• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Transfer: Ahmadd Rorie

WOW, the GRIZ are loaded at guard for the next 4 years. This certainly looks like Travis will be having a lot of depth to press and run all game long.

Oh by the way, whose departure freed up this scholarship? Sure makes it look like Edmonds indeed will not be back, just as I posted here, and had a few get on me for not being credible. Yeah I know, some you will doubt until you see it officially or his name not appear on this year's roster. Good to see the staff found a player they determined a right fit to bring aboard.

Welcome to GRIZ NATION Ahmadd.

Hmmm...another guard? We need the most help in the front line and post. No question all the coaches know this, but the bigger guys are harder to come by without a doubt.

griz71 said:
Hmmm...another guard? We need the most help in the front line and post. No question all the coaches know this, but the bigger guys are harder to come by without a doubt.

I have a feeling we might be seeing a "40 minutes of hell" approach as these guards mature. I see a lot of pressure, penetrating, kicking out, and isolation ball. Run and gun might be the flavor. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
WOW, the GRIZ are loaded at guard for the next 4 years. This certainly looks like Travis will be having a lot of depth to press and run all game long.

Oh by the way, whose departure freed up this scholarship? Sure makes it look like Edmonds indeed will not be back, just as I posted here, and had a few get on me for not being credible. Yeah I know, some you will doubt until you see it officially or his name not appear on this year's roster. Good to see the staff found a player they determined a right fit to bring aboard.

The Griz were at twelve schollies, including Edmonds, assuming Dejong does not yet have one. Thus, it does seem that one was available. Also, this young man played as a true freshman for Oregon and actually started some games. He did not redshirt. Thus, I am assuming he may have to sit out a year, as Breunig did, before playing.

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/07/03/report-oregon-point-guard-ahmaad-rorie-to-transfer/

http://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2014/5/2/5675432/ahmaad-rorie-larry-austin-shelton-mitchell-cal-basketball-recruiting-2014 It looks like he was originally recruited to California by Coach Decuire.

mtgrizrule said:

Edmonds is gone. Academics.

PlayerRep said:
mtgrizrule said:

I hope not! :( If so, there may still be an open schollie. For what it is worth, I think I saw on one of the recruiting websites that Rorie had a 3.8 GPA in high school.

GrizWhiz said:
PlayerRep said:
mtgrizrule said:

I hope not! :( If so, there may still be an open schollie. For what it is worth, I think I saw on one of the recruiting websites that Rorie had a 3.8 GPA in high school.

Thanks PR for chiming in about Edmonds. I posted a few weekends ago, he was gone. One here posted I had no credibility and was basically lying. My information came from multiple people tied to the program, not some random student or GRIZ fan. I posted if I was wrong about Edmonds, I would have no problem apologizing. I doubt the poster who said I had no credibility and accused me of lying will apologize.

Either way, looking forward to Ahmadd being a GRIZ. Too bad he will be sitting out this season due to transfer rules. :thumb:

Here's the story link from today's Missoulian:

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/mens-basketball/griz-hoops-lands-oregon-transfer-g-ahmaad-rorie/article_1ca0253d-6bcd-5732-a9e7-f57d79899be1.html

grizzlyjournal said:
Here's the story link from today's Missoulian:

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/mens-basketball/griz-hoops-lands-oregon-transfer-g-ahmaad-rorie/article_1ca0253d-6bcd-5732-a9e7-f57d79899be1.html

Very nice shot. Looks like a damn good scorer to me. He makes the game look easy. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
GrizWhiz said:
PlayerRep said:
mtgrizrule said:

Thanks PR for chiming in about Edmonds. I posted a few weekends ago, he was gone. One here posted I had no credibility and was basically lying. My information came from multiple people tied to the program, not some random student or GRIZ fan. I posted if I was wrong about Edmonds, I would have no problem apologizing. I doubt the poster who said I had no credibility and accused me of lying will apologize.

Either way, looking forward to Ahmadd being a GRIZ. Too bad he will be sitting out this season due to transfer rules. :thumb:

I am looking forward to the day when you stop caring whether someone on a message board believes you or not. You have good posts. Don't ruin them with butt-hurt.

Last November I went out to see the USF-Montana game. As is my custom whenever the Griz play anywhere within driving distance, I got there early so I could visually appraise a team I follow religiously but seldom get to see play in person, parking myself about six rows up right behind the Montana bench. A few of Mario Dunn's relatives were already there, sitting courtside, and I had a short chat with them before going up to where I wanted to sit.
"How does Mario like Montana?" I asked.
"He loves it!" they all exclaimed, almost in unison.
After I got to my seat, I was so intently watching the warm-ups that I failed to notice I had suddenly become part of an oreo cookie, with two burly African-American men to my left, and a very attractive African-American woman on my right. The two men were in animated conversation, but when I got a chance, I said to the one next to me, "Do you have a connection to Montana?"
"I used to play for the Griz," he said. I was trying desperately to place the face, which did seem vaguely familiar, but I just couldn't come up with a name, so the wise-ass in me asserted itself.
"Were you any good? I asked. "And remember. I don't like false modesty."
"I was okay," he said.
"And you are......?"
"Delvon Anderson."
That sent me into a spontaneous outburst of laughter.
"Oh," I said, "You were more than okay! You were good--very good! I remember that team well." We chatted a bit more, but he really wanted to return to his conversation, so I turned to the woman to my right, since the game still hadn't started.
"Did you go to school in Missoula? I asked.
She laughed.
"No, no. We're just dear friends of Travis DeCuire. We think he's a great guy. This is his first head coaching job, and I wanted to give him support."
"I notice you said 'we', but you seem to be alone. Who is we?"
"My son," she said.
"Is your son here too?"
"No," she laughed. "He's playing basketball."
"What position does he play?"
"Guard."
"And where does he play?"
Then she opened up a bit.
"He played high school ball in Washington, and Travis tried to recruit him to Cal. But when they brought in a new coach, and Travis no longer had a spot, my son signed with Oregon. The funny thing is, he signed just before Travis got the job at Montana. If he'd known about that, my son might have signed with Travis. We just think Travis is a great guy. But my son really likes Oregon.
"Is he good?"
"He thinks he might have a chance to start this year, as a true freshman."
"Well, tell me his name, and I'll follow his progress."
"Ahmaad Rorie."

citay said:
"Did you go to school in Missoula? I asked.
She laughed.
"No, no. We're just dear friends of Travis DeCuire. We think he's a great guy. This is his first head coaching job, and I wanted to give him support."
"I notice you said 'we', but you seem to be alone. Who is we?"
"My son," she said.
"Is your son here too?"
"No," she laughed. "He's playing basketball."
"What position does he play?"
"Guard."
"And where does he play?"
Then she opened up a bit.
"He played high school ball in Washington, and Travis tried to recruit him to Cal. But when they brought in a new coach, and Travis no longer had a spot, my son signed with Oregon. The funny thing is, he signed just before Travis got the job at Montana. If he'd known about that, my son might have signed with Travis. We just think Travis is a great guy. But my son really likes Oregon.
"Is he good?"
"He thinks he might have a chance to start this year, as a true freshman."
"Well, tell me his name, and I'll follow his progress."
"Ahmaad Rorie."

GREAT STORIES, Citay! Thanks for sharing.

Last season I joined the Griz Hoops Club for the first time & attended all of the meetings and chalk-talks. Two things regarding coach DeCuire (and his staff) stood out:

1. Beyond his encyclopedic and broad technical understanding of college basketball, TD is a communicator, both personally and in group situations. He quickly earned the respect and enthusiastic support of the attendees, and answered all questions with clarity, extensive knowledge AND a lot of handouts, printed scouting reports, and detailed play diagrams. He gave high -- and extensive individual -- support to his assistants, all of whom spoke very highly of him in various other social contexts. My lasting impression of the year: TD's afraid of NO person or team, prepares hard every game, and communicates that fearles/work hard "attitude" to his players, who will go to battle for him and have indicated so on numerous occasions. One of his oft repeated sayings from last year went something like this: "I will not ask you to run through a brick wall for me... but I WILL ask you to run through a brick wall with me."

2. As the season developed, many other comments from the meetings indicated a coaching staff that was competing hard in the present, but planning well into the future. ALL of them. That's the kind of program that's being built here. I heard more than once that TD has spent his entire coaching career developing extensive personal and basketball networks with young players and their families (his comments earlier in the season about young Mr. Edmonds indicated high educational standards, but equally high standards of support and patience for the young man AND his family... which is why I feel badly that Mr. Edmonds didn't make the grade in the long run). Starting with is previous employer/boss, Mike Montgomery (who is not verbally effusive, but WAS effusive when speaking about DeCuire), the comments about TD, from a wide variety of sources, have been complimentary to the highest degree. For the reasons detailed above, I believe we'll see more high profile recruits in the near future.

TD is highly respected in many communities, particularly in the Pacific Northwest. So, the comment, "We are dear friends of Travis DeCuire," give a pretty good indication of the respect he has earned from several aspects of the academic hoops community.

I understand that everyone wants a legitimate "big", but the back to basket big is a dinosaur in todays game. You need a 6'6" to 6'10" guy who can run the floor and flex out to the wing and put pressure on the opposing defense. The 3 point line and the tendency to get the game to go faster with the shorter shot clock is going to trend toward a guard based team. We are ahead of the curve with that.

Back