• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Should the Next Coach be...

Just a little insight on how the hiring process works
There's a committee (which Haslam is on) and the committee will make the recommendation to Engstrom.
Engstrom decides who is hired. He will meet with the potential coaches as well.
BOR have to approve, but to my knowledge have never disapproved a hire.

Many times in the past has the President decided to go a different way than what the hiring committee recommends. Especially in big higher profile jobs.

And who is this "hiring committee" you speak of? Info to date suggests it is just KH at this juncture. If there is one, who is on it? Thanks.

THE BETCH said:
And who is this "hiring committee" you speak of? Info to date suggests it is just KH at this juncture. If there is one, who is on it? Thanks.

Haslam and Sundberg are apparently making the decision. There is no committee. I assume everyone and is dog is offering up his/her opinion to them.

rennido said:
Just a little insight on how the hiring process works
There's a committee (which Haslam is on) and the committee will make the recommendation to Engstrom.
Engstrom decides who is hired. He will meet with the potential coaches as well.
BOR have to approve, but to my knowledge have never disapproved a hire.

Many times in the past has the President decided to go a different way than what the hiring committee recommends. Especially in big higher profile jobs.

If this is true does anyone really think King Royce will let Bobby back in the door. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I think not given Bobby's previous off the field track record which led to all the problems.

THE BETCH said:

I only have insight to how hires are made thru the UM system. Usually a hiring committee consists of 5-7 people. Usually a person from the foundation, a professor, coaches, facilities sometimes they will throw a student in there. You have to do everything by the book so someone can't come back and say there was unfair hiring practices.

rennido said:
THE BETCH said:

I only have insight to how hires are made thru the UM system. Usually a hiring committee consists of 5-7 people. Usually a person from the foundation, a professor, coaches, facilities sometimes they will throw a student in there. You have to do everything by the book so someone can't come back and say there was unfair hiring practices.

That is not the process being used this time. That was similar to the process used to hire Pflu.

CV Griz Fan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
griz4life said:
So how many arrests are you willing to put with, PlayerRep. Is seven a year too many?

How many aggravated burglary charges and kidnappings and drunken driving arrests are just the appropriate price for success?

You started this thread under the pretense of wanting to know what egriz posters think. But thsee are the same posters you dismiss on a weekly, sometimes daily basis for having never played the game. You've done it so much you've grown tired of typing it and turned it into an acronym.
You're bad news.

Hey, why won't you answer my question? How many losses would you, and Griz Nation, put up with? Are you afraid to answer?

I would evaluate and judge a coach based on what he has done in recent history. From what I've read on egriz, Hauck hasn't had any significant legal/behavior issues with his UNLV players for the 5 years he's been there. Gregorak hasn't had any problems with his linebackers in the years he's been here, to my knowledge.

How many years do you want to go back to find issues? Do you believe that no coach ever learns, changes, grows, improves? Given the increased involvement administrators and academics in evaluating transfers and admissions, I don't see significant risks of bad behavior coming with any of the 4 or so possible head coaching candidates being mentioned. Also note that one of the reasons that it seems like bad behavior is currently down, is because Florio is gone and the Missoulian has stopped over-emphasizing every issue, potential issue, and rumor on the front page.

UM has only had one aggravated burglary incident in how many decades? Did any of those players ever play a down after the school learned they were involved in the incident. None of the active players were involved in the aggravated part, to my knowledge. Several of them weren't even in the house; they were outside. By the way, none of the active players had even started games, or many games, at the time of the incidents. They weren't necessary for UM's success. They weren't star players.

Dui's happen. The fewer the better, but dui's are common in the general population and also happen to students. It's not a huge deal for me, although lots of them are too many.

I am more concerned about truly bad behavior and more significant crimes, not minor stuff. While no one wants arrests to occur, I am more concerned about convictions and whether the underlying incident actually occurred. Allegations often turn out not to be true, or fully true, and often don't result in convictions. Incidents sometimes get overcharged. The Wilson, JJ and Johnson/Kemp matters brought on alot of bad publicity, and alot of charges, but, at the end of the total of all charges and pleas, was a single nolo plea to disorderly conduct. Think about that. A single nolo plea to disorderly conduct. I suppose you could throw in the Wilson biting incident and add another nolo plea. Total fines of a few hundred dollars. All 4 allowed to continuing playing at UM. And people like you still treating these things like they were crimes of the century.

Actually, I played the game--and at a higher collegiate level than virtually any poster on the board. It's obvious that you never played the game. Most of the posters being negative towards me don't understand football, are trolls, are Cats, and I have zero respect for them. My guess is that you are someone who has never accomplished much, and never well. Feel free to tell us what you have accomplished, if anything. I'd be happy to put my record of accomplishments up against you and all of the other negative types anytime.

You are the bad news. You lie about people, make up stuff, and say untrue things about the program. And if I notice, I am not going to let you get away with it. You try to dishonor a strong and wonderful athletic program.

I as well would evalutate a coach on his recent history. Hauck has done a great job down at UNLV with his players in regards to mentoring them. It was a clean program.

You asked, "How many years do you want to go back to find issues? Do you believe that no coach ever learns, changes, grows, improves?" I believe Hauck has met any threshold when looking back to find issues. Certainly a half decade qualifies. And I strongly believe that coaches (anybody for that matter) can and do learn, change, grow and improve. That's life--if you want to be a winner that is. And Hauck is surely a winner.

I would welcome back Hauck in a heartbeat. Bobby Hauck, as we all know, coached the Griz from 2003-09, went 80-17 (.825 winning percentage), won or shared 7 BSC titles, went to the playoffs all 7 years, went to a few national championships, and was 5-2 against bozo. His teams were tough and had confidence, swag if you will.

I would welcome Gregorak as the head coach as well. I've already posted my reasons previously on Gregorak.

Furthermore, some on the board may not want to hear it, but it is true that your reseme (athletically, academically, professionally) is significantly more impressive than anyone's on Egriz, especially the negative types on this board. I am regularly amazed how you will post legitimate questions on the board, or give concise and correct answers, only to be bombarded with pot shots out of nowhere. I guess the saying is true, when you are successful people will undoubtedly take shots at you. However, Egriz needs more posters like you.

I agree with you Intuitive that we need more posters like PR on this Fan Board. He is very entertaining. As far as taking "shots" from other egrizzers, that is more a function of how PR
conducts himself on Egriz. If you are going to "dish it out, you gotta be able to take it" as my mother used to always say. PR's resume is good but he's a little "thin skinned". At the end of the day, everyone has to be able to laugh at themselves. Nobody should take themselves too seriously. Egriz is a FCS Fan Board for Goodness Sake.......

Thanks for the reply, CV. :thumb:

"Thin skinned" could be the correct term sometimes for all posters, but I usually look at it more often as being "competitive"...I'm sure we are all that way, at different levels at times. This is after all a football board. But yes, laughing at ourselves is certainly a healthy behavior. One that I do regularly. :lol:

Back