• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What will it take? (I have an answer!)

AllWeatherFan said:
I don't think a Sweet 16 appearance is the key. I think winning is the key. We need to run the conference slate (or come close) consistently, win the close games we've lost to our non-conference opponents, and become a Top 25 team. That's what it will take.

So the Sweet 16 isn't the key, winning is the key, but if we're in the Sweet 16, we're winning or we wouldn't be in the Sweet 16, so we actually do agree on winning, just the degree of the winning, is that a winning statement?

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:
I don't think a Sweet 16 appearance is the key. I think winning is the key. We need to run the conference slate (or come close) consistently, win the close games we've lost to our non-conference opponents, and become a Top 25 team. That's what it will take.

So the Sweet 16 isn't the key, winning is the key, but if we're in the Sweet 16, we're winning or we wouldn't be in the Sweet 16, so we actually do agree on winning, just the degree of the winning, is that a winning statement?

Technically, we could come in under 500 and lose a shit ton of games, win the Big Sky tournament and win our first two games in the tournament and make the sweet 16.

citay said:
AllWeatherFan said:

You win. You are winning so much you must be tired of winning!

The_Real_Chief said:
kyle_sample said:
The university could start by addressing the terrible agreement it has with the Adams Center

Kyle tell us more...

I have heard similar descriptions from people connected with UM sports... who, because of their positions, have to be very careful with any criticisms leveled at the Adams Center.

grizzlyjournal said:
The_Real_Chief said:
kyle_sample said:
The university could start by addressing the terrible agreement it has with the Adams Center

Kyle tell us more...

I have heard similar descriptions from people connected with UM sports... who, because of their positions, have to be very careful with any criticisms leveled at the Adams Center.

This sounds like some G14 classified information

citay said:
To bring real passion back to Montana basketball. I mean, if it weren't for women's softball, or a new facility at Idaho, or any number of my asinine posts, this forum would be as dead as Bannack, Montana at four in the morning. Meantime, over on the football board, if I'd started a post asking who would be the most improved player or top newcomer next year, they'd be up to five pages right now, and still typing. Over here? Eleven tepid responses.

Here we are, in my opinion, with one of the top up-and-coming coaches in all of college basketball, our very own Travis DeCuire, a guy who treats Montana both in recruiting and scheduling like we were Cal or Washington State. We enter next season with possibly the deepest most talented roster in the history of the basketball program at Montana, one that can compete in size and quickness with any program in the country. (Yes, we've certainly had better individual players, but never an entire roster with this much potential.) Many of us await the new schedule with the eagerness of a kid opening presents for the first time Christmas morning, knowing that one gift is UCLA.

Ho-hum.

So what will it take to stir some excitement on this board, to return Montana basketball to its former glory?

Not a conference championship. We've done that.
Not an NCAA appearance. We've had four the past ten years, with two blowouts, but also one victory, and one very close game. So: Done that. Hardly moved the needle.

Here's the answer.

A Sweet 16 appearance. A low-seed Cinderella underdog actually knocking off a major program or two, while garnering all the attention that goes with that kind of run at the Big Dance. The publicity would be unprecedented at Montana, far more than a championship at the FCB or BCF or whatever level division 1-aa is now called--enough that even some over on the football board would take notice.

Possible?

I believe it is.

But back to Tristin Achenbach. Or Idaho's wood palace. Sheesh.

Kind of weird topic and seems the same question that Citay asks about 5 times a year here. It's July 6th and there's never been passion about Griz basketball on July 6th! Jud Heathcoate was golfing in July! John Calipari probably is too! I was in school 1978 - 1982 sort of in the middle of "The Good Old Days". Crowds filled Adams Center during the season for games but Griz basketball was a whisper in July. Those "passion" filled years were a different day. And really "Glory" and "Passion" to you just seem to relate to bigger crowds that seemed a little crazier back then.

