• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Book

I imagine DB Cooper is living well from the cash he obtained years ago.

Krak? He is blowin and gowin book et al...

grizbymarriage said:
ranco said:
Krak's book appears to be selling quite well, number 56 on amazon's list of best sellers. Just 8 spots behind "Baby Touch and Feel Animals," 12 spots below "The Plant Power Way" and 14 spots below "Creative Haven Creative Cats Coloring Book."

And, a day later, it has fallen to the number 64 spot, ironically sandwiched between "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" at 63 and "Potty" (child training book) at 65. And the price has now been reduced to $17.37 from the original $28, a sure sign it is not flying off the shelves.

If this is the best the book does after all the publicity Doubleday has engineered for it in the past week, the game is pretty much over. The best thing Missoula could do now is to stop giving it and the author any attention and just move on.

Move on, and tacitly admit he was right? Bullshit. I want to see him torn to pieces by our detail oriented posters (we all know who they are) at the 'event', made to look the fool, as well as Doubleday, and stand up for the remains of the reputations of UM and Missoula, even the Prosecutors Office, if they have the 'balls' to do it.

statler & waldorf said:
grizbymarriage said:
ranco said:
Krak's book appears to be selling quite well, number 56 on amazon's list of best sellers. Just 8 spots behind "Baby Touch and Feel Animals," 12 spots below "The Plant Power Way" and 14 spots below "Creative Haven Creative Cats Coloring Book."

And, a day later, it has fallen to the number 64 spot, ironically sandwiched between "What to Expect When You Are Expecting" at 63 and "Potty" (child training book) at 65. And the price has now been reduced to $17.37 from the original $28, a sure sign it is not flying off the shelves.

If this is the best the book does after all the publicity Doubleday has engineered for it in the past week, the game is pretty much over. The best thing Missoula could do now is to stop giving it and the author any attention and just move on.

Move on, and tacitly admit he was right? Bullshit. I want to see him torn to pieces by our detail oriented posters (we all know who they are) at the 'event', made to look the fool, as well as Doubleday, and stand up for the remains of the reputations of UM and Missoula, even the Prosecutors Office, if they have the 'balls' to do it.

Yes, and I would like to see world peace. But I think Doubleday set this up hoping for the loudest public shouting match they could get in order to generate a few more headlines. Somehow, I think it's more likely Doubleday will get what it wants out of it than you'll get what you want. Still, I am always in favor of the Disney ending if you can make it happen!

grizbymarriage said:
statler & waldorf said:
grizbymarriage said:
ranco said:

Yes, and I would like to see world peace. But I think Doubleday set this up hoping for the loudest public shouting match they could get in order to generate a few more headlines. Somehow, I think it's more likely Doubleday will get what it wants out of it than you'll get what you want. Still, I am always in favor of the Disney ending if you can make it happen!
What would be coolest would be for not one single soul to show up. JK could then sit there looking like the idiot he is with all of the impact of a fart in a snowstorm. However, we know at least a few of the indoctrinated groupies will show and it would be second best to have them all agree, sing kumbaya, and for there to be no controversy at all. Third best (and likely) outcome is a public spectacle with gnashing of teething and flailing of arms. Still the image of Krakhauer sitting in an empty room, staring at the wall brings me the most joy.

Grisly Fan said:
grizbymarriage said:
statler & waldorf said:
grizbymarriage said:

What would be coolest would be for not one single soul to show up. JK could then sit there looking like the idiot he is with all of the impact of a fart in a snowstorm. However, we know at least a few of the indoctrinated groupies will show and it would be second best to have them all agree, sing kumbaya, and for there to be no controversy at all. Third best (and likely) outcome is a public spectacle with gnashing of teething and flailing of arms. Still the image of Krakhauer sitting in an empty room, staring at the wall brings me the most joy.

That would be the perfect response, in my opinion. There is one more possibility -- sales of the book may pick up; it may be a true best seller yet, who knows? But, if sales continue to fall, Doubleday may decide to quit flogging the dead horse, find an excuse to back out of the forum, and put its energies elsewhere. But, no crystal ball here; we'll just have to see how it all plays out. Something external may keep interest high - like the recent arrest of the Ohio State drum major instructor for rape.

Krakauer attempted to support a failing meme. Unlike Sabrina Erdely, who was convinced she had the perfect "scoop" -- the privileged University, the vulnerable victim, the privileged Frat, privileged White boys -- Krakauer only managed to cover a story that had the White boys, and most of the rest failed to sizzle. Indeed, all the stats turned against him, all the cases were investigated, the only failure was the wealthy Muslim rape rampage, and THAT was not the story that the social justice warriors were looking for. Indeed, rather than that being an example generating outrage for the several genuine victims, it is treated as a footnote, merely an awkward scenario that clearly falls outside of the purpose and point of the manufactured outrage that Erdely and Krakauer attempted to generate.

