• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Travis is BACK!!!!

Don’t get me wrong, Travis is awesome and I hope he sticks around for a long time. But...

I don’t think a lot of schools see it how Griz fans do. I think he has to prove he can do something special at Montana before that MWC or PAC12 job comes calling. If he accomplished what he has here, at say idaho state or msu, that’d be a different story.

putter said:
Signing an extension is usually done right before a coach leaves and includes a nice buyout for the school

I see someone pissed in your cereal. He is the Griz coach. Best decision UM has made in awhile

griz5700 said:
Don’t get me wrong, Travis is awesome and I hope he sticks around for a long time. But...

I don’t think a lot of schools see it how Griz fans do. I think he has to prove he can do something special at Montana before that MWC or PAC12 job comes calling. If he accomplished what he has here, at say idaho state or msu, that’d be a different story.
MWC and PAC 12 schools have come calling and he has backed out of both. I think he is the winningest coach in Big Sky history in his first 4 seasons, or very close. He has won more than Tinkle and Krysco. That isn't special?

griz5700 said:

He's also not sticking around a long time. This is most likely the last year because Montana refuses to pay their coaches competitive salaries, or even reasonable. Weber States coach makes almost double what Travis makes

Awesome to see! Fastest coach to 50 wins in the Big Sky and his players would run through a wall for him. Win win!

WaGriz4life said:
griz5700 said:

MWC and PAC 12 schools have come calling and he has backed out of both. I think he is the winningest coach in Big Sky history in his first 4 seasons, or very close. He has won more than Tinkle and Krysco. That isn't special?

TD didn’t back out. Those schools chose not to hire him.

MWC and PAC12 want to see a tourney win or two.

Dominating the big sky if your Weber or Montana isn’t special. Not at all actually.

griz5700 said:
WaGriz4life said:
griz5700 said:

Dominating the big sky if your Weber or Montana isn’t special. Not at all actually.
I half agree with you. First, TDC has dominated the level his team plays at ... and that IS special. Special because you can't get "super-duper" recruits, but you get "good" players, and coach them up, to win -- a lot -- at their level. Not (necessarily) special, from "the powers" view, until you take it to another level are start beating the big boys on a regular basis.

griz5700 said:
WaGriz4life said:
griz5700 said:

From the Missoulian (for what its worth):
"DeCuire reportedly was "a serious candidate" for the Colorado State head coach position but "removed himself from consideration.""
So it seems he chose not to take the job, not the other way around.

griznative24 said:
griz5700 said:
WaGriz4life said:
griz5700 said:

"DeCuire reportedly was "a serious candidate" for the Colorado State head coach position but "removed himself from consideration.""

I disagree. That's the coaches way of saving face when they are passed over.

PeauxRouge said:
griznative24 said:
griz5700 said:
WaGriz4life said:

If you look at the guy CSU ultimately hired, I have to believe that Travis would have been preferable had he still been available.

Paytonlives said:
putter said:
Signing an extension is usually done right before a coach leaves and includes a nice buyout for the school

I see someone pissed in your cereal. He is the Griz coach. Best decision UM has made in awhile

Nope, cereal is fine but way to add to the discussion. Look at history. There have been a lot of coaches around the country that have signed extensions and two weeks later are gone. I hope Travis stays for a long time because I think he can build Griz basketball into something special. With the minuscule pay I don’t Think Montana will ever keep a good, up and coming coach

putter said:
Paytonlives said:
putter said:

Nope, cereal is fine but way to add to the discussion. Look at history. There have been a lot of coaches around the country that have signed extensions and two weeks later are gone. I hope Travis stays for a long time because I think he can build Griz basketball into something special. With the minuscule pay I don’t Think Montana will ever keep a good, up and coming coach
This is true. We all know this. That doesn't mean we can't be excited about Travis coming back for one more year with a loaded team. Watch us be 30-3 next year and have a 12 or 11 seed in the tourney. That doesn't excite you?