So much less competition for the athletic-interest and entertainment dollar then. "Traditional" fans are aging. Younger generation much more participatory and not necessarily within the "traditional" sports. They play lacrosse, soccer, hockey, rugby, snowboard, ski, raft, kayak, SUP, curl, fish, surf...and on.

Griz bball has enjoyed steady crowds and good success over the past 10+ years....about the same success if not more than the prior 25. "The Zoo" doesn't crowd the entry and await the doors opening to race to their seats like they did in 1978. But the Griz faithful watched a couple great wins in the conference tourney championship games in Dahlberg just a few years ago. Never happened back when things were so "passionate". We watched Will Cherry and Kareem Jamar, two of the all-time greats along with the likes of Qvale and Selvig in just the past few years. Damion Lillard (possible the best BSC player ever outside of Micheal Ray) couldn't seem to win at Dahlberg. I'll cherish watching some of those big conference championship wins much more than the loud Zoo that watched teams score 60 points a game under Monty and took second a few times.

This up and coming greatest basketball coach and his deepest and most talented roster ever are going to have to produce similar results as we've seen in the not too distant past. If they do, Griz fans will show up and cheer loud and the town will have a buzz like it always has when they win.

But maybe not like the "Glory Year"s Citay can't seem to give up when Monty ball got us a few seconds....

Mousegriz said:
citay said:
To bring real passion back to Montana basketball. I mean, if it weren't for women's softball, or a new facility at Idaho, or any number of my asinine posts, this forum would be as dead as Bannack, Montana at four in the morning. Meantime, over on the football board, if I'd started a post asking who would be the most improved player or top newcomer next year, they'd be up to five pages right now, and still typing. Over here? Eleven tepid responses.

Here we are, in my opinion, with one of the top up-and-coming coaches in all of college basketball, our very own Travis DeCuire, a guy who treats Montana both in recruiting and scheduling like we were Cal or Washington State. We enter next season with possibly the deepest most talented roster in the history of the basketball program at Montana, one that can compete in size and quickness with any program in the country. (Yes, we've certainly had better individual players, but never an entire roster with this much potential.) Many of us await the new schedule with the eagerness of a kid opening presents for the first time Christmas morning, knowing that one gift is UCLA.

Ho-hum.

So what will it take to stir some excitement on this board, to return Montana basketball to its former glory?

Not a conference championship. We've done that.
Not an NCAA appearance. We've had four the past ten years, with two blowouts, but also one victory, and one very close game. So: Done that. Hardly moved the needle.

Here's the answer.

A Sweet 16 appearance. A low-seed Cinderella underdog actually knocking off a major program or two, while garnering all the attention that goes with that kind of run at the Big Dance. The publicity would be unprecedented at Montana, far more than a championship at the FCB or BCF or whatever level division 1-aa is now called--enough that even some over on the football board would take notice.

Possible?

I believe it is.

But back to Tristin Achenbach. Or Idaho's wood palace. Sheesh.

Kind of weird topic and seems the same question that Citay asks about 5 times a year here. It's July 6th and there's never been passion about Griz basketball on July 6th! Jud Heathcoate was golfing in July! John Calipari probably is too! I was in school 1978 - 1982 sort of in the middle of "The Good Old Days". Crowds filled Adams Center during the season for games but Griz basketball was a whisper in July. Those "passion" filled years were a different day. And really "Glory" and "Passion" to you just seem to relate to bigger crowds that seemed a little crazier back then.

So much less competition for the athletic-interest and entertainment dollar then. "Traditional" fans are aging. Younger generation much more participatory and not necessarily within the "traditional" sports. They play lacrosse, soccer, hockey, rugby, snowboard, ski, raft, kayak, SUP, curl, fish, surf...and on.

Griz bball has enjoyed steady crowds and good success over the past 10+ years....about the same success if not more than the prior 25. "The Zoo" doesn't crowd the entry and await the doors opening to race to their seats like they did in 1978. But the Griz faithful watched a couple great wins in the conference tourney championship games in Dahlberg just a few years ago. Never happened back when things were so "passionate". We watched Will Cherry and Kareem Jamar, two of the all-time greats along with the likes of Qvale and Selvig in just the past few years. Damion Lillard (possible the best BSC player ever outside of Micheal Ray) couldn't seem to win at Dahlberg. I'll cherish watching some of those big conference championship wins much more than the loud Zoo that watched teams score 60 points a game under Monty and took second a few times.