The Narrative continues to crumble.

The doom-sayers began with the statistic that 1 in 5 college women will be sexually assaulted to get their foot in the door. They screamed from the mountaintop that any woman in college will probably be raped any day now. Not in India, not in Iran, not in South Africa, but here. In America. On campus.

Using that false statistic (most are at least intelligent enough now to stop using it), activists began a crusade to right the injustices of the past (and potentially present) by swinging the pendulum to the other side. This, not surprisingly, has created a new problem of male students losing their due process rights and being treated as guilty until proven innocent.

But 1-in-5 isn’t the only statistic being used to create these new policies. Now that the issue is consistently in the news, other statistics with equally dubious origins are cropping up.

One is that only 2 percent of rape accusations are false. This factoid traces back to a single source (Susan Brownmiller’s 1975 book Against Our Will), which in turn cites a police officer talking about a study that no one has been able to find. But from this dubious claim springs the dogma that one must therefore believe all rape-accusers to be true victims.
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/how-flawed-statistics-create-policies-that-ruin-lives/article/2563835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ultimately, what is driving this -- the Missoulian coverage, Dateline, Krakauer -- all of it, is a White, Star Quarterback on a well-known football team.

As with the Rolling Stone "script," it was supposed to turn out differently; a vindication of the corrosive and corrupted effects of "privilege" at Universities and on University Athletics. That's why the much more egregious offenses of a wealthy Muslim student, a weekend of rapes of overt violence, are treated as a minor distracting footnote.

And because the vindication collapsed, the narrative self-destructed, it is as though these people are bound and determined that Jordan Johnson is going to be punished "somehow," because Quarterbacks simply deserve it. They are privileged, and the ordinary decency that used to accompany "not guilty" verdicts is being directly challenged by attempting to exploit media and narrative channels in order to "punish " JJ by different means; if they can, a continuing punishment designed to wreck his life, his career, his family, whatever they can wreck.

It is difficult to find words to describe how mendacious and perverse these efforts and these people truly are.

Now he is lowering himself to tabloid marketing: :roll:

Doubleday Books

15 hrs · ago

"If you're not a feminist, you're part of the problem." - Jon Krakauer

jodcon said:
AllWeatherFan said:
What about a book where a kid gets disillusioned with life, and sells all his worldly belongings and runs away to the wilds of Sanders County to do himself in, but runs into an old geezer (played by snap, with a lot of make-up) who lives in a cabin up the Vermillion River, and the old geezer teaches the kid the meaning of life through bacon?

As long as it doesn't turn into a movie where Burt Reynolds and some rafting buddies come along, still getting therapy after watching that.

What, you don't like banjo music, jodcon? :lol:

grizbymarriage said:
Grisly Fan said:
grizbymarriage said:
statler & waldorf said:

That would be the perfect response, in my opinion. There is one more possibility -- sales of the book may pick up; it may be a true best seller yet, who knows? But, if sales continue to fall, Doubleday may decide to quit flogging the dead horse, find an excuse to back out of the forum, and put its energies elsewhere. But, no crystal ball here; we'll just have to see how it all plays out. Something external may keep interest high - like the recent arrest of the Ohio State drum major instructor for rape.

Stay home Missoula. Into the Krak and his publishing partner know what a big bunch of additional book sales they will generate with a night of frolicking with angry mob. In fact from their perspective, its Imperative that they generate some additional bad press for ZooTown - they're @ a predictable lull and need to kick start sales again.

What if they threw a book bashing party and no one showed up? Don't lend any more credibility or publicity to them.

Ostrich Theory.

Missoula was featured last night on "Dateline" when they reviewed the baaaad Kaarma case. Yet to drop is the other shoe, the JJ trial piece.

The book has now dropped to number 78 on the Amazon "best sellers" list. It was in the mid-50's day before yesterday and mid-60's yesterday. The continuing drop is in spite of more hype on national television. And, in spite of the price being dropped from $28.95 to $17.37.

If I'd written a book, I'd be ecstatic to have a book at 78 on Amazon. But, for an author with Krakauer's track record, the direction this is taking has to be a major disappointment.

Can't say I am losing any sleep over his disappointment.

You can get it for $14 at Costco. And, btw, it's pretty unlikely that Mike Meloy would represent Krakauer in defense of a libel suit. He has the Right to Know case because he specializes in that area. I have never heard of Mike defending a tort case. It's not his thing. Someone's insurance company will end up hiring a lawyer for K in such a case.

Back