• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

My First Game at Dahlberg!!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
citay said:
Let it go, PR. If this were football, you'd be tackling the man without the ball.

He's a flash in his own pan.....

Why can't you guys admit that you were wrong, or at least some of your brethren were wrong? Chuck Rhodes played hoops for UM, as I said, and wanted to be on, all along? I admitted that I mixed up the Rhodes "brothers" and that my Rhodes didn't play 2 or 3 years, as I had been told. And, then no one would bet me, despite having huge big mouths.

Why can't you prove we are wrong first? Will be fun to find out how "fringe" Chuck was and get a couple more laughs on that initial post you made. The snippet of an email from Nick Hallisley (who's he...did he watch Chuck Play?) hasn't proven anything.

Sure it does proof what I had said all along. Nick H. is the UM asst director of commications and works with Eric Taber in the UM Sports Information office. The information is from the red book. I have the roster and the stats. Yes, he was a fringe player. And, my main point, i.e. that Rhodes played for UM, and what I wanted to bet on multiple times, is absolutely correct. Your problem is that you were sloppy in reviewing the red book. I will ill the provide the other material when I have time.

PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:
Well, my FIRST GAME at Dahlberg, when it was just the Field House, was the VERY FIRST GAME played there, in December 1953 against the defending National Champion Indiana Hoosiers. As Griz fans, you are all a bunch of rookies!!! :lol:

Figure I'd better jump into this thread, because I, also, was at the first game in the UM Fieldhouse (as I always knew it). I just don't remember. My uncle was a member of the architectural team that designed the structure, so my father took me along to watch the construction process, of which I have vague memories.

It didn't take me long to become a Silvertip fan, though. My two heroes (1953 or 54) were Al Dunham and Rudolph "Zip" Rhodes (or Rhoades). I DO remember them vividly. Since then I've only missed three seasons as a fan (Vietnam) and could bore everyone with the player or players who were my heroes... and I'm pretty certain that was a yearly ritual... even though the teams during the sixties weren't very good.

Rhodes' son went to Harvard law school, worked for our firm, and works in Missoula now. The son is or was good hoops player too.

The "Little Red Book"! Ha! Ha!

I'm even in there. Good Old Chuck (Rhodes).....starred for that '54 -'55 freshman team then vanished from the Book. But Zip...the guy whose "son" PR "knew" littered throughout the book from '53 through ''57.

You were right all along about old Chuck PR! You had the story nailed from the moment the named "Rhodes" (or "Rhoades") surfaced.

I didn't realize the extent of Chuck's fame "playing for UM". Kind of proud to know my career playing for UM was quite possibly more illustrious than the famed Chuck's. Pretty sure he didn't ever pop for 29 against the Cats in Dahlberg like I did!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:
Well, my FIRST GAME at Dahlberg, when it was just the Field House, was the VERY FIRST GAME played there, in December 1953 against the defending National Champion Indiana Hoosiers. As Griz fans, you are all a bunch of rookies!!! :lol:

Figure I'd better jump into this thread, because I, also, was at the first game in the UM Fieldhouse (as I always knew it). I just don't remember. My uncle was a member of the architectural team that designed the structure, so my father took me along to watch the construction process, of which I have vague memories.

It didn't take me long to become a Silvertip fan, though. My two heroes (1953 or 54) were Al Dunham and Rudolph "Zip" Rhodes (or Rhoades). I DO remember them vividly. Since then I've only missed three seasons as a fan (Vietnam) and could bore everyone with the player or players who were my heroes... and I'm pretty certain that was a yearly ritual... even though the teams during the sixties weren't very good.

Rhodes' son went to Harvard law school, worked for our firm, and works in Missoula now. The son is or was good hoops player too.

I'm even in there. Good Old Chuck (Rhodes).....starred for that '54 -'55 freshman team then vanished from the Book. But Zip...the guy whose "son" PR "knew" littered throughout the book from '53 through ''57.

You were right all along about old Chuck PR! You had the story nailed from the moment the named "Rhodes" (or "Rhoades") surfaced.

I didn't realize the extent of Chuck's fame "playing for UM". Kind of proud to know my career playing for UM was quite possibly more illustrious than the famed Chuck's. Pretty sure he didn't ever pop for 29 against the Cats in Dahlberg like I did!

So, I take it you are finally admitting that you were wrong, and that had you taken my bet, i.e. that Chuck Rhodes played for the Griz, you would have lost the bet?

And, I assume you admit now, that contrary to what you said, Chuck Rhodes lettered for the Griz?
It's right in the Red Book.

Here are 3 prior posts when I tried to bet you.

1. "Who wants to bet me $500 that John Rhodes' dad played hoops for the Griz? I say he did. Let's see one or more of you bigmouths put up or shut up on this. I'm waiting for the bet."

2."Anyone still want to bet me that John's dad played for the Griz in the mid=50's ?"

3. "Want to make a nice bet on whether Rhodes played for the Griz?"

I suppose you are going to want to argue now that your playing frosh for the Griz was playing for the Griz, but Rhodes' playing frosh for the Griz was not playing for the Griz? Scoring 29 in any game is good. Was that the pinnacle of your career?

Mouse, you got blown out of the water on this. You've done a good job of showing that you're a jerk, tho.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:

So, I take it you are finally admitting that you were wrong, and that had you taken my bet, i.e. that Chuck Rhodes played for the Griz, you would have lost the bet?

And, I assume you admit now, that contrary to what you said, Chuck Rhodes lettered for the Griz?

1. "Who wants to bet me $500 that John Rhodes' dad played hoops for the Griz? I say he did. Let's see one or more of you bigmouths put up or shut up on this. I'm waiting for the bet."

2."Anyone still want to bet me that John's dad played for the Griz in the mid=50's ?"

I suppose you are going to want to argue now that your playing frosh for the Griz was playing for the Griz, but Rhodes' playing frosh for the Griz was not playing for the Griz? Scoring 29 in any game is good. Was that the pinnacle of your career?

Mouse, you got blown out of the water on this. You've done a good job of showing that you're a jerk, tho.

Freshman basketball was the "Cubs" and not the "Griz". I didn't play for the Griz and haven't ever thought or told anyone I did. Did have fun playing a little formal hoops after high school on the UM Freshman team.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:

Freshman Cubs ain't "the Griz". Freshman ballers don't "letter for the Griz"!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Freshman Cubs ain't "the Griz". Freshman ballers don't "letter for the Griz"!

I used the term Univ of MT at times and Griz at times. Are you going to argue that the frosh were not part of the Univ of Montana? The frosh team certainly was part of the Univ of MT, and that's why it's listed in the Red Book. See below.

Just admit that you were wrong when you said Chuck Rhodes didn't play basketball for UM. He did. The athletic department says he did. The Red Book says he did.

"Here is the bet. Did my friend John Rhodes' dad, Chuck Rhodes from Indiana, play basketball for the Univ of Montana in Missoula (or whatever UM was called then) in the 1950's? I still think he did. I just can't imagine my friend (or his dad) made this up.

The bet would be $500. Or, if that is too much, then $100.

Let me, and the board, know. I'm tired of you being a big mouth on this one. Let's just settle now (or soon), one way or the other. I assume you're not going to slink off and hide."

I'm putting this one to rest! PR blow harded his initial post when someone brought up one of the more famous early Dahlberg heroes, Zip Rhoades. He "knows this guy's son", "worked with him", "played with and against him in city league", "works in the same building with him now".

Someone (me!) calls him on his BS and now we're talking about this other Rhodes "playing for the Griz" (more often than "playing for UM"). The "Red Book" reveