• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This fan's guess at a post-spring 2-deep depth chart

alabamagrizzly said:
Looks right to me.

I wouldn't count Simis out yet but Prater deffenetly has the edge in maturity.

I've loved Logwood since his 1st run from scrimmage last year. Runs hard and hits the whole fast and is strong.

We'll see alot of rotation at the receiver. I think the Calhoun bros will have a defanete say in the depth chart when they get here.

Kelly/Todd better have what it takes. Would love to see Luke get more time at the gaurd unless he's not mobile enough for what Stitt needs.

Still not sure I like the idea if Schye switching to the line but he should see more time on the feild.

BW, what do you think of Rassmussen playing with Whitted in the backfield. Would give us more athleticism back there.

Who's to say Schye won't be back in the mix at LB next season? Those jobs will be wide open....

Fahque said:
Your kicker analysis is interesting. No mention of Sullivan. Are you saying you think Lider has passed him up and will be the kicker?

I sure hope not. IMO Sullivan is miles ahead of Lider in the kicking department. Better mechanics and the ball comes off of his foot with more power than it does with Lider.

Well... I list Sullivan as the starter...

Not much to say really. I think collectively I saw maybe 5 field goal attempts total. All spring.

rocklobster said:
Brint, will Daum and the rest of the freshmen wr redshirt?

Maybe?

Let's see how he looks in August. Awfully tough for an 18 year old fresh out of high school to just pick up and adapt to the pace of the FCS... But I've seen it before. Keep in mind it took Mariani, Sambrano, Hiedelberger, Wells, and other Griz greats 2-3 years to get "ready" for this pace.

Hammer said:
Fahque said:
Your kicker analysis is interesting. No mention of Sullivan. Are you saying you think Lider has passed him up and will be the kicker?

I sure hope not. IMO Sullivan is miles ahead of Lider in the kicking department. Better mechanics and the ball comes off of his foot with more power than it does with Lider.

Ummmmmm, he has Sullivan projected as the starter :roll:
Formatting must not be showing up on my phone

BWahlberg said:
Fahque said:

Well... I list Sullivan as the starter...

Not much to say really. I think collectively I saw maybe 5 field goal attempts total. All spring.
Yep lol. Tapatalk was only showing me the paragraphs and not your lists. My apologies

1972 said:
KR – Ellis Henderson / Caleb Lyons
PR – John Nguyen / Ellis Henderson

Roll out the egriz bashers but I thought Nguyen showed the best potential as the PR. Stitt may just opt for Hendu to pull both duties which is just fine as well. Lyons had a few longer returns and I thought I’d mix it up – it very well could be Nguyen who is the other KR as well. It’s pretty obvious when needing a long return and a top-speed guy that Hendu is our man.

Brint,

I'm not a Nguyen basher at all, actually really like both of the brothers. My question is, why in the world if you have someone of Henderson's caliber who has the potential to break one at any moment, would you not put him back there. I can remember the days of Heidelberger, Segars, Mariani, sp? etc... If you have a weapon, use him, I will be shocked if Stitt does anything different.

Thanks for all of the write ups, really appreciate everthing.

Give Nguyen a break and you got 20 yards, starting your offense on the other side.

CV Griz Fan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Looks right to me.

I've loved Logwood since his 1st run from scrimmage last year. Runs hard and hits the whole fast and is strong.

We'll see alot of rotation at the receiver. I think the Calhoun bros will have a defanete say in the depth chart when they get here.

Kelly/Todd better have what it takes. Would love to see Luke get more time at the gaurd unless he's not mobile enough for what Stitt needs.

Still not sure I like the idea if Schye switching to the line but he should see more time on the feild.

BW, what do you think of Rassmussen playing with Whitted in the backfield. Would give us more athleticism back there.

Who's to say Schye won't be back in the mix at LB next season? Those jobs will be wide open....
Possibly but I see us being deeper at LB then DE. As BW mentioned, Buss, Thomas, and Vis along with Straham, and incoming Fr Cy Sirmon and Dante Olsen will have us pretty deep for the next three years after this year. The depth at DE isn't as solid. Sims and Ralston will be good but after them are bigger question marks with Miksch, Chadderdon, Mertes, Harris, and Defer.

I guess I just talked myself into thinking it might be a good move.

alabamagrizzly said:
CV Griz Fan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Looks right to me.

Possibly but I see us being deeper at LB then DE. As BW mentioned, Buss, Thomas, and Vis along with Straham, and incoming Fr Cy Sirmon and Dante Olsen will have us pretty deep for the next three years after this year. The depth at DE isn't as solid. Sims and Ralston will be good but after them are bigger question marks with Miksch, Chadderdon, Mertes, Harris, and Defer.

I guess I just talked myself into thinking it might be a good move.

I though Defer was let go. I expect Stitt to do annual cleaning to try and maximize the talent on the roster. Agreed that DE is more of a need right now than lb.

Both DE and LB is going to have a crap-ton of fresh faces in 2016. I assume there'll be some moving pieces going on. We lose Holmes and DC on the D-line as well as Wilson at DT. We lose KVA, Gamboa, Kose, Lebsock, and Owen at LB.... ouch. (Add in Whitted, Harris, and Johnson from the DB's)

I do like what I've seen from the young guys of course but that's a lot of talent to replace on the defense. Fortunately... we don't have to worry about that for another year.

