• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Update: Kidder Cut by Vikes; Signs with Pats

BDizzle said:
reinell30 said:
ordigger said:
Yeah Baby! Whohoo!

I remember when the Patriots drafted a little unknown QB, and have been a fan every since. I lived through the dog days....through the two win seasons, through Jack Tatums shot on Darryl Stingley, through the smashing by the Bears in the Super Bowl (although I was just happy they were there) and to some of the greatest teams of all time. Of course that qb out Stanford, never did much in New England, he went on to greater things with the Raiders - Jim Plunkett.

And of course the haters are going to hate. Cue them in 3, 2, 1 .......

I wish New England would sign Marc Mariani, the receivers coach for New England is one hell of a coach. Marc would get his due chance there.

I'm pretty sure Mariani and Reynolds are done playing in the NFL.

Don't know about Mariani, but Reynolds and his agent expect him to be picked up as the pre-season goes on. At least, as of several weeks ago when I talked to him. A number of teams have shown interest to his agent. Bergquist indicated the same or similar things about Mariani earlier too. The thought, or hope, is that someone would realize that they need a reliable returner as pre-season goes on.

"Despite a productive five-year collegiate career at the University of Montana, Kidder went unselected during this year's NFL draft. Instead, the two-time All-Big Sky defensive lineman signed a free agency contract with the Minnesota Vikings. Kidder spent the entire offseason with the Vikings until he was released last week.

Now, the 23-year old, who played both on the interior and the edge in Montana, will join a deep Patriots defensive line. Consequently, Kidder's chances of making the team - especially considering how late he joined it - do not look good right now. Given his versatility, however, he might be a candidate for the practice squad."

https://www.patspulpit.com/2017/7/26/16040464/new-england-patriots-sign-rookie-defensive-line-caleb-kidder-montana-minnesota-vikings

dupuyer griz said:
ordigger said:
Yeah Baby! Whohoo!

I remember when the Patriots drafted a little unknown QB, and have been a fan every since. I lived through the dog days....through the two win seasons, through Jack Tatums shot on Darryl Stingley, through the smashing by the Bears in the Super Bowl (although I was just happy they were there) and to some of the greatest teams of all time. Of course that qb out Stanford, never did much in New England, he went on to greater things with the Raiders - Jim Plunkett.

And of course the haters are going to hate. Cue them in 3, 2, 1 .......
Eff the patriots. If you are being honest, good for you for sticking by your team I hate a wagon jumper. As a Raider fan I can relate to the rough years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Growing up in Missoula, I never met one Patriot fan, now they are everywhere. Everyone in the 70s seemed to like the Raiders, Vikings, Cowboys, Dolphins and Steelers in those days.

My favorite player to this day is Steve Grogan. Injuries took from him, what early on looked like it could be a HOF type career. Guy could not only throw, but run .... and run well. Held rushing TD record by a qb until Cam Newton broke it - I think. Grogan, was 30 years ahead of his time, in an era with so many HOF qbs. Bobby Douglas, an old Bears qb could run also, but he didn't have the arm that Grogan did. Both Grogan (Kansas State) & Douglas (Kansas) were high school stars in Kansas.

"I just got a call (Tuesday) saying that they wanted to bring me in and work me out and that doesn't mean a whole lot," Kidder told the Missoulian on Wednesday. "That just means they want to work me out. They already bought a return flight. They called me in, worked me out and I was just expecting to fly back to Montana and they pulled me in the office and signed me right after the workout. It was awesome."

"I was obviously pretty down about the Vikings waiving me because I felt like I had a good opportunity there," Kidder said. "But everything happens for a reason. Honestly, it was a blessing in disguise. Being here and being around the Patriots organization, just seeing how they operate, it's been an experience, even though I've only been here for eight hours."

"It's a humbling experience to have an opportunity on any team in the NFL. It's the NFL. To be in a position where I'm at and get to be at an organization that I'm at and they feel like I have the potential to help their team out, it's an awesome feeling."

