and the ground game produced just six yards and was all but abandoned in the second half. On the other side of the ball, the line was gashed for more than 250 yards, most of during the first half when the Bison blew the game open.

To its credit, the staff had already identified the lines as an area it knew it needed to upgrade. By the time of the Grizzlies' playoff defeat, they had already received commits from two prep offensive linemen – Arizona's Dylan Eickmeyer and Colorado's Ashton Torres – who were getting rave reviews in their home states, and were days away from adding another from a 6-foot-5 tackle who earned the nickname "Yeti" in Thayne Jackson.

Though the work to rectify the offensive line on the recruiting trail was mostly complete, the loss to NDSU reaffirmed Montana's recruiting mission.

"It just kind of backed up our plan that we are definitely looking in the right direction to fix this," Stitt said.

While the staff was able to scour the prep ranks for offensive linemen and will likely have the luxury of redshirting those it signed Wednesday, it had to quickly find help for a defensive line that lost its two starting ends – one a national player of the year – and a starting tackle. So it added junior college transfers Miles McKee-Osibodu and Brandt Davidson and is almost certain to add another transfer to add to the middle.

Montana also added Arizona residents Randy Rodriguez and Noah Gerald and Montanans Trace Bradshaw and Cole Rosling. While Gerald primarily played end at Williams Field, he was described as a dynamic pass rusher. And its not mistake that Rodriguez and Bradshaw were targeted because of the athleticism they bring.

The hope is the seven additions will add a level of depth and versatility to the trenches that will enhance the philosophy brought by new defensive coordinator Jason Semore.

"We needed some help there," Stitt said. "We struggled against the run and we struggle with depth with the inside guys.

Days after the loss to North Dakota State, Stitt was back in the Adams Center at his weekly news conference. In addition to a host of other topics Stitt said the program had to shed itself of players who took their scholarship as a right to coast through their time on campus – he wanted players to dedicate themselves to the team in anyway necessary to win.

In his second class the Griz found a couple handfuls of prospects with high academic standing. It put the recruits in a position to earn more academic aid, allowing Montana to trim the athletic funds that were doled and thus creating room for the program, which was devoid of four scholarship from past transgressions and strapped for cash, to free up aid for some late discoveries who "fell into our laps," as Stitt put it.

"All of these recruits have bought in to winning and supporting each other," Stitt said. "When we talked to these recruits we said this a way we could bring in a better recruiting class, a bigger recruiting class and they were more than willing to work out.

"I really feel like these kinds of kids could take it to another new level."

The APR scores for each school for all years can be accessed at the NCAA site. The Griz look fine. They had a low score a few years ago but that year will not count when the 4 year rolling average is determined after the 2015-2016 year. There is a lag period in tabulating the scores for each year. The Griz players who are leaving were all reserves for at least most of the year except for Henderson and his situation is much different than most.

Bear Axed said:
2011 would drop off?
can you find that?

I think I remember that was an under..... ;)

APR is a non-issue. The APR score from 11/12 of 887 that caused all the problems will drop off after the NCAA releases the 14/15 scores this June. Our average score for this year (14/15) will include 11/12 at 887, 12/13 at 957, 13/14 at 972 and the unannounced score for 14/15.

Other than our one real shit year our APR has been equal to or better than MSU. Last 6 years for U of M (from years 8/9 to 13/14) we scored 936, 950, 948, 887, 957, 972 and the Cats had 936, 932, 943, 950, 955 and 974.

And don't ask me how our listed 4 year average for last year was 938, if you take the 4 years I come up with an average of 941, but the NCAA website shows 938.

Sorry for all the numbers, it is the CPA in me.

84GRIZ said:
Bear Axed said:
2011 would drop off?
can you find that?

I think I remember that was an under..... ;)

APR is a non-issue. The APR score from 11/12 of 887 that caused all the problems will drop off after the NCAA releases the 14/15 scores this June. Our average score for this year (14/15) will include 11/12 at 887, 12/13 at 957, 13/14 at 972 and the unannounced score for 14/15.

Other than our one real shit year our APR has been equal to or better than MSU. Last 6 years for U of M (from years 8/9 to 13/14) we scored 936, 950, 948, 887, 957, 972 and the Cats had 936, 932, 943, 950, 955 and 974.

And don't ask me how our listed 4 year average for last year was 938, if you take the 4 years I come up with an average of 941, but the NCAA website shows 938.

Sorry for all the numbers, it is the CPA in me.

So bottom line: long-time stalker's concerns are unfounded. Imagine that.

:coffee:

signedbewildered said:
KYLE SAMPLE [email protected]

Days after the loss to North Dakota State, Stitt was back in the Adams Center at his weekly news conference. In addition to a host of other topics Stitt said the program had to shed itself of players who took their scholarship as a right to coast through their time on campus – he wanted players to dedicate themselves to the team in anyway necessary to win.

Is this a byproduct of Delaney's "players' friend" approach and Gregg's insistence on O-linemen being kind, God-fearin' boys? I can't imagine this attitude would have ever flown under Hauck's regime...

Back