This up and coming greatest basketball coach and his deepest and most talented roster ever are going to have to produce similar results as we've seen in the not too distant past. If they do, Griz fans will show up and cheer loud and the town will have a buzz like it always has when they win.

But maybe not like the "Glory Year"s Citay can't seem to give up when Monty ball got us a few seconds....

Thats true, i'm a younger person and i've picked up Curling and haven't been back to a basketball game since!

Posted last week on this board:

According to the folks at the Field House, this is the the practice/workout schedule for the rest of this week (I assume the freshmen are there too):

WEDNESDAY, June 28
Men 3:00 - 5:00 Arena (rest of the week is in the West Auxiliary Gym due to maintenance of the Arena floor)

THURSDAY, June 29
Women 8:45 - 9:45 West Auxiliary Gym
Men 9:45 - 12:45 West Auxiliary Gym

FRIDAY, June 30
Men 9:00 - 12:00 West Auxiliary Gym

SATURDAY, July 1
Men 9:00 - 11:00 West Auxiliary Gym

MONDAY, July 3
Men 9:00 - 10:00

Hmmm. That's five practice sessions up through last Monday. That's 11 hours of workouts. Knock out July 4, when I imagine the team was shooting off fireworks. So let's add Wednesday, Thursday and Friday to this schedule, as days the team probably worked out. And, yes, it's possible these workouts were not open to the public.

Still, if this were the football team, we'd have had multiple reports from twenty different spies, detailing every aspect of the practice, the injured players, the standout players, the up-and-coming players, the ex-players standing on the sidelines, the style of the uniforms, the position of the moon in Jupiter, and speculation ad nauseam about Bobby Hauck.

Basketball? Hey! See ya in December!

In no particular order:

Sell beer

Provide some human interest stories in the young players - rather that the obligatory end of career
article on at best one Griz or Lady Griz player as they are seniors (and prior to the last game)

Bring me up to speed on the new recruits with something other than points per game in high school - tell me about Anderson and Stiles, tell me about how we happened to recruit a player from Sarajevo - come on, SID, if you want me to be interested in hoops, help me out a bit

We get to know these kids so well that they seem like family - how about some updates on their careers and lives as they move on - we only hear about them if they do well in European pro ball

Is it too much to ask to have some conference game scores displayed somewhere in the Field House to update me as I sit in the stands?

Basketball is a social experience - I would like to meet and greet the people around me and have the opportunity to chat with them before the game, at half-time, or post game. I can't because of the decibel level from the pep band. The band is a side light for me and they usually distract from my game experience. This is true during the pre-game, during time-outs, but particularly when the game is over - I want to discuss it with the people around me but I can't because that is the time for the kids in the band to do a jam session at full volume - sheesh!

Could I go somewhere at half-time and after the game to pick up one of those stat sheets that are such a key part of the radio shows but which we game attendees are frozen out of? The cost would be very nearly zero per person who would come by the desk to grab one.

Could some banners or signs be posted around campus on game day to clue the students in?

I know, I know this is picky but I watch the older fans who have come to games all of their lives who have to stop coming at about age 70 because they can't handle the slippery icy unlevel footing as they go from the parking lot to the field house - it is unfortunate that we can't figure out how to get them to come for a few more years.

Why not invite everyone to the Sky Box for pregame dinner? I spend a lot of money on GSA and tickets and seem to never get invited yet when I go up there the security people say that I am on the list? What's with that?

As far as I am concerned, eliminate the half-time "shows" because they have nothing to do with why I am there - I would rather use that quiet time to chat with the season ticket holders around me.

Could the public address announcers make this more of a social event by asking everyone to introduce themselves to the folks around them - I could sit for 10 years next to someone 15 feet away and never meet them - again thanks to the pep band.

