• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Up Tempo Offense

mtgriz

DONOR
Yep, the up tempo offense appears to be more productive. But has anyone actually drive charted all the up tempo series in the past couple years that ended up without success? I suspect selective memory is at work and it is about as successful as the style Delaney has selected.

I don't think it can be used on a frequent basis as the offense isn't built that way now. When Pflugrad installed his offense he had the linemen drop weight and build up their cardiovascular capacity.

As far as the final drive, I bet they would have gone up tempo after getting some field position, probably after picking up the initial first down. Unfortunately, due to Van trying to hit a homerun with the off tackle run that was stuffed, the series got off to a very bad start.

mtgriz said:
Yep, the up tempo offense appears to be more productive. But has anyone actually drive charted all the up tempo series in the past couple years that ended up without success? I suspect selective memory is at work and it is about as successful as the style Delaney has selected.

I don't think it can be used on a frequent basis as the offense isn't built that way now. When Pflugrad installed his offense he had the linemen drop weight and build up their cardiovascular capacity.

As far as the final drive, I bet they would have gone up tempo after getting some field position, probably after picking up the initial first down. Unfortunately, due to Van trying to hit a homerun with the off tackle run that was stuffed, the series got off to a very bad start.
JJ sure looks more comfortable running the up tempo offense. He directs and leads the team. His execution was obviously much better Saturday on the drive we used it.

Against good defenses, I think JJ is simply a pedestrian pocket passer.

Give him more control, a faster rhythm, and a spread-out approach and he's one of the best spread QBs in FCS.

I hope the coaches don't spend his senior wasting his talent by forgetting this.

havgrizfan said:
Whatever your opinions of it, the coaching staff may be, they are not going to scrap teh base offense. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
Agreed. But hopefully they will use some of the plays we saw yesterday more often. Having JJ rollout, more quicker/shorter routes and more use of our tight ends. And bring back the middle screen for Christ's sake. I liked some of the play calling yesterday. It looks like there has been some growth.

havgrizfan said:
Whatever your opinions of it, the coaching staff may be, they are not going to scrap teh base offense. IT'S NOT GOING TO HAPPEN
Yeah, we know that.

Which is one of the reasons I was so vocal last year when these changes were announced.

I'd just like to see them do something to play to JJ's strengths. With this O-Line, we may have a long season if they keep trying to be a power run team.

jodcon said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Have no fear. I already proposed the new offense last night. Just between us gals, my hair is washed, and I'm just waiting for the phone to ring.

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=66980&start=50#p977568

You need to break out the Tecmo Bowl action again...

Reverse fake Z post. We ran a variant for a TD. Watch as the action in the backfield just FREEZES a linebacker and most of the secondary. If it worked on Japanese 8-bit computer programmers in 1991, it will damn sure work on NDSU. We just have to hope they don't pick the same play.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RpqXDkEJ0[/youtube]

CDAGRIZ said:
jodcon said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Have no fear. I already proposed the new offense last night. Just between us gals, my hair is washed, and I'm just waiting for the phone to ring.

You need to break out the Tecmo Bowl action again...

Reverse fake Z post. We ran a variant for a TD. Watch as the action in the backfield just FREEZES a linebacker and most of the secondary. If it worked on Japanese 8-bit computer programmers in 1991, it will damn sure work on NDSU. We just have to hope they don't pick the same play.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9RpqXDkEJ0[/youtube]

No way they sniff that out...cornerback bites on the fake like Ole on lutefisk and Henderson waltzes home.

Right? And look how open Canada/Van is at the 28 if JJ has to check down. Perfect play.

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I would love to see the original crayon drawings with all the x's and o's. I like the theme, five-wide and fuck the run!

Thanks. Mom threw the drawings away. Something about how I, "need to get my shit together and get a job." Pssh, she can't even remember to buy the right kind of pizza rolls. I'm thinking about moving out.

CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I would love to see the original crayon drawings with all the x's and o's. I like the theme, five-wide and fuck the run!

Thanks. Mom threw the drawings away. Something about how I, "need to get my shit together and get a job." Pssh, she can't even remember to buy the right kind of pizza rolls. I'm thinking about moving out.

Again! Jesus! I would wait for her to go to sleep tonight and steal some money out of her purse. First thing when you wake up at noon, call the locksmith and get a lock put on the basement door. Dude, she's got no right to throw out your shit.

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Again! Jesus! I would wait for her to go to sleep tonight and steal some money out of her purse. First thing when you wake up at noon, call the locksmith and get a lock put on the basement door. Dude, she's got no right to throw out your shit.

Thanks, bro. Great plan. She just doesn't understand that the subterranean lifestyle is a choice. One more threat to shut down my DirecTV/Fios Triple Play, and she's going straight to a home. BOOM!

uofmman1122 said:
Against good defenses, I think JJ is simply a pedestrian pocket passer.

Give him more control, a faster rhythm, and a spread-out approach and he's one of the best spread QBs in FCS.

I hope the coaches don't spend his senior wasting his talent by forgetting this.

Well said. Mick is old school and will continue to "establish the run" come hell or high water.
Note the first series after half. 3 running plays after coming out the first half with 3 throwing plays.

Back