• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Timmy Falls: Official Visit 02-12-16

mtgrizrule said:
Honestly, this is not cohersing, bribing, offering, etc for a kid to commit. It has nothing to with a player. What is wrong with parents of players meeting and getting to know fans of the team an athlete represents? Show me where that kind of interaction is a violation. I have a feeling it is not.
I'd have to look that one up, to see exactly what the rule says, so not saying it is, not saying it isn't, but always start from the premise that the NCAA is nuts and proceed accordingly.

UMGriz75 said:
mtgrizrule said:
Honestly, this is not cohersing, bribing, offering, etc for a kid to commit. It has nothing to with a player. What is wrong with parents of players meeting and getting to know fans of the team an athlete represents? Show me where that kind of interaction is a violation. I have a feeling it is not.
I'd have to look that one up, to see exactly what the rule says, so not saying it is, not saying it isn't, but always start from the premise that the NCAA is nuts and proceed accordingly.

Law and justice are often strange bedfellows.

I hear ya - but, better to be safe than sorry - the only reason I said to "be careful" is just that - because he is a parent of the recruit - we dunno if that would be against the rules or not - if it was just the parent - probably ok (but we still don't know for sure), but the NCAA is bats.

Yep. It's crazy. But basically if you're offering something to a parent of an athlete that you wouldn't offer to the parents of Susie, an incoming accounting major, it's very likely not permissible.

EverettGriz said:
Yep. It's crazy. But basically if you're offering something to a parent of an athlete that you wouldn't offer to the parents of Susie, an incoming accounting major, it's very likely not permissible.

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking - even if you "didn't know" the parents of "Frank" were actually parents of "Frank" it would still be a no-no to the NCAA - I think.

• Boosters are anyone who:

Provided a donation in order to obtain season tickets for any sport at the university.

Participated in or has been a member of an organization promoting the university’s athletics programs.

Made financial contributions to the athletic department or to a university booster organization.

Arranged for or provided employment for enrolled student-athletes.

Assisted or has been requested by university staff to assist in the recruitment of prospective student-athletes.

Assisted in providing benefits to enrolled student athletes or their families.

Been involved otherwise in promoting university athletics.

• A Booster may not:

Contact a prospect in-person on-campus or off campus.

Contact a prospect by telephone, email, Internet or letter.

Provide gifts or free or reduced-cost services to a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian.

Employ relatives, guardians or friends of a prospect as an inducement for the prospect’s enrollment and athletics participation at a university.

Become directly or indirectly involved in making arrangements for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian to receive money or financial aid of any kind.

Provide transportation for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian.

Provide free or reduced-cost tickets for a prospect or the prospect’s relatives or guardian to attend an athletic event.

Provide any material benefit (e.g., meals, cash) to the coach of a prospect, including high school, two-year college, AAU and summer team coaches.
The definition of "Booster" is vague enough to drive a truck through.

2 things regarding the legalities people are jumping to. (1) Key word "prospect"- at this stage he has made his decision. A decision that was made without any of the above mentioned things. (2) Some are assuming meeting, etc includes buying drinks, food, etc. I will let you know, not one time I mentioned buying anyone anything. Also I have been fortunate to get to know parents of players, just by idle chat. You know getting to know them by/with the lost art of talking. It did not take me spending any money on them for anything.

You do know, it is possible to get to know people without buying them anything? So for those who are thinking too much into it, no worries, no violations have been or will be committed. Honestly, there is nothing wrong with a warm welcome to GRIZ NATION (just as we do here for the athletes and families that commit), then listen to the family in whatever direction a conversation may go.

Some here act like members of our fan base should not be saying or doing anything toward the family. Would it be better to come off rude and inconsiderate in fear of the NCAA? News flash: the NCAA does not have that kind of power. As long as we as fans are not buying, bribing, coercing, contacting the recruit directly during the recruiting process, etc we are safe.

We as fans also have to have a little more faith in our coaches and administration. The coaches know the ins and outs of the regulations. They don't have special boosters, outsiders wining and dining these kids and their families. Speaking of fans, most of us have common sense enough to know not to do the above things mentioned. Getting to know a committed athlete's family is not a violation. In this case, Mr Falls taking the time to come on our fan board to introduce himself and update us is not a violation. Were the communications on this board up to the commitment a violation, any kind of violation? Hell no, during that time we have slowly got to know a little about Timmy and his family. When they get the time to travel to his games, they will meet GRIZ fans, and likely gain some friends from it.

Either way, as said before, by a number of people, Welcome to GRIZ NATION and trusting your son's future to Montana. We look forward to following him in his time here. I hope, Timmy and the family fully enjoy the experience.

mtgrizrule said:
2 things regarding the legalities people are jumping to. (1) Key word "prospect"- at this stage he has made his decision.
I understand he made his decision the next day.

In any case, UM's recent NCAA violations -- the "hot dog" episode -- were just baffling to most reasonable people, even more so Engstrom's voluntary proposal to suspend scholarships and vacate wins -- wins won by students and coaches that had nothing to do with any of the violations; just a way to wreck the collegiate records of young men that didn't do anything wrong. Engstrom's usual courage and foresight, combined with his natural inclination to always put the students first. :roll:

Think that is reasonable?

UMGriz75 said:
mtgrizrule said:
2 things regarding the legalities people are jumping to. (1) Key word "prospect"- at this stage he has made his decision.
I understand he made his decision the next day.

In any case, UM's recent NCAA violations -- the "hot dog" episode -- were just baffling to most reasonable people, even more so Engstrom's voluntary proposal to suspend scholarships and vacate wins -- wins won by students and coaches that had nothing to do with any of the violations; just a way to wreck the collegiate records of young men that didn't do anything wrong. Engstrom's usual courage and foresight, combined with his natural inclination to always put the students first. :roll:

Think that is reasonable?

Wins were gonna be vacated by the NCAA regardless, as they had determined Tru and Kemp were ineligible to play in those games. I'm not saying I agree with the NCAA ruling, just saying that is what it was, and games played with players ruled ineligible are vacated.
Not sure how this post got off track, but back to the point:

Welcome to the University of Montana, Timmy Falls!

Back