• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Conference Realignment: Here we go again

Copper Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Magically, other schools move up and figure out how to afford it and they never come back down….except for Idaho. Literally ONE case, and yet all the chicken littles think THAT’S how we’ll end up.

How many move ups out of a state with roughly 1 million people? Idaho? Close and they had two teams move up. The one in Boise made sense based on their metro area. The other Idaho team you referenced is likely a better comparison. Not chicken little. Just reasonable about the process and this is a tough issue. Fans want to blindly push forward expecting a successful landing. Hopefully it does. Education should be the primary function of the University and right now things aren’t going so great. If the football team, moving up and winning help increase enrollment and propel the U of M forward, then I am all for it. Just not sold that is the case right now.

Chicken shit

Moving up would literally help us in every single way. Staying put and playing with turds is just going to hurt UM.. the only relevant teams in the fcs are NDSU, SDSU, UM, MSU, and EWU. ... What happens when NDSU and SDSU move up? The brawl of the wild will basically be the Championship game. Sounds boring af. I'd rather play Fresno St or Boise in a bowl game than watch us play vs schools with 2000 fans.

Griz Addict said:
Moving up would literally help us in every single way. Staying put and playing with turds is just going to hurt UM.. the only relevant teams in the fcs are NDSU, SDSU, UM, MSU, and EWU. ... What happens when NDSU and SDSU move up? The brawl of the wild will basically be the Championship game. Sounds boring af. I'd rather play Fresno St or Boise in a bowl game than watch us play vs schools with 2000 fans.

It is already hurting UM as many people regard us as a Division 2 school.

Griz Addict said:

This post by PDX says it all. This is Wyoming’s future HOME OOC scheduled games…
This list includes Illinois, BYU, Texas Tech, Texas, App State, Arizona State, Utah, Colorado, Cal, Arizona as a starting point.

For every person who says “I won’t drive to Missoula to see a Griz team that isn’t 50% Montana boys” (which is another lame argument made by many) there’s someone like me, who’d buy season tickets at TWICE the price and fly home six times a year to see games like THOSE. But I’m not flying home for Dixie State, UNC, SUU, CP, or any of the many crappy OOC games we start with, etc. I’ll come home for EWU, MSU, Weber Sac & Idaho (only because as a Vandal alum I hate them with a passion).

kemajic said:
Cowboys84 said:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison-media-zone/mens-sports/mcfeely-blog-missouri-valley-football-conference-appears-ready-to-add-murray-state&ved=2ahUKEwiRuKevqLT1AhXcDzQIHTyQC2cQFnoECA0QAQ&usg=AOvVaw2OMcbK7W6lmVdy1EFGQdBP

Murray state applied for admission first and than they got the invite ... Guess it's possible.
All sports but football. "On Friday, the school announced it was leaving the Ohio Valley Conference for the Missouri Valley Conference in all sports besides football. The Missouri Valley and the Missouri Valley Football conferences are separate entities."
Yes, it does say that. But the article title explicitly says "Missouri Valley Football Conference" and the text also says "football coach Dean Hood was quoted as saying the school was actively involved in the membership process with the MVFC." So they've moved all other sports to the MVC right now and are "actively" going after membership for football. Such an addition would put the MVFC closer to the mess we have in the Big Sky.

Spanky2 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
So nobody knows how much it would cost, just that it’s impossible? Does that sum it up?

Yes, and bowl games are bad.

Very bad. Buncha no-talent ass clowns parading around in shitty bowls in shithole towns in backwater counties…

Spanky2 said:
Griz Addict said:

Spanky just stop talking. You’re embarrassing yourself!

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:
Yes, and bowl games are bad.

Very bad. Buncha no-talent ass clowns parading around in shitty bowls in shithole towns in backwater counties…

Like I’ve said, it costs too much, not enough bathrooms, barkeeps would lose biz, nowhere to put it, we’ve asked everybody and nobody wants us, something about e-tickets, wear the opposing team’s shirt and you’ll never buy a beer, run to the M and Bobby’s already there, concession lines, and it costs too much. Now, Alexa, play Kid Rock American Badass.

Griz til I die said:
Spanky2 said:

I mean, as much as I like that we can say we’re technically DI, Spanks isn’t really wrong. I’ve never really understood why it’s not just DI through DIV with FCS being DII. If you aren’t playing in the top division, it seems strange to still call it DI. It’s literally a level below. We can still be DI for the other sports, but they should just call the FCS what almost everybody already calls it.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:
I mean, as much as I like that we can say we’re technically DI, Spanks isn’t really wrong. I’ve never really understood why it’s not just DI through DIV with FCS being DII. If you aren’t playing in the top division, it seems strange to still call it DI. It’s literally a level below. We can still be DI for the other sports, but they should just call the FCS what almost everybody already calls it.
Well, it is the NCAA after all.

The problem is all those other pesky sports. You know, like basketball. So all the FCS programs would be D-II in football, but D-I in everything else. Then all those current D-II football programs would become D-III. Would their other sports also drop to D-III, or would they stay at D-II? How about the current D-III? Messy. They should have never gone to the "FCS" crap. At least calling it "1AA" made an attempt to show it was a variety of Division I, using an approach that most people are used to from high school sports.

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:

So basically the FCS playoffs....

:lol: :lol: With slightly better attendance and parting gifts.

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Well, it is the NCAA after all.

The problem is all those other pesky sports. You know, like basketball. So all the FCS programs would be D-II in football, but D-I in everything else. Then all those current D-II football programs would become D-III. Would their other sports also drop to D-III, or would they stay at D-II? How about the current D-III? Messy. They should have never gone to the "FCS" crap. At least calling it "1AA" made an attempt to show it was a variety of Division I, using an approach that most people are used to from high school sports.

No, just keep the same four football divisions that currently exist and call them Divisions I through IV to reflect reality. I don’t see how it would affect other sports.

Griz Addict said:
Copper Griz said:
How many move ups out of a state with roughly 1 million people? Idaho? Close and they had two teams move up. The one in Boise made sense based on their metro area. The other Idaho team you referenced is likely a better comparison. Not chicken little. Just reasonable about the process and this is a tough issue. Fans want to blindly push forward expecting a successful landing. Hopefully it does. Education should be the primary function of the University and right now things aren’t going so great. If the football team, moving up and winning help increase enrollment and propel the U of M forward, then I am all for it. Just not sold that is the case right now.

Chicken shit

What a well thought out rebuttal. Moron

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

Your post is really hard to argue with CDA. I don’t think you are being tongue in cheek here. It doesn’t make sense to me either. Moving up seems like the right thing to do from a competitive standpoint, but as I previously stated the economics of the equation concern me.

CDAGRIZ said:
Griz til I die said:

I agree with what you’re saying CDA, my problem is that he’s over exaggerating. He says nobody cares about FCS, that’s not true, there’s lots of people that care. All of us care. If we didn’t, none of us would be willing to come back to eGriz day after day. MSU fans care, NDSU fans care, SDSU fans care, etc. we care because we love our team regardless of what division we’re in. We’ve seen this place after losses and after wins. We behave the way we do because we care. Sure, people in California might not give a shit about the FCS, but people in MT care a whole lot about the Griz and the FCS. That’s the part of his statement I have a problem with.

Griz til I die said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I agree with what you’re saying CDA, my problem is that he’s over exaggerating. He says nobody cares about FCS, that’s not true, there’s lots of people that care. All of us care. If we didn’t, none of us would be willing to come back to eGriz day after day. MSU fans care, NDSU fans care, SDSU fans care, etc. we care because we love our team regardless of what division we’re in. We’ve seen this place after losses and after wins. We behave the way we do because we care. Sure, people in California might not give a shit about the FCS, but people in MT care a whole lot about the Griz and the FCS. That’s the part of his statement I have a problem with.

:thumb: I care too. More than any other sport. I grew up going to GU hoops games well before they had national success/recognition because it was the closest DI program to us and my dad would take me after he got off work. A few years ago, my wife asked me if I cared more UM football or GU bball. I said, “Well, I watch GU games in a recliner and I log about 10,000 steps watching a UM game from pacing around and yelling at the TV, so you tell me.”

There are probably more people in California that care about FCS FB than there are in Montana, based on numbers alone. My neighbor is a huge gambler and always asks me what plays to make on FCS games. He made a mint on the NC game after I told him the Cats had a true frosh QB, a departing DC, and were only +7.5. He cares. So there are at least two. ;)

Copper Griz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Your post is really hard to argue with CDA. I don’t think you are being tongue in cheek here. It doesn’t make sense to me either. Moving up seems like the right thing to do from a competitive standpoint, but as I previously stated the economics of the equation concern me.

Not being tongue-in-cheek. It would make much more sense.

“Johnson, there are three divisions of NCAA sports other than football. What do we call them?”

“Well, I think Division I, II, and III make the most sense.”

“OK, that sounds good. What about football? There are four divisions.”

“Here’s what we’re gonna do, and hear me out: Two Division Ones. One will be the upper division and the other will be the lower division, but they are still both Division I. The other divisions will be II and III.”

“You’re a goddamned genius, Johnson! I’m recommending you for a promotion right now.”

Back