• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UM vs Ivy League

I agree that the top half (maybe top three) of the Ivies could compete in the Big Sky. Most definitely. It also irks me that they're even ranked by TSN, though since they don't participate in the playoffs.
Put me in the camp who'd love to see the Griz kick Hahvaahd's ass. Because that would be the most competitive game for sure. Maybe Yale. Dartmouth, not so much. I have friends who went there. Great school, clearly. But they'll beat our asses at rowing, not football.

I think the top 1/3 of the lower half of the Ivy's teams could get on a train at 4:00 a.m. ET and arrive, and win 1/2 the time, at what time Mountain Time?

GrizGuy said:
I agree that the top half (maybe top three) of the Ivies could compete in the Big Sky. Most definitely. It also irks me that they're even ranked by TSN, though since they don't participate in the playoffs.
Put me in the camp who'd love to see the Griz kick Hahvaahd's ass. Because that would be the most competitive game for sure. Maybe Yale. Dartmouth, not so much. I have friends who went there. Great school, clearly. But they'll beat our asses at rowing, not football.
They have great wrestlers and hockey players. I went to a columbia vs lehigh wrestling match a few years ago and three wrestlers on the u columbia were from Montana.

SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
There is not a team in the Ivy league that could compete with a Big Sky team. Imagine the Pioneer league with less athleticism but better facilities. That's not a slight on Ivy league football, they would dominate Trivial Pursuit and they will all make more money than God. We can't all be good at everything; they can't play football and I was no good at Trig, it happens.

It's easy to see that you didn't go to the Ivy league. What a totally ignorant first sentence, as has already been pointed out.

The top half of the Ivies could compete well in the Big Sky. The bottom half, not so so much. They're done around the bottom several of the Big Sky.

Of course I didn't go to an Ivy league school. In Canada if we want to go to a school with a big reputation we go to Queens or McGill, the Ivy league is where we send female hockey players. I went to the U of Montana, why else would I be a Griz fan?

I can't respond to the second part as I don't understand it. Must be lost in translation.
UBC and Simon Fraser, it can be argued, are now the leading universities of the Great Frozen North...

GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
There is not a team in the Ivy league that could compete with a Big Sky team. Imagine the Pioneer league with less athleticism but better facilities. That's not a slight on Ivy league football, they would dominate Trivial Pursuit and they will all make more money than God. We can't all be good at everything; they can't play football and I was no good at Trig, it happens.

It's easy to see that you didn't go to the Ivy league. What a totally ignorant first sentence, as has already been pointed out.

The top half of the Ivies could compete well in the Big Sky. The bottom half, not so so much. They're done around the bottom several of the Big Sky.

Of course I didn't go to an Ivy league school. In Canada if we want to go to a school with a big reputation we go to Queens or McGill, the Ivy league is where we send female hockey players. I went to the U of Montana, why else would I be a Griz fan?

I can't respond to the second part as I don't understand it. Must be lost in translation.
UBC and Simon Fraser, it can be argued, are now the leading universities of the Great Frozen North...

The great thing about Simon Fraser is that it is located at the top of a hill in Burnaby BC, so all the girls have great legs from hiking up to class every day. UBC= University of a Billion Chinese (according to the hilarious book "Things White People Like) is also a good schools.

PlayerRep said:
SaskGriz said:
SaskGriz said:

Princeton finished 4th in the Ivy and lost to San Diego by 10, Harvard who went undefeated their 3 out of conference wins were against Lafayette (Patriot league 3-3, 5-6), Holy Cross (Patriot League 2-4, 4-8), and Georgetown (Patriot League 1-5, 3-8). So I might be wrong about my opening statement, but....

And Harvard was ranked 14th in the nation, with only EWU and UM above them. Looks like most of the nation, and certainly the pollsters, don't agree with you.

This was your statement that some are disputing (and I am calling ignorant). "There is not a team in the Ivy league that could compete with a Big Sky team." Either defend this statement, or admit that it's wrong. I love to hear your arguments how CP was actually better than Yale last year, or how the bottom of the Big Sky is better than Harvard and top of the Ivies. Then, if you want, the discussion can move on to another topic about the strength of the Ivies.

Okay PR, I think I covered how the top team in the Ivy only beat Ivy teams and three non-conference games against teams with losing records from a traditionally weak conference. I also pointed out that Princeton (4th out of 8 in the Ivy lost to San Diego who were nowhere near as good as Central Washington).

As for the bottom teams in the BCS; UC Davis only won two games all year; Cal Poly who led the country in rushing and beat us handily, and Fort Lewis, which doesn't sound like much but Ft.Lewis beat CSU-Pueblo who beat Sam Houston State who are in the national semi this weekend, so a very quality team. Portland State lost 29-14 to Oregon State, if you think any Ivy is playing within 15 of a Pac 12 team, it better by Princeton in Men's Basketball running that backdoor cut offense from the early 90's. Weber State lost to NDSU 24-7, NDSU has won a couple games the last few years.

And Yale completely deserved to win the Cal Poly game; Poly had 4 TO's and 100 yrds in penalties but no excuse. One game does not a season make.

Although not apples to apples, Navy and Air Force play Notre Dame on a regular basis, generating great interest for each contest. It may be said that upper level Ivies would provide similar games with BCS on a regular basis. Not sure if Ivy League puts much value in FCS ranking during the season. And, even more thought provoking is the fact that the league as a whole cares very little about lower end rivalries. They play those games more for "tradition" than competition.

SaskGriz said:
GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

The great thing about Simon Fraser is that it is located at the top of a hill in Burnaby BC, so all the girls have great legs from hiking up to class every day. UBC= University of a Billion Chinese (according to the hilarious book "Things White People Like) is also a good schools.
Had I not been drafted, I would have gone to York...things have worked out since then. The Maple Leaf rules!

GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:
GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:

Had I not been drafted, I would have gone to York...things have worked out since then. The Maple Leaf rules!

Your support of the Leafs is both sad and frightening. I calculate my age based on the last time they won the cup and I'm 47. :lol: :lol: :lol: Go Habs!!!!

SaskGriz said:
GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:
GrizLA said:

Your support of the Leafs is both sad and frightening. I calculate my age based on the last time they won the cup and I'm 47. :lol: :lol: :lol: Go Habs!!!!

Why are the Leafs referred to as the Habs? Something I've always wondered :?

biga75 said:
SaskGriz said:
GrizLA said:
SaskGriz said:

Why are the Leafs referred to as the Habs? Something I've always wondered :?
Montreal Canadiens are the Habs, not Maple leafs - abbreviation of French nickname Les Habitants

Back