• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Should the Next Coach be...

PlayerRep

1. The best coach for the UM football program? OR

2. A coach that makes Engstrom feel happy and comfortable?

Are those 2 goals compatible? Do they result in the same person being selected? Are those 2 goals likely not compatible in this situation?

Secondary questions are: whether the supposed squeaky clean desires of Engstrom (and perhaps Haslam) should have significant influence over the decision and/or will unduly limit the number of coaches given strong consideration; whether this will result in a less-qualified coach being selected (or more qualified coaches not being selected); and whether it will be acceptable to Griz Nation to sacrifice wins for the apparent squeaky clean goal of Engstrom?

We all know that the ultimate decision will be made by Haslam/Engstrom, with perhaps a nod from the board of regents and some input from various advisors and influential donors. No one is suggesting that someone else will or should make the final decision. Also, no one questions that it is fine, in fact good, for part of the selection criteria to include looking at how clean the coach has been in the past and how the coach has run his program. So please don't bother with irrelevant comments like that.

If Engstrom even tried stepping foot in my office during this project and I were Haslam...I would remind him of what happened last time Engstrom had any control over the football program...punch him in his dick..and ask him to kindly GTF out of my office!

PlayerRep said:

Are those 2 goals compatible? Do they result in the same person being selected? Are those 2 goals likely not compatible in this situation?

Secondary questions are: whether the supposed squeaky clean desires of Engstrom (and perhaps Haslam) should have significant influence over the decision and/or will unduly limit the number of coaches given strong consideration; whether this will result in a less-qualified coach being selected (or more qualified coaches not being selected); and whether it will be acceptable to Griz Nation to sacrifice wins for the apparent squeaky clean goal of Engstrom?

We all know that the ultimate decision will be made by Haslam/Engstrom, with perhaps a nod from the board of regents and some input from various advisors and influential donors. No one is suggesting that someone else will or should make the final decision. Also, no one questions that it is fine, in fact good, for part of the selection criteria to include looking at how clean the coach has been in the past and how the coach has run his program. So please don't bother with irrelevant comments like that.

Is it safe to assume that you personally want the absolute best football coach available, regardless of any baggage and potential risk to the program.. because if players do start getting in trouble again there will always be loopholes and lawyer tricks to get the arrests nullified, sentences reduced, etc? That is usually how you come off.

poorgriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Is it safe to assume that you personally want the absolute best football coach available, regardless of any baggage and potential risk to the program.. because if players do start getting in trouble again there will always be loopholes and lawyer tricks to get the arrests nullified, sentences reduced, etc? That is usually how you come off.

Way to step on this thread. It was actually a good original post with some good questions.

Does Haslam have the nuts to do his job and hire the best, or is he Engstroms hand puppet? If its the former, he'd have to resign and publicly out Engstrom for meddling, if its the latter, only an announcement of the choice.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
You can tell pLaYaRAPe is getting worried he's gonna have to give back rubs and hand jobs with his mouth to earn his way back into the club when a new coach comes in. Just remember to pay some attention to the balls and everything will be back to normal in a couple years.

Not surprised you're trying to give some tips on this. I'm betting you're quite the expert considering you've spent the last 2 years trying to earn your way into the NDSU Bison club :mrgreen:

BadlandsGrizFan said:
If Engstrom even tried stepping foot in my office during this project and I were Haslam...I would remind him of what happened last time Engstrom had any control over the football program...punch him in his dick..and ask him to kindly GTF out of my office!

Definitely this. Have a bad feeling Engstrom is very involved in the process though. He just doesn't seem like the kind of the guy who is capable of giving a little input but letting Haslam also do his job. Hopefully the finalist list is made up of coaches where even if Engstrom has his pick he can't fuck it up.

There are a few names that have been thrown around here that I think would make good picks. Haslam made a good pick with the Griz BB coach I think, so maybe this will all end up OK.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

The university president does have a say in coaching matters. That's the way it is now, that's the way it's always been.

If Haslam reminds Engstrom of what happened that "last time" the president had control of the football program, then he should probably thank him for the AD job while he's at it.

The best coach for UM and the program will run a clean program and be someone the President as well as all fans and alumni are proud of. Numbers one and two are the same. They are both part of the requirements for the job.

I don't know how they do things over by Clearwater Jct but I have never needed more than a handshake and a bottle of Fireball to get into a Bison tailgate.......... so far

EverettGriz said:
The best coach for UM and the program will run a clean program and be someone the President as well as all fans and alumni are proud of. Numbers one and two are the same. They are both part of the requirements for the job.
Absolutely correct, you can't separate the two. It's an absurd question.

griz4life said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

The university president does have a say in coaching matters. That's the way it is now, that's the way it's always been.

If Haslam reminds Engstrom of what happened that "last time" the president had control of the football program, then he should probably thank him for the AD job while he's at it.

Or fire up his resume. :thumb:

Two rubs you are all missing. One rub is that Haslam will pick a Mormon if he can. Second rub is that Haslam will pick a "clean" head coach and one that he can take to the president without fear of a no.

You smart nuts figure it out. One man that will not be picked is..................?

Haslam selection will have to be approved by RE, plain and simple, Haslam works for RE.

Umista said:
Two rubs you are all missing. One rub is that Haslam will pick a Mormon if he can. Second rub is that Haslam will pick a "clean" head coach and one that he can take to the president without fear of a no.

You smart nuts figure it out. One man that will not be picked is..................?

Are any of the candidates Mormon?

Umista said:

What the hell?
Yes, Haslam MUST select someone who won't frighten the Univ. President. Haslam will make the best call he can and, as long as it isn't going to be a potential PR nightmare (ie... Colorado Pubelo), the President will give it his blessing.

Though "pick a Mormon" is possible I have no idea why that would matter (good or bad). If the guy can coach here I'm happy with a Catholic, Mormon, or Muslim (especially if we get to watch them bow towards Mecca during games). :ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:
Umista said:

What the hell?
Yes, Haslam MUST select someone who won't frighten the Univ. President. Haslam will make the best call he can and, as long as it isn't going to be a potential PR nightmare (ie... Colorado Pubelo), the President will give it his blessing.

Though "pick a Mormon" is possible I have no idea why that would matter (good or bad). If the guy can coach here I'm happy with a Catholic, Mormon, or Muslim (especially if we get to watch them bow towards Mecca during games). :ugeek:

AFTER Haslam makes his pick, and AFTER the President concurs, it still has to be approved by the Board of Regents. And that my friends, like it or not. is how the game is played in the State of Montana.

maroonandsilver said:
Grizzlies1982 said:
Umista said:

What the hell?

AFTER Haslam makes his pick, and AFTER the President concurs, it still has to be approved by the Board of Regents. And that my friends, like it or not. is how the game is played in the State of Montana.

Agree. Though it would take a pretty outrageous candidate for the BOR to deny it.

Back