BWahlberg said:
Both DE and LB is going to have a crap-ton of fresh faces in 2016. I assume there'll be some moving pieces going on. We lose Holmes and DC on the D-line as well as Wilson at DT. We lose KVA, Gamboa, Kose, Lebsock, and Owen at LB.... ouch. (Add in Whitted, Harris, and Johnson from the DB's)

I do like what I've seen from the young guys of course but that's a lot of talent to replace on the defense. Fortunately... we don't have to worry about that for another year.
Hopefully the likely replacements of all those Sr's will see some rotation this year and get some more expierience.

It'll be interesting to see how Stitt gets the young LB's playing time considering half our second string are seniors as well. Almost need to platoon these guys as soon as a victory is at hand just to get everybody playing time. Cy Cirmon is already physically ready and will certainly be after a redshirt year. Of the new guys coming in I would think Mau Ena and Jesse Sims have a good chance at playing right away, which in the long run could ease the loss of Holmes and Wilson.

mtgrizrule said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Lucas at WR?

Haven't seen him play a single snap. No way I'd just insert him into a depth without seeing what he can do - and no I don't mean just off his highlight reel.

Lucas is a pretty safe bet to be a big contributor this season. Despite him not practicing as a GRIZ yet, he will be somewhere in that depth chart you listed, barring injury. I already like his desire to be the best by the little I've followed him. He has his eyes on making this 1 year as an opportunity for the NFL. I hear he is pretty committed to a shot at the NFL. Only time will tell how likely that will be, but take that as you'd like. To me, it sounds like that is his motivation to hold himself accountable. :thumb:

I agree, mtgrizfule. It will be no surprise that our three FBS transfer players will be our three best receivers in 2015.

I agree with you, bwalhberg, I feel your guess at a post-spring 2-deep depth chart (although currently accurate) will see changes in the fall as well.

You have (post spring):

WR1 - Ellis Henderson / Reese Carlson
WR2 - Jamaal Jones / Josh Janssen
WR3 – Chase Naccarato / Caleb Lyons
WR4 – Ryan Burke / Zach Hollenbeck

But based on the fact that BEFORE spring ball, coach Stitt said that they would probably use some new receivers in the fall, followed up by him saying AFTER spring ball that they WILL use some new receivers in the fall.

My guess (game 1):

WR1 - Ellis Henderson / Josh Janssen
WR2 - Jamaal Jones / Kobey Eaton
WR3 – Chase Naccarato / Dalton Daum
WR4 – Tyler Lucas / Ryan Burke

I wish we could red-shirt all the in-coming freshman receivers, but the Stitt knows he doesn't have that luxury.

IntuitiveGriz said:
I agree with you, bwalhberg, I feel your guess at a post-spring 2-deep depth chart (although currently accurate) will see changes in the fall as well.

You have (post spring):

But based on the fact that BEFORE spring ball, coach Stitt said that they would probably use some new receivers in the fall, followed up by him saying AFTER spring ball that they WILL use some new receivers in the fall.

My guess (game 1):

I wish we could red-shirt all the in-coming freshman receivers, but the Stitt knows he doesn't have that luxury.

My guess is Hendu, Jones, and Naccarato are locks to start. Burke, Carlson, and Janssen should be solid rotation guys. That leaves anywhere from 2-4 other spots for players to rotate in. Hollenbeck and Lyons being the younger walk-on guys obviously the most vulnerable to get bumped. Lucas, Curran, Daum, and Eaton could all make a splash - just tough to say. Many times transfer and new freshman kids take time to adapt. They could work their way in over the first month or so.

Honestly I can't imagine Reese Carlson being totally taken out of the picture like you possibly have.

BWahlberg said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

You have (post spring):

My guess (game 1):

My guess is Hendu, Jones, and Naccarato are locks to start. Burke, Carlson, and Janssen should be solid rotation guys. That leaves anywhere from 2-4 other spots for players to rotate in. Hollenbeck and Lyons being the younger walk-on guys obviously the most vulnerable to get bumped. Lucas, Cirmon, Daum, and Eaton could all make a splash - just tough to say. Many times transfer and new freshman kids take time to adapt. They could work their way in over the first month or so.

Honestly I can't imagine Reese Carlson being totally taken out of the picture like you possibly have.

I just seen the Kennan Curran transfer thread (and thus then the Missoulian article) for the first time, so Curran could possibly figure in 2015? I remember him from HS, he's a great athlete. I just pray that Daum can red-shirt now, I want 5 years of him.

I am high on Carlson. I just was putting more speed in the two-deep. Carlson is definitely in the mix, good player.

Lots of good options, IMO. Fall camp will be fascinating.

What will really probably be a good indicator is which new guys show up and run routes this summer when the passing game players meet without the coaches and just run through plays/routes/etc.

BWahlberg said:
Lots of good options, IMO. Fall camp will be fascinating.

What will really probably be a good indicator is which new guys show up and run routes this summer when the passing game players meet without the coaches and just run through plays/routes/etc.

this....imo the competition will be so stiff even the smallest of mistakes will take you out of the running....I think most if not all of the freshman will redshirt....with three transfer bcs starting and an upper class of burke, nararatto, jannsen and lyons on deck......great time to be a griz fan, with that type of talent pool to choose from imo.....

Back