• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Swagger" is the Stupidest Goal Ever

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I guess you also see Montana as the UNLV of FCS

Butte5518 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I guess you also see Montana as the UNLV of FCS

I know you are not as uneducated as you portray... WE all know he does great when handed a winning program, and crappy when he commits to turn around a poor program... it is just that obvious... How are you sure you are getting the winner and not the loser?

Ok, you two need to stop. I know I agree with Butte on this, but this bickering is ridiculous. We all want the best for the same team. We cheer in the same damn stadium. We have the same goal in mind. Quit it.

Really, bickering. Are you an old lady?

AllWeatherFan said:
The dictionary defines it as: "to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially: to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence."

You want that?

I did not know a definition of eGriz was in the dictionary.

AllWeatherFan said:
I was disappointed to read that Kent Haslam said: "I do think we need to get that toughness back, that swagger."

Look, I like and respect Kent, but there are plenty of successful coaches out there who are humble, calm, focused, strict, prepared, grounded, disciplined...and who love to win, but couldn't give a shit about "swagger."

John Wooden, for example. Perhaps the most successful college coach in history, in any sport.

Do you think Johnny W would have tolerated, much less encouraged, his players out there strutting around and acting like idiots? I think not. In fact, I think he would have sat their cocky asses on the bench.

Swagger is a style, not a goal. But there are coaches who are extremely successful who have a different style. Let's allow for that possibility. We don't need any more cocky blowhards in positions of leadership in this world.

Honest question: Swagger means earned confidence to me but even using your dictionary definition of swagger would you rather have swagger or what we have experienced the last several years ?

I think “swagger” is more of an undefinable attribute fans “imagine” seeing. It ties in completely with winning. Chicken and the egg kind of “impression” we glimpsed. It wasn’t like the players stuck their chests out further or literally strutted back to the huddle or LOS differently. The only thing I can think of … that we may have had more of when we were winning championships … and that I felt I could see … was “precision” within our execution. But of course all winning teams have that.

grizrgood said:
AllWeatherFan said:
I was disappointed to read that Kent Haslam said: "I do think we need to get that toughness back, that swagger."

Look, I like and respect Kent, but there are plenty of successful coaches out there who are humble, calm, focused, strict, prepared, grounded, disciplined...and who love to win, but couldn't give a shit about "swagger."

John Wooden, for example. Perhaps the most successful college coach in history, in any sport.

Do you think Johnny W would have tolerated, much less encouraged, his players out there strutting around and acting like idiots? I think not. In fact, I think he would have sat their cocky asses on the bench.

Swagger is a style, not a goal. But there are coaches who are extremely successful who have a different style. Let's allow for that possibility. We don't need any more cocky blowhards in positions of leadership in this world.

Honest question: Swagger means earned confidence to me but even using your dictionary definition of swagger would you rather have swagger or what we have experienced the last several years ?

Honest answer: To me, words have meaning, and there is a big difference between confidence and "swagger." I don't like swagger, and I generally think people who exhibit it are insecure. So I can't think of any situation in which I'd prefer swagger. But that's just me.

ordigger said:
AllWeatherFan said:
The dictionary defines it as: "to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially: to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence."

You want that?

I did not know a definition of eGriz was in the dictionary.

:lol:

Does dropping good passes mean the old swagger is gone? Becaused UM dropped a bunch that should have been caught by the swaggered guys.

GrizLA said:
Does dropping good passes mean the old swagger is gone? Becaused UM dropped a bunch that should have been caught by the swaggered guys.

Yep. In fact BH would bench one of those guys till he was 40 years old.

AllWeatherFan said:

Maybe he was thinking QB's and meant Swogger? :roll:

cclarkblues said:
GrizLA said:

Yep. In fact BH would bench one of those guys till he was 40 years old.
That would be a big bench.

Ok for you who don't know... swagger is General Patton versus pajama boy. Swagger is at least 30 some presidents versus mom jeans on a bicycle. Swagger is walking in the hell creek in Jordan and minding your own business. Doesn't mean cocky. Means don't screw with me. Means walking on the field and not thinking you can but knowing it's yours. If you can't understand then you don't get and never will.

Perhaps we should investigate the potential of bringing some swogger back in addition to some swagger. Maybe josh is interested! Haha, why the hell not?!? Not like he’ll come out dressed in green for his coaching debut at UM, cuz who’d be dumb enough to do something like that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

griz5700 said:
Could someone please clarify the difference between swagger and confidence?

I think I can help. Swagger is an inarticulable characteristic generally used to describe how one walks and/or carries his or herself. Confidence is a state within which you told a friend you enjoy wearing women's thongs backward.

CDAGRIZ said:
griz5700 said:

I think I can help. Swagger is an inarticulable characteristic generally used to describe how one walks and/or carries his or herself. Confidence is a state within which you told a friend you enjoy wearing women's thongs backward.

Well ok, I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you like it. Nope it's weird. Thong thing. Lost me. Lol

Glendivegriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
griz5700 said:

Well ok, I guess. Not that there's anything wrong with that if you like it. Nope it's weird. Thong thing. Lost me. Lol

5700 told you that in CONFIDENCE. Now, you broadcast it on here for all to see?!

Call it what you will, but the attitude needs to change. They need confidence, swagger, excitement, arrogance, whatever, but they need to know they will win and the other team doesn't want to play them. That used to be the case and you could see it in the other teams eyes.

Also, I would argue Wooden's UCLA teams had plenty of swagger.

Back