Popcorn costs virtually nothing to make - give it away in hopes that folks will buy beverages.

I know that everyone sees this differently.

Etc.

616s6e said:
In no particular order:

Sell beer

Provide some human interest stories in the young players - rather that the obligatory end of career
article on at best one Griz or Lady Griz player as they are seniors (and prior to the last game)

Bring me up to speed on the new recruits with something other than points per game in high school - tell me about Anderson and Stiles, tell me about how we happened to recruit a player from Sarajevo - come on, SID, if you want me to be interested in hoops, help me out a bit

We get to know these kids so well that they seem like family - how about some updates on their careers and lives as they move on - we only hear about them if they do well in European pro ball

Is it too much to ask to have some conference game scores displayed somewhere in the Field House to update me as I sit in the stands?

Basketball is a social experience - I would like to meet and greet the people around me and have the opportunity to chat with them before the game, at half-time, or post game. I can't because of the decibel level from the pep band. The band is a side light for me and they usually distract from my game experience. This is true during the pre-game, during time-outs, but particularly when the game is over - I want to discuss it with the people around me but I can't because that is the time for the kids in the band to do a jam session at full volume - sheesh!

Could I go somewhere at half-time and after the game to pick up one of those stat sheets that are such a key part of the radio shows but which we game attendees are frozen out of? The cost would be very nearly zero per person who would come by the desk to grab one.

Could some banners or signs be posted around campus on game day to clue the students in?

I know, I know this is picky but I watch the older fans who have come to games all of their lives who have to stop coming at about age 70 because they can't handle the slippery icy unlevel footing as they go from the parking lot to the field house - it is unfortunate that we can't figure out how to get them to come for a few more years.

Why not invite everyone to the Sky Box for pregame dinner? I spend a lot of money on GSA and tickets and seem to never get invited yet when I go up there the security people say that I am on the list? What's with that?

As far as I am concerned, eliminate the half-time "shows" because they have nothing to do with why I am there - I would rather use that quiet time to chat with the season ticket holders around me.

Could the public address announcers make this more of a social event by asking everyone to introduce themselves to the folks around them - I could sit for 10 years next to someone 15 feet away and never meet them - again thanks to the pep band.

Popcorn costs virtually nothing to make - give it away in hopes that folks will buy beverages.

I know that everyone sees this differently.

Etc.

Party! Party! Party! Party! PARTY!!!

The Missoula area needs to step up. 80K people in the area should result in more people in the stands that the U gets and get the students back at the Adams Center. Not that the school controls the schedule but why can't games be played on Friday/Saturday? That would allow people to travel to Missoula for a 7 pm Friday night game and stay the night for the Saturday game? Do college kids really need a night off...they are in the best shape of their lives. Now certain away games may make this difficult to pull off but having a few games this way would help.

putter said:
The Missoula area needs to step up. 80K people in the area should result in more people in the stands that the U gets and get the students back at the Adams Center. Not that the school controls the schedule but why can't games be played on Friday/Saturday? That would allow people to travel to Missoula for a 7 pm Friday night game and stay the night for the Saturday game? Do college kids really need a night off...they are in the best shape of their lives. Now certain away games may make this difficult to pull off but having a few games this way would help.

They did try the friday/saturday game deal a while back and, if I recall correctly, it was a scheduling nightmare to try and get from city to city in one night after playing a game on a friday evening.

PeauxRouge said:
putter said:

They did try the friday/saturday game deal a while back and, if I recall correctly, it was a scheduling nightmare to try and get from city to city in one night after playing a game on a friday evening.

Did not know they tried that before. May make sense for a weekend or two to try and get more people to travel to Missoula for games.

putter said:
PeauxRouge said:
putter said:

Did not know they tried that before. May make sense for a weekend or two to try and get more people to travel to Missoula for games.

I'm pretty sure it was only for one season. I agree, though, for a travel package, it would be great for the fans.

Back