• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Was McDowell a Top 25 FCS QB Last Year?

I guess we’ll never know since he didn’t play in the game and was probably hurt or about to be hurt.
We know that we didn't win with McDowell and he gained 2 yards. I liked McDowell and what he did for the Griz season, but his game in Frisco wasn't good and was disappointing. McDowell started in all conference games except NAU and didn't even get honorable mention all Big Sky.

He wouldn't have started at Idaho, Idaho State ,Davis or Cats in my opinion. Partially because of their style of play. Idaho QB now at Oregon St., Davis QB was Big Sky First team as a Soph., Idaho St. QB can flat out throw the ball. And I don't think he was as good as Cats QB's. I don't think they had a game when both were hurt.
And the EWU QB was honorable mention all-Big Sky. So, there's 5 teams and I think 6 QB's that were better than McDowell. Again, I liked his play and what he did for the Griz. I liked Gubner and Bergen more.

Cliff is gone so I don't care. He did what he did last year with obvious chinks in the armor but had a big part in almost getting the Griz to FCS heaven. Hip, hip hooray. More excited to hear a kid (Montana kid to boot) has come up the ranks and looked good in the scrimmage. I'll admit I'll pull for a home grown kid juuuuust a little bit more because it was a little more fun when Selle or Brady were taking snaps. No doubt more developments are pending so I'm looking thattaway.

We know that we didn't win with McDowell and he gained 2 yards. I liked McDowell and what he did for the Griz season, but his game in Frisco wasn't good and was disappointing. McDowell started in all conference games except NAU and didn't even get honorable mention all Big Sky.
All he did was win. Bobby's system is never going to generate a ton of awards for the QB...(IMHO).

The Cat QB’s weren’t hurt at same time in 2023. They were both faster than McDowell, one much faster. That’s why they had long runs and a much higher average per carry. I think McDowell’s long was 42. 2 yards for Cliff in Frisco. Mellot ran for 108 and average about 11 yards per carry against the Griz.
How many yards did Mellott have in Frisco? How about Chambers?

Same number as Mahomes. And the Cat qb’s had 2 less than McDowell. If you are okay with McDowell’s play at Frisco, especially second half, go for it.
Tying him to a 1-game performance (against arguably one of the top 5-7 FCS teams EVER) is disingenuous. He started 10 other games and went 10-0. Would you take that again? I know I would.

When the likes of Everett are talking about getting to Frisco, it’s hard to respond without addressing Frisco.

Great players play well in champ games no matter the competition. In my view, McDowell didn’t play well late in season. It is just not true that SDS was so good that they held him to 2 yards.

Lex Hilliard ran 12 times for 26 yards (2.17avg) in the 2004 NC game. As a team, we ran 23 times for 44 yards. I think we were better than that, and I think Lex was a great player.

In 2008, as a team, we ran 25 times for 39 yards. I think we were better than that, and I think Chase was a great player.

These statistics and opinions are provided free of context.

Lex Hilliard ran 12 times for 26 yards (2.17avg) in the 2004 NC game. As a team, we ran 23 times for 44 yards. I think we were better than that, and I think Lex was a great player.

In 2008, as a team, we ran 25 times for 39 yards. I think we were better than that, and I think Chase was a great player.

These statistics and opinions are provided free of context.
Yes, Lex was great player. He ran 12 for 26 in that game. McDowell ran 13 for 2. Lex and Chase didn't leave UM before their last year, and didn't go to an 0-10 team for their senior years. I think they were both drafted, and played multiple years in the NFL. In 2004, Hilliard had 120 against the Cats. 171 against NW St, 107 against NH, and 38 against SHS. Reynolds was 12-47 in that 2008 game, for 3.9 average. Way more than a running qb who gets 2 yards.

I guess we’ll never know since he didn’t play in the game and was probably hurt or about to be hurt.
But we do know McDowell flopped and gained 2 yards, and then went to an 0-10 team. And we know Mellott was 2d team all-conference in the past 2 years, and McDowell didn't make even honorable mention and wasn't in the top 5 of conference qb's.

Back