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/ex-griz-de-caleb-kidder-signs-with-new-england-patriots/article_255d1c60-d934-5055-9c38-8db99b1ed21c.html

Patriots are looking thin at DE with the retirement of Rob Ninkovich, and top draft pick Derek Rivers potentially done for the season with an ACL issue. Trey Flowers is the starter.

For those in the know in regard to Caleb's style, could he be a backup option at DE now? Would his style translate in the NFL?

"Pass rush – New England’s defensive end position and pass rush are the biggest question the team faces this summer. With Rob Ninkovich retired and rookies Deatrich Wise Jr. (head) and Derek Rivers (reported season-ending knee injury) hurt, there just isn’t a lot at the position right now. Kony Ealy continues to be lackluster early in his time in New England. Early on against Houston late undrafted rookie signing Caleb Kidder was getting reps on the right end spot with fellow undrafted rookie Harvey Langi rushing off the left side. Trey Flowers was dressed but did not play. The bodies and the production from the pass rush/defensive edge wasn’t good enough against the Texans and bears watching from now straight into the regular season."

"Patriots-Texans Takeaways: Undrafted Rookies Generate Pressure In Loss"

"The Patriots were left with just Ealy and Caleb Kidder at defensive end with Trey Flowers, Deatrich Wise, Derek Rivers, Keionta Davis and Geneo Grissom out. Ealy asserted himself well and looked especially impressive jumping off the snap. He still might not be a lock to make the Patriots’ 53-man roster, but he’s solidly a near-lock at this point."

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/08/patriots-texans-takeaways-undrafted-rookies-generate-pressure/

Aug. 14 article: LONGSHOTS (22) RB LeShun Daniels FB Glenn Gronkowski WR Cody Hollister WR K.J. Maye WR Tony Washington TE Sam Cotton TE Matt Lengel OL Cole Croston OL Jamil Douglas OL James Ferentz OT Andrew Jelks OL Jason King OL Max Rich DT Josh Augusta DE Keionta Davis DT Woodrow Hamilton DE Caleb Kidder...

http://nesn.com/2017/08/who-on-patriots-90-man-roster-is-a-lock-to-last-for-regular-season/

"There were some defensive substitutions for the second series. The Patriots opened with a four-man front of Langi, Branch, Valentine and Caleb Kidder, who appears to be a longshot to make the 53-man roster. Ryan Griffin then beat linebacker David Harris for a 6-yard catch. Harris, who surely will be protected in coverage situations, stuffed Miller for no gain on the next play, showing that his strength remains as a downhill player.

The Texans converted on the ensuing third-and-4 because Savage had enough time to stare into the solar eclipse before delivering a 15-yard pass to Stephen Anderson. But the four-man rush included Langi, Valentine, Adam Butler and Kidder. Butler is a practice-squad candidate like Kidder, and with standard health across the board, Langi and Valentine are still backups despite their nice camps.

Langi, who had a QB hit and a pressure in the first three series while other starters were in the game, made a couple of mistakes in the second drive. His delayed blitz was a step late, which allowed Savage to hit Tyler Ervin for 6 yards, and Langi later committed a hands-to-the-face penalty to set up first-and-goal from the 4 instead of third-and-7 from the 9. Butler then got beat by Jaelen Strong for a 2-yard score on a double move. Butler didn’t allow a TD after Week 12 last season."

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/patriots/2017/08/howe_no_cause_for_alarm_in_patriots_ugly_defense_vs_texans

Kidder was injured during pre-season. Hurt his wrist. Will have offseason surgery. Tried to play with a hard cast or something, in the game he started. Below is his official status. Think he is on injured reserve or something like that. Has been invited back for next year.

"8/28 Caleb Kidder Reserve/Injured from Waived/Injured; Not Against 90 (reserve/injured from waived/injured; not against 90). "

PlayerRep said:
Kidder was injured during pre-season. Hurt his wrist. Will have offseason surgery. Tried to play with a hard cast or something, in the game he started. Below is his official status. Think he is on injured reserve or something like that. Has been invited back for next year.

"8/28 Caleb Kidder Reserve/Injured from Waived/Injured; Not Against 90 (reserve/injured from waived/injured; not against 90). "
Good to hear.

Back