• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM and Big Sky will not offer full-cost stipends

No question it is coming. If we are serious about men's basketball and it seems we are, I have no doubt it will be necessary. Women's basketball....I have no comment.

Spanky said:
No question it is coming. If we are serious about men's basketball and it seems we are, I have no doubt it will be necessary. Women's basketball....I have no comment.

Can't do one without the other...

Pay them. So if you are on a academic scholarship you can get a stipend. If you are in the creative writing program and write a book you can get paid. If you are a grad student and get grant funding you can get paid. Every other student in the school can get paid for the work they are pursuing in school, except athletes. It's pretty ridiculous.

So looks like at least 4 FCS schools are going to pay some type of stipend towards full cost of attending school so far. One in the BIg Sky

Liberty
NDSU
North Dakota
Coastal Carolina

Look for more to follow. I can't image the South Dakota Schools will not try to compete with the North Dakota Schools

Looks like Ron Ash is putting his two cents in. He seems to favor paying student athletes in what could be a way to cement their commitment to whomever is signing the check :coffee:

Ash: Full cost of attendance stipends good for athletes

4 hours ago • GREG RACHAC Billings Gazette

BILLINGS – In a perfect world, Montana, Montana State and the rest of the Big Sky Conference would gladly give athletes multi-year scholarships and stipends covering the full cost of attendance for college.

But this isn't a perfect world.

The term is bandied about a lot. “Full cost of attendance.” But what is it, exactly?

In essence, athletic scholarships do not account for essential miscellaneous expenses incurred from the cost of food, transportation, living off campus and other various financial obligations every student must meet.

A cost of attendance stipend could range from anywhere between $2,000 and $5,000 or $6,000, depending on the institution.

UM, MSU and other Big Sky Conference schools don’t have the fiscal means to offer players this stipend, as Grizzlies athletic director Kent Haslam told the Missoulian last week.

“If we had unlimited financial abilities, I would be a proponent of doing everything we possibly can in supporting our student-athletes," Haslam said. “The reality is we don't have those resources.”

On principle, Montana State football coach Rob Ash is all for schools covering the full cost of attendance. He said as much in an interview with The Gazette in 2013 and reiterated that stance on Monday.

“I think in theory, if we can do more for the players, that would be great,” Ash said. “Even though our players have full scholarships, they don’t have the opportunity to work a full-time job, they have to find a way to pay for their cellphone or their car or their registration or their insurance … those things cost money.

“It’s not really my call here at Montana State. I know the issue is huge, but it would take a big amount of money. And I’m not sitting here saying we have to do it. I know the financial realities.”

Of course, some players are better taken care of than others. Those from more affluent families have the means to handle expenses. And those who are underprivileged can apply for Pell Grants, another form of financial aid made available by the U.S. Department of Education.

But those in the middle, Ash said, are the ones who get crunched.

Most amazing is the case of Billings West product Caleb Schreibeis, who Ash said may have had to give up football after his sophomore season had he not been given a scholarship. Schreibeis, Ash said, simply couldn’t afford to be a walk-on any longer.

“It got to the point in the last meeting I had with him that year that I was able to give him a scholarship, thankfully,” Ash said. “If he hadn’t have earned that scholarship I think he possibly would have had to quit.”

Can you imagine? One of the most dominant pass rushers in MSU history and one of only six players in Big Sky Conference history to win the Buck Buchanan Award as the best defensive player in the FCS may have never got a chance solely due to financial happenstance.

Ash also talked about Shadeed Crockett, a receiver from Champlin, Minn., who was forced to leave the Bobcats and transfer to North Dakota State because he had access to cheaper in-state tuition costs.

He didn't have the money to stay in Bozeman.

Last year the NCAA granted the so-called Power Five conferences – the Atlantic Coast, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-12 and Southeastern conference – greater autonomy. One of the first things the leagues did was vote to give athletes full cost of attendance stipends.

Of course, those conferences can afford it.

Last July, NCAA president Mark Emmert testified before the U.S. Senate Committee on Commerce, Science & Transportation. He spoke about his unwavering belief in the value of the NCAA’s model for amateurism – it will never be a pay-for-play organization on his watch – but advocated for all institutions covering the full cost of attendance for athletes.

Emmert was at one time a faculty administrator at Montana State.

“I believe that schools should be allowed the opportunity to provide student-athletes with resources to cover the full cost of attendance – and I have advocated for such additional aid," Emmert said. "It has been difficult to find a workable compromise within the Division I membership on this matter, even though it has been discussed for more than a decade and twice advanced by the (NCAA) board of directors.

“Such a proposal finds favor with institutions that have sufficient resources, while institutions that struggle to make the financial ends meet find it a threat to their competitiveness. Structural and governance changes may be necessary before progress can be made. But I can say that the board of directors and I will continue to look for solutions.”

Simple Question: Would YOU find working the same job for the past 50 years, under the same comp plan acceptable!?! I would not. The entire landscape has changed at the D-1 level.

I WAS a D2 athlete, so please dont compare D2 or yet D3 to what is going on today...

SIMPLE MATH: Add a $5 tax on each ticket for the home football games. Just $5 bucks x 25208 = 126,040 x 6 home game = 756,240 / 300 athletes = $2520.80 per year or 1260.40 per semester for proper health care from injuries, gas, clothing, FOOD & pocket money. Athletes must meet 2.5 GPA or better to receive stipend. Athlete must also NOT have any current legal matters within the community in order to qualify.

$5 bucks per ticket creates enough revenue for 300 students regardless of sport or gender...
NPB

Ron Ash said:
“It got to the point in the last meeting I had with him that year that I was able to give him a scholarship, thankfully,” Ash said. “If he hadn’t have earned that scholarship I think he possibly would have had to quit.”
Weird. That kid didn't sound very "committed" but Ron Ash rewarded him nonetheless.

Back