• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Realignment: Here we go again

CDAGRIZ said:
Copper Griz said:
Your post is really hard to argue with CDA. I don’t think you are being tongue in cheek here. It doesn’t make sense to me either. Moving up seems like the right thing to do from a competitive standpoint, but as I previously stated the economics of the equation concern me.

Not being tongue-in-cheek. It would make much more sense.

“Johnson, there are three divisions of NCAA sports other than football. What do we call them?”

“Well, I think Division I, II, and III make the most sense.”

“OK, that sounds good. What about football? There are four divisions.”

“Here’s what we’re gonna do, and hear me out: Two Division Ones. One will be the upper division and the other will be the lower division, but they are still both Division I. The other divisions will be II and III.”

“You’re a goddamned genius, Johnson! I’m recommending you for a promotion right now.”

Exactly and I am glad to hear someone is proud of their Johnson.

CDAGRIZ said:
Copper Griz said:
Your post is really hard to argue with CDA. I don’t think you are being tongue in cheek here. It doesn’t make sense to me either. Moving up seems like the right thing to do from a competitive standpoint, but as I previously stated the economics of the equation concern me.

“Johnson, there are three divisions of NCAA sports other than football. What do we call them?”

“Here’s what we’re gonna do, and hear me out: Two Division Ones. One will be the upper division and the other will be the lower division, but they are still both Division I. The other divisions will be II and III.”

“You’re a goddamned genius, Johnson! I’m recommending you for a promotion right now.”

Why are baseball’s minors AAA, AA, and A instead of A, B, and C? Mind you, I could reference when England’s pro divisions were 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, but are now the Premiership, the Championship, League One, and League Two. Life is sometimes quite rich (and it’s too bad nomenclaturally is not a word).

By the way, the correct answer to all this is (1) it would probably be financially beneficial, marginally, for Montana to go FBS, and (2) it would probably NOT be financially beneficial for the conference considering Montana to invite Montana. There’s a marginally better chance in trying to raise the whole Big Sky (which has a couple markets that might interest broadcast accountants), but the programs in those markets need to be way more up than they are, and other stuff has to fall into line.

BTW, given a continued ban on California public institutions doing business with Texas, I tend to not believe that San Diego State will end up in the Big 12. It’s not impossible, but it’s not the way to bet.

Pounder said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Why are baseball’s minors AAA, AA, and A instead of A, B, and C? Mind you, I could reference when England’s pro divisions were 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, but are now the Premiership, the Championship, League One, and League Two. Life is sometimes quite rich (and it’s too bad nomenclaturally is not a word).

By the way, the correct answer to all this is (1) it would probably be financially beneficial, marginally, for Montana to go FBS, and (2) it would probably NOT be financially beneficial for the conference considering Montana to invite Montana. There’s a marginally better chance in trying to raise the whole Big Sky (which has a couple markets that might interest broadcast accountants), but the programs in those markets need to be way more up than they are, and other stuff has to fall into line.

BTW, given a continued ban on California public institutions doing business with Texas, I tend to not believe that San Diego State will end up in the Big 12. It’s not impossible, but it’s not the way to bet.

Pounder, I think it’s because AAA is the highest in the minors, followed by AA, and followed by A. You know, so people understand what level of ball they’re watching? Also, I didn’t know about a trade embargo between Texas and California, but it wouldn’t surprise me as another useless and unenforceable policy meant to appease the literal bluehairs.

Pounder said:

Please elaborate on why it would not be beneficial for the conference to invite Montana. Love to hear the logic on that one.

Oh, and the “no business in Texas” thing is bull.

9/4/21: Stanford played K-State in Arlington
9/11/21: Cal played TCU in Dallas

That’s just two recent examples in a 3-minute Google search.

The 2022 NCAA South Regional is in San Antonio. Is the PAC 12 going to decline the tourney invite if their team gets put into the south region? I’m betting “not”. The “ban” has no teeth, and schools are ignoring it, for the most part.

AZGrizFan said:
Pounder said:

Please elaborate on why it would not be beneficial for the conference to invite Montana. Love to hear the logic on that one.

Oh, and the “no business in Texas” thing is bull.

9/4/21: Stanford played K-State in Arlington
9/11/21: Cal played TCU in Dallas

That’s just two recent examples in a 3-minute Google search.

The 2022 NCAA South Regional is in San Antonio. Is the PAC 12 going to decline the tourney invite if their team gets put into the south region? I’m betting “not”. The “ban” has no teeth, and schools are ignoring it, for the most part.

This can’t be true. I saw on cable news that CA policies are affecting everyone and will soon be on the doorstep of middle America. Just not where I am, because I had no idea it was even a thing.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:
I agree with what you’re saying CDA, my problem is that he’s over exaggerating. He says nobody cares about FCS, that’s not true, there’s lots of people that care. All of us care. If we didn’t, none of us would be willing to come back to eGriz day after day. MSU fans care, NDSU fans care, SDSU fans care, etc. we care because we love our team regardless of what division we’re in. We’ve seen this place after losses and after wins. We behave the way we do because we care. Sure, people in California might not give a shit about the FCS, but people in MT care a whole lot about the Griz and the FCS. That’s the part of his statement I have a problem with.

:thumb: I care too. More than any other sport. I grew up going to GU hoops games well before they had national success/recognition because it was the closest DI program to us and my dad would take me after he got off work. A few years ago, my wife asked me if I cared more UM football or GU bball. I said, “Well, I watch GU games in a recliner and I log about 10,000 steps watching a UM game from pacing around and yelling at the TV, so you tell me.”

There are probably more people in California that care about FCS FB than there are in Montana, based on numbers alone. My neighbor is a huge gambler and always asks me what plays to make on FCS games. He made a mint on the NC game after I told him the Cats had a true frosh QB, a departing DC, and were only +7.5. He cares. So there are at least two. ;)

Montanans and degenerates.

Now THAT’S how you build a lasting fan base.

Griz til I die said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I mean, as much as I like that we can say we’re technically DI, Spanks isn’t really wrong. I’ve never really understood why it’s not just DI through DIV with FCS being DII. If you aren’t playing in the top division, it seems strange to still call it DI. It’s literally a level below. We can still be DI for the other sports, but they should just call the FCS what almost everybody already calls it.
I agree with what you’re saying CDA, my problem is that he’s over exaggerating. He says nobody cares about FCS, that’s not true, there’s lots of people that care. All of us care. If we didn’t, none of us would be willing to come back to eGriz day after day. MSU fans care, NDSU fans care, SDSU fans care, etc. we care because we love our team regardless of what division we’re in. We’ve seen this place after losses and after wins. We behave the way we do because we care. Sure, people in California might not give a shit about the FCS, but people in MT care a whole lot about the Griz and the FCS. That’s the part of his statement I have a problem with.

Unlike you, I’m interested in our football team being a member of a FBS conference whereby we will play quality conference opponents on a regular basis. Schools like Wyoming, Utah State as opposed to Northern Colorado, Portland State. People like you dress up in your Griz clothes and celebrate when we destroy our opponents with no interest in the quality of the teams. Did you attend UM or are you only a critic of me whose UM family dates to the 30’s?

Spanky2 said:
Griz til I die said:

Unlike you, I’m interested in our football team being a member of a FBS conference whereby we will play quality conference opponents on a regular basis. Schools like Wyoming, Utah State as opposed to Northern Colorado, Portland State. People like you dress up in your Griz clothes and celebrate when we destroy our opponents with no interest in the quality of the teams. Did you attend UM or are you only a critic of me whose UM family dates to the 30’s?
You apparently have never paid attention to my eGriz signature have you? Got my bachelors and masters both from UM and damn proud of it!

My problem with the FBS is not the regular season, it’s the postseason. I don’t like bowl games, I never will like bowl games and there needs to be a G5 playoff before I’m ok with them moving up.

Griz til I die said:
My problem with the FBS is not the regular season, it’s the postseason. I don’t like bowl games, I never will like bowl games and there needs to be a G5 playoff before I’m ok with them moving up.
OK got it. You don't care about the quality of the regular season games.

EverettGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
:thumb: I care too. More than any other sport. I grew up going to GU hoops games well before they had national success/recognition because it was the closest DI program to us and my dad would take me after he got off work. A few years ago, my wife asked me if I cared more UM football or GU bball. I said, “Well, I watch GU games in a recliner and I log about 10,000 steps watching a UM game from pacing around and yelling at the TV, so you tell me.”

There are probably more people in California that care about FCS FB than there are in Montana, based on numbers alone. My neighbor is a huge gambler and always asks me what plays to make on FCS games. He made a mint on the NC game after I told him the Cats had a true frosh QB, a departing DC, and were only +7.5. He cares. So there are at least two. ;)

Montanans and degenerates.

Now THAT’S how you build a lasting fan base.

Exactly! He’s fully on board as of this season. His boy is the same age as my oldest daughter, and he’s just tearing it up in flag as a returner/DB. Thinking of sending some tape to the staff in a few years. He’s gonna be undersized because his mom is maybe 4’10”, but if he lifts, I bet he’ll be about 5’9” 170 by the time he pulls on a maroon jersey.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:
I literally never said that. Come on Kem. I’ve acknowledged several times in this thread that I would much prefer the regular season in the FBS.

Griz til I die said:
kemajic said:
I literally never said that. Come on Kem. I’ve acknowledged several times in this thread that I would much prefer the regular season in the FBS.
OK, I'm seeing your "problem with the FBS is not the regular season"; but just now seeing the "much prefer the regular season in the FBS part." A difference.

Griz til I die said:
Spanky2 said:
You apparently have never paid attention to my eGriz signature have you? Got my bachelors and masters both from UM and damn proud of it!

If we are selected for a bowl game, you can stay home. Problem solved.

Griz til I die said:
Spanky2 said:

have you ever been to a bowl game? ANY bowl game?

AZGrizFan said:
Griz til I die said:

I have not, but I can tell you that I do not enjoy watching them on tv. I'm sure they're better in person just like everything is, but I still do not like the idea of watching the Griz play in a meaningless bowl game. That's just my opinion. Obviously there's people on here that like bowl games, and that's fine, I don't think any differently of those people. I just like the idea of being able to compete for a little more than a bowl game, regardless of what people say about the FCS being washed out. Like I've said, let's get a playoff system at the G5 level and I will have absolutely no problem with moving up. That's my opinion.

Spanky2 said:
Griz til I die said:

Ok if we make the national championship next season, you can stay home. Problem solved! The FCS is washed out and you shouldn't waste your time supporting us in the playoffs next year. Two can play this game Spanky!

Griz til I die said:
Spanky2 said:
Ok if we make the national championship next season, you can stay home. Problem solved! The FCS is washed out and you shouldn't waste your time supporting us in the playoffs next year. Two can play this game Spanky!
I always support the Griz, even when they play the Dixie States. One day, Wyoming, Utah State, maybe BYU will play in our stadium and you will forget all about the FCS and the playoffs.

I have said this all along. There is NO WAY that UM has spent the money it has to build the Champions Center to stay at the FCS level. Really why do that? You have to try and position yourself as best you can. I think that’s what’s been going on here. Plus people that are in close enough to the program aren’t going to spill there information. That would just jeopardize they place.
We have watched Georgia Southern, App State and a few others make the move. They had more opportunity for conferences. They jumped to position themselves for a better conference.

When the WAC invited UM a few years ago we decided to hold off to try and position ourselves better. We saw how fragile the WAC football wise and it folded for Football until recently. UM took that vision and has built the Champions Center etc to make itself more attractive. Maybe the MWC will come calling? Maybe not.

However, this seems to be the point where UM makes a determination on its football programs future.

I will leave off with this again. Why spend the money it has without having a vision? To try and compete with UNC, Dixie State, PSU. I don’t think so.

Griz til I die said:
AZGrizFan said:
I have not, but I can tell you that I do not enjoy watching them on tv. I'm sure they're better in person just like everything is, but I still do not like the idea of watching the Griz play in a meaningless bowl game. That's just my opinion. Obviously there's people on here that like bowl games, and that's fine, I don't think any differently of those people. I just like the idea of being able to compete for a little more than a bowl game, regardless of what people say about the FCS being washed out. Like I've said, let's get a playoff system at the G5 level and I will have absolutely no problem with moving up. That's my opinion.

OK, fair enough. I've been to several bowl games and always had an absolute blast.

Next question: Do you watch the other FCS playoff games that don't include the Griz? Like, did you watch the Florida A&M/SELA game? Or the Sacred Heart/Holy Cross game? How about the Davidson/Kennesaw St. game?

Back