• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Taylor Walcott hanging it up

I was afraid of this. :evil: Walcott was a GREAT HS WR that was set to have a couple BIG/MONSTER college football years over the next couple seasons (his JR and SR). Flippin injuries blow.

I hope Daum wears #2 in Walcotts honor :!: Those two HS careers strike an eerie resemblance to one another, in both football and track. In yearly and career numbers, and championships. Not to mention being similar in size.

Best of luck to you, Taylor!

GO GRIZ

MONTANA:

2014: Taylor continues to recover from off-season surgery and will redshirt this season.

2013: He played in five of UM's first six games and then missed the rest of the season because of an injury. He had six receptions.

2012: He played as a true freshman and had 5 receptions.

HIGH SCHOOL: He was named first team 5A all-state by the Oregonian. His senior year he had 40 catches for 810 yards and 11 touchdowns. Career-wise he had 2,805 receiving yards for 44 touchdowns. As a junior his Spartan team went 12-1, and he had 58 catches for 1,144 yards and 18 scores that season, and was named to the all-state team. His high school football coach was Frank Geske. He had 27 receptions for 547 yards and nine TDs as a sophomore, when Marist went 14-0 and won the 5A crown. He won state titles in the 100 and 200 meters his junior and senior seasons. He had personal bests of 10.84 in the 100 meters and 22.36 in the 200 meters.

UM CAREER HIGHS: He had two receptions for 43 yards and a long of 28 yards at North Dakota last season. He had a 9-yard touchdown catch versus Oklahoma Panhandle State last season.

PERSONAL: He's a business administration major. Birth date: Sept. 10, 1993. His parents are George and Stephanie Walcott of Eugene. His dad was the Pac-10 champion in the 200 while competing for Oregon in 1983, and is currently the track coach at Churchill High School in Eugene.

Year---G/S---Rec.---Yards-Avg.---TD---Long
2012---7/0---5---33-6.6---0---14
2013---5/0---7---87-14.5---1---28
Totals---12/0---12---120-10.0---1--28

Sorry to hear that about Taylor Walcott.

Once a Griz always a Griz, he who has shed blood with me is my brother.

I wish Taylor the best in school and his future career aspirations. Good thing Stitt brought in quite a few WR's. I do feel Walcott could have with time stepped into Jones or Henderson's role upon their graduating, and a large contributor to the offense.

Good luck young man.

I was thinking he may be able to run some track. Looks like he will not be able to do so. Nuts!

Taylor Walcott will always be one that got away in that class.He had so much upside it really saddens me to see it go this way. Best to him in life!

Ursa Major said:
G-BEARS said:
I wonder if we'll be looking to bring in a transfer or someone with his freed up scholarship.
Do the cats have anyone else left that we still want?

I'd take Prukop. Might be able to help fill out our running back depth.

G-BEARS said:
I wonder if we'll be looking to bring in a transfer or someone with his freed up scholarship.

Hanging it up because of a football injury and we don't honor the scholarship?

AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:

That's actually brings up a great question. Does a university honoring a scholarship for a player forced to retire due to injury count against the total scholarship count?

Pin2Win said:
AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:

That's actually brings up a great question. Does a university honoring a scholarship for a player forced to retire due to injury count against the total scholarship count?

Yes it counts, unless they can find alternate scholarships, financial aid, etc.

mtgrizrule said:
Pin2Win said:
AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:

I probably should have researched before asking the question. But this actually came out of an AP article in 2013:

The NCAA allows the school to keep injured or ill students on scholarship without it counting against the total number of grants a school can offer, he noted. And, he pointed out that the NCAA has an appeals process for students who lose their scholarships based on an injury or illness.
Here's the full article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/uconn-athletic-scholarships_n_2917352.html

So with that, I'm still not sure one way or another.

Pin2Win said:
mtgrizrule said:
Pin2Win said:
AZGrizFan said:

I probably should have researched before asking the question. But this actually came out of an AP article in 2013:

The NCAA allows the school to keep injured or ill students on scholarship without it counting against the total number of grants a school can offer, he noted. And, he pointed out that the NCAA has an appeals process for students who lose their scholarships based on an injury or illness.
Here's the full article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/20/uconn-athletic-scholarships_n_2917352.html

So with that, I'm still not sure one way or another.

That is news to me. Thanks for finding this. Apparently, I stand corrected. :thumb:

AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:

Not sure how that works. Looks like we may have one freed up according to what others posted, don't know though. IMO it would be perfectly acceptable to not honor the scholarship anymore though, this is obviously a sensitive issue for some. But I don't see any reason to continue to pay for school to someone who isn't doing extra work or providing anything for the university. Football has many many positives for these young men, but with every positive there is always a negative, this should be one.

G-BEARS said:
AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:

Not sure how that works. Looks like we may have one freed up according to what others posted, don't know though. IMO it would be perfectly acceptable to not honor the scholarship anymore though, this is obviously a sensitive issue for some. But I don't see any reason to continue to pay for school to someone who isn't doing extra work or providing anything for the university. Football has many many positives for these young men, but with every positive there is always a negative, this should be one.
Except that he was injured performing for the major money-maker, public image portion of the university. To me it is absolutely not acceptable for the university to not honor it. The only exception is if the player has been ruled 100% healthy with no increased risk of re-injury and he still then chooses not to play. To me, it's more of an insurance policy than anything. The university (and the player, of course) are risking bodily injury to perform for the university. If that injury occurs, the university is still responsible for providing the opportunity for that student to finish a degree. The university told the student at the beginning - if you play for us, we'll pay for you to get your degree. The student did all he could to fulfill his end of the bargain and things outside of his control are preventing him from doing so. The university should honor their part too.

Latest posts

Back