• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vim's 2018 Montana High School Football Recruiting List

I can tell you the Griz coaches base a lot of their recruiting, especially in-state players, on what they see in their summer camps. They want players who want to be a Griz, and see how they interact with the other players..

For whatever reason, Glacier Coach Bennett, while being a former Griz standout, is not a big proponent of promoting his players and their abilities, and doesn't necessarily "encourage" them to get to these camps. In fact, he has in the past taken the whole team to Coeur d'Alene and Spokane to their camps instead.

First and foremost, good high school coaches like Grady stay completely unbiased in the recruitment process of their kids. Second, its pretty hard to blame a coach for taking his kids to camps that get them more exposure and the opportunity to compete against better competition. There is a reason Glacier is good every year. The UM/MSU camps during the summer are excellent ways for Montana kids to get to know the staffs of the schools. But it isn't out of the ordinary for Montana high school teams competing at out-of-state camps. For example, Billings Senior tries to go down to Colorado State's high school team camp every year.

And it isn't like Stitt isn't recruiting Glacier kids. He offered Hashley and Gilman. The Bobcat ties certainly weren't in his favor with Hashley but he lost to the Cats in recruiting Gilman despite the rhetoric that the Cats only got Gilman because he was good friends with Hashley. Gilman chose the Bobcats because he liked the coaching staff better at MSU. Just like the Deming twins and Nate Dick chose the Griz because they liked the UM coaching staff better. The "culture fit" matters for these kids.

VimSince03 said:
I can tell you the Griz coaches base a lot of their recruiting, especially in-state players, on what they see in their summer camps. They want players who want to be a Griz, and see how they interact with the other players..

For whatever reason, Glacier Coach Bennett, while being a former Griz standout, is not a big proponent of promoting his players and their abilities, and doesn't necessarily "encourage" them to get to these camps. In fact, he has in the past taken the whole team to Coeur d'Alene and Spokane to their camps instead.

First and foremost, good high school coaches like Grady stay completely unbiased in the recruitment process of their kids. Second, its pretty hard to blame a coach for taking his kids to camps that get them more exposure and the opportunity to compete against better competition. There is a reason Glacier is good every year. The UM/MSU camps during the summer are excellent ways for Montana kids to get to know the staffs of the schools. But it isn't out of the ordinary for Montana high school teams competing at out-of-state camps. For example, Billings Senior tries to go down to Colorado State's high school team camp every year.

And it isn't like Stitt isn't recruiting Glacier kids. He offered Hashley and Gilman. The Bobcat ties certainly weren't in his favor with Hashley but he lost to the Cats in recruiting Gilman despite the rhetoric that the Cats only got Gilman because he was good friends with Hashley. Gilman chose the Bobcats because he liked the coaching staff better at MSU. Just like the Deming twins and Nate Dick chose the Griz because they liked the UM coaching staff better. The "culture fit" matters for these kids.

What vim said here is 100% correct.
A 4 hour drive to face quality competition vs 10 hours bus ride to watch other coaches video everything you do... the Billings coaches are notorious for this.

Grady is going to guide the players to go where it is best for them.

Stitt and comp just needs to be more visual in Kalispell, the cats coaches are there a lot.

KoolMoeDee said:
NW Border camp is June 19-22. Glacier kids can attend the camps at UM the week before or the camp in July.

As a former parent of high school football players, I can tell you that a kid can go to a camp just about every week if he/you want to. Most people have to limit the camps due to financial constraints or conflicts with other sports/activities in the summer. Most coaches want the kids to go to their "team" camps. They encourage that, rather than individual camps. The AA schools all used to meet in Billings for a camp. I think they have gotten away from that, and now go to a few different ones.

If a kid's heart is set on MSU or UM, he will probably go to their camps. If he is wide open, he will go to his school's team camp, wherever that may be. Then if he has the time or resources, he may go to an individual camp. The high school coaches do have a LOT of influence on what camps (especially team camps) a player attends.

"If a kid's heart is set on MSU or UM, he will probably go to their camps. If he is wide open, he will go to his school's team camp, wherever that may be. Then if he has the time or resources, he may go to an individual camp. The high school coaches do have a LOT of influence on what camps (especially team camps) a player attends."

Exactly.. :thumb:

Paytonlives said:
BTW I love Sulser, but Drew Turner is the best player on the board.
Kid runs a 4.45 40 and under 11 in the 100 meter.

Montana dosen't usually have RB's like that...

These two are fast, dead heat practically:

100 Meters STATE Class AA - Prelims

1. 10 Damien Nelson 11.19a Charles M Russell
2. 12 John Tolentino 11.33a Helena
3. 12 Remington Hjelvik 11.39a Billings West
4. 10 Gabe Sulser 11.41a Billings Senior
5. 10 Drew Turner 11.44a Glacier

100 Meters STATE Class AA - Finals

1. 10 Damien Nelson 11.26a Charles M Russell
2. 12 Remington Hjelvik 11.29a Billings West
3. 12 John Tolentino 11.30a Helena
4. 10 Drew Turner 11.39a Glacier
5. 10 Gabe Sulser 11.42a Billings Senior

VimSince03 said:
Buttegrizzle said:
No 4 on your list Vim? Max Morris. The one I know is from Helena High not Glacier. Are there two? The Helena kid is a great young man. Not sure he is No 4 in the state but he is a good kid and has good size.