WaGriz4life said:
putter said:
Paytonlives said:
putter said:

This is true. We all know this. That doesn't mean we can't be excited about Travis coming back for one more year with a loaded team. Watch us be 30-3 next year and have a 12 or 11 seed in the tourney. That doesn't excite you?

Will someone show me where I am not glad Travis is our coach? To be honest, every time I hear of a coach getting looks, and then signing an extension I am waiting for the shoe to drop. It is a way for the school to get a chunk of change when the coach leaves. My last post even said I hope he stays for a long time because Montana needs a quality coach and stability but a raise to $175K does not get it done these days. Looking at the team he has coming back I am jacked about next year with Dorsey replacing Krslovic...that team is going to do very well.

WaGriz4life said:
griz5700 said:

He's also not sticking around a long time. This is most likely the last year because Montana refuses to pay their coaches competitive salaries, or even reasonable. Weber States coach makes almost double what Travis makes

Weber's average attendance is larger than every other Big Sky b-ball's arena even hold, or close to it. Basketball is, and has long been, the sport that defines their program, and likely brings in far more $ than any other BSC school. Randy Raye also has the longest tenure in the league currently too and has probably had several pay increases over the years. He deserves the highest salary.

GrizWhiz said:
PeauxRouge said:
griznative24 said:
griz5700 said:

If you look at the guy CSU ultimately hired, I have to believe that Travis would have been preferable had he still been available.

I didn't see who CSU hired, but it not be easy to replace Eustacey and his legendary history of shady recruiting and lack of scruples. I remember him from at Idaho and he had a team full of JC-transfers from Mississippi and other undiserable places in the south. He got in trouble at Iowa State too. He is a snake-oil salesman that would sell his own mother to land an academically-challenged thug with potential. I don't think Travis is ready to sell his soul to the devil, which is what it would take to succeed at a place like CSU. I still can't see Travis going anywhere east of Msla, although the right pay-day might change his mind. CSU would have been a disaster, and I think he knew that. He used that interest to parlay a better contract here, and good for him. His payday will come eventually if he keeps up what he is building here.

Zirg said:
GrizWhiz said:
PeauxRouge said:
griznative24 said:

I didn't see who CSU hired, but it not be easy to replace Eustacey and his legendary history of shady recruiting and lack of scruples. I remember him from at Idaho and he had a team full of JC-transfers from Mississippi and other undiserable places in the south. He got in trouble at Iowa State too. He is a snake-oil salesman that would sell his own mother to land an academically-challenged thug with potential. I don't think Travis is ready to sell his soul to the devil, which is what it would take to succeed at a place like CSU. I still can't see Travis going anywhere east of Msla, although the right pay-day might change his mind. CSU would have been a disaster, and I think he knew that. He used that interest to parlay a better contract here, and good for him. His payday will come eventually if he keeps up what he is building here.

What in the hell has the state of Colorado done to you? You slam Northern Colorado on 1 thread. Slam CSU in this thread. Have you ever been to Ft Collins? It is an absolutely beautiful community, with good people. CSU campus is beautiful as well. CSU is a well respected school as well. Certainly is a great fit for the Mountain West. Hate to disappoint you. Come the time when the Power 5 conferences will be needing 14 to 16 members each, for whatever further division will happen in the NCAA, they will be heavily considered, unless the current Pac 12 can somehow convince a few of the big time Texas schools to join. That in itself will be one hell of challenge, considering University of Texas, loves being the big dog in the Big 12, with the most power in that conference.

There really is not a lot of viable options for the PAC 12 to choose from out west, whenver that time comes. I am guessing sometime between 2020 and 2025. I just don't get your bashing of CSU. The bashinng of Eustacey is justified though. Either way, I am glad that we still have DeCuire. I do feel confident in Cobb though, if and when we do lose DeCuire to a bigger school.

Back