• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Lady Caucasians

citay said:
I have nothing but respect for Robin Selvig . . . If he'd had a racist bone in his body, he would not have recruited Native Americans, This is not about racism; this is about widening our scope of recruiting, to include the best possible players we can recruit.

Do you know of multiple, specific examples where UM coaches intentionally decided to stop/discontinue recruiting the best possible players that are interested in UM ? :?

citay said:
If you want to make a great decision about anything in your life, you need to consider all the alternatives. Bad decisions happen when you overlook possible solutions.

If you want to recruit great athletes, you look at all possibilities, regardless of color.

Not doing this is what is sad.

The level of high school basketball in the SE is very high. Since there are few schools that focus on it, outside the SEC and ACC, many smart, talented young ladies might well be interested in UM, if only for a change of scenery. But, the culture, the food, the weather might be more important. Still, UM could compete well down here. Granted, it takes money to do that. Is the return worth it? Don't know, but the Univ of So Carolina recently published the results of its own study of new students and freshman and one of the deciding factors was the quality of men AND women's athletics, specifically basketball.
'

citay said:
If you want to make a great decision about anything in your life, you need to consider all the alternatives. Bad decisions happen when you overlook possible solutions.

If you want to recruit great athletes, you look at all possibilities, regardless of color.

Are they not doing this? Maybe, UM is just not approaching them for many reasons. I highly doubt race has anything to do with this.

citay said:

Are they not doing this? Maybe, UM is just not approaching them for many reasons. I highly doubt race has anything to do with this.Didn't JJ's wife play ball for the Lady Griz?

I do not question the motives of any Lady Griz Coach, nor do I question the results, but I would also like to see more diversity on the team. It's just my own preference.

citay said:

Are you able to explain exactly what they are not doing, that you say is sad ? :?

Proud Griz Man said:
citay said:

Are you able to explain exactly what they are not doing, that you say is sad ? :?

When you've had three African-American athletes in 47 years of your participation in intercollegiate athletics then obviously there is something you are not doing to recruit African-American athletes. Empirical evidence. Others on this board have explained the specific reasons--limited recruiting budgets; limited black population in Montana, et. al.

I say, let's let bygones be bygones. But let's definitely change our strategies going forward. Earlier in this thread I offered one very specific solution. Do you disagree with that?

citay said:
Proud Griz Man said:
citay said:

obviously there is something you are not doing to recruit African-American athletes.

I guess it is Obvious to you Citay. What is it?

I like and respect your posts Citay, just want you to leave the anecdotal statistics behind and tell me what is wrong in your opinion? Do you have examples - When have the LG turned down an interested recruit, or stopped pursuing a specific recruit because of skin color, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, etc.?

I posted five LG goals and I think they are successfully achieving them ~90% of the time. That sustained performance warrants a compliment. Can they do better? Yes. Do they need to adjust to changing circumstances? Yes.

A recruiting story sticks in my mind : The Griz football team recruited a defensive back out of Mater Dei high school. I was told that the parents drove the son to Missoula, and the kid caught a bus and beat the parents back to southern California. It has to be a "good fit" for the student-athlete and UM.

Proud Griz Man said:
I like and respect your posts Citay, just want you to leave the anecdotal statistics behind and tell me what is wrong in your opinion? Do you have examples - When have the LG turned down an interested recruit, or stopped pursuing a specific recruit because of skin color, nationality, ethnicity, religion, political affiliation, etc.?

giphy.gif

Back