He is moving to Glacier so he will be a TE for the Wolfpack in the fall of 2017. Max made no all-conference or all-state lists but that doesn't mean he isn't a really good prospect or football player. He also has academic pedigree so recruiters will take notice....and they already have. MSU, UM, NDSU, UND, and Princeton are actively recruiting him while Washington's current TE coach follows him on twitter.

As a football player, he has the perfect build for a college level TE and he runs well. He was forced to block a lot last year for Helena High so he got some much needed experience in the trenches as he filled in for Taylor England (out with an injury) for most of the year.

Nathaniel Ferguson P, K, TE, WR 6-1, 210 getting followed by Yale, Princeton, Cornell, MT Tech and MSU. He gos way back with Max Morris-they have been battling in basketball and football since grade school. Now they they always find each other at games for a fist bump. Both scored their first TD in the HHS-Butte game last year.

I think we all knew this, but here is the conformation.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/NDSUonScout/status/837340500311085057[/tweet]

Paytonlives said:

Gabe Sulser, you want MONTANA across your proud chest :!:

VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:
Sulser= Next JLM

Think higher with Gabe. Mariani is a better comparison because Gabe can play outside.
From what I see on tape, I'd say JLM is the superior Z receiver....and Gabe is the superior outside WR. However each can play either spot VERY well.

If we get Suler, his sophomore year we would have JLM, Akem, Toure, Bingham, Corbin, and Sulser all on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:
Sulser= Next JLM

Think higher with Gabe. Mariani is a better comparison because Gabe can play outside.
From what I see on tape, I'd say JLM is the superior Z receiver....and Gabe is the superior outside WR.

If we get Suler, his sophomore year we would have JLM, Akem, Toure, Bingham, Corbin, and Sulser all on the roster.

As crazy as it sounds knowing how well JLM produced his freshman season, Sulser has a higher ceiling because he has the ability to do more from the outside receiver positions than Jerry.

However each can play either spot VERY well.

I disagree with this mostly because I don't think Louie-McGee is much of a matchup problem from the X or Y. He is a nightmare from the Z. What I'm trying to tell you is I believe Gabe can be a future matchup problem from the X, Y, or Z. So that is why you should think more Mariani than JLM.

VimSince03 said:
brewskis said:
VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:
Sulser= Next JLM

From what I see on tape, I'd say JLM is the superior Z receiver....and Gabe is the superior outside WR.

As crazy as it sounds knowing how well JLM produced his freshman season, Sulser has a higher ceiling because he has the ability to do more from the outside receiver positions than Jerry.

I disagree with this mostly because I don't think Louie-McGee is much of a matchup problem from the X or Y. He is a nightmare from the Z. What I'm trying to tell you is I believe Gabe can be a future matchup problem from the X, Y, or Z. So that is why you should think more Mariani than JLM.

of course I want him in a griz uniform, having said that, sulser is a known commodity, fbs schools are going to come calling.....the thought of him going to ndsu made me throw up in my mouth a little, same with msu, but at least he stays in state and represents his home state of montana at msu.

krammer said:
VimSince03 said:
brewskis said:
VimSince03 said:

of course I want him in a griz uniform, having said that, sulser is a known commodity, fbs schools are going to come calling.....the thought of him going to ndsu made me throw up in my mouth a little, same with msu, but at least he stays in state and represents his home state of montana at msu.

See this thread: http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=76214.

VimSince03 said:
brewskis said:
VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:
Sulser= Next JLM

Good points all around! I do agree that Gabe appears to have more breakaway speed than Jerry.

Paytonlives said:

How the heck does the Bison Report know this but none of our news media been able to figure this out?

dayday said:
Paytonlives said:

How the heck does the Bison Report know this but none of our news media been able to figure this out?

Pretty simple. They just straight up ask. Montana media has always been relatively slow on things like this and people wonder why Montana athletes don't get notoriety from out-of-state media. Drives me crazy.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Paytonlives said:
BTW I love Sulser, but Drew Turner is the best player on the board.
Kid runs a 4.45 40 and under 11 in the 100 meter.

Montana dosen't usually have RB's like that...

These two are fast, dead heat practically:

100 Meters STATE Class AA - Prelims

1. 10 Damien Nelson 11.19a Charles M Russell
2. 12 John Tolentino 11.33a Helena
3. 12 Remington Hjelvik 11.39a Billings West
4. 10 Gabe Sulser 11.41a Billings Senior
5. 10 Drew Turner 11.44a Glacier

100 Meters STATE Class AA - Finals

1. 10 Damien Nelson 11.26a Charles M Russell
2. 12 Remington Hjelvik 11.29a Billings West
3. 12 John Tolentino 11.30a Helena
4. 10 Drew Turner 11.39a Glacier
5. 10 Gabe Sulser 11.42a Billings Senior

What is really crazy about these times for Sulser and Turner?? They were 16 year-old kids. Waiting to see what they do this spring, but next year as seniors?? Could be real special :thumb:

Back