• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This completely changed my view...

Mr. Greenjeans said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I share the concerns over cutting players a paycheck. Recruiting might get even more corrupted, and the landscape even more lopsided. Line drawing would also be an issue because the U of Idaho punter, though very busy, probably doesn't bring in much revenue. Does he get the same pay as Jameis Winston?

Accordingly, wouldn't a fair solution be to not outright pay players, but, as PR mentioned, permit them to make money on the side based on their athletic abilities? If a dude wants to go do a TV ad for Wilkins Hyundai and Subaru, let him get paid for it. You won't have the line drawing issues because Billy Wilkins of Wilkins Hyundai and Subaru doesn't want the punter in his ad, he wants the QB.

Let them eat what they can kill.

I tend to agree, the only problem is only a few stars will benefit, the third string tackle not so much. The same with getting a cut from jersey sales, perhaps this money could be pooled so all team members can get some reasonable pocket money.

There are a couple elephants in the room. Very few schools are revenue positive with their athletic programs other than football and men's hoops, as we all know they subsidize the other sports. The other is Title IX. If pocket money is given to football players it will have to be given to gymnasts, swim teams, track teams, field hockey teams, etc, etc . Title IX is NOT going anywhere .

I think that is exactly why you just lift the restriction on making money from third parties. The stars are the ones who should benefit. If your jersey doesn't sell in the bookstore, and/or your sport doesn't bring in revenue to the school, you aren't the one with a legitimate gripe in this whole situation. If a third-string tackle wants to cash in, become a first string tackle and do a local commercial for a BBQ joint. The softball players, golfers, gymnasts, and the like, would be free to pursue their own supplemental income in any way they see fit.

My point is this: If our concern is that top athletes make tons of money for universities without direct monetary compensation, why would we give a handout to a player that had no hand in making that money for the university? Allowing all athletes the opportunity to make money off their own names/likenesses would likely allow the best to make the most, therefore, at least indirectly, compensating the ones responsible for the revenue.

And the Universities/NCAA don't have to pay anything.

Latest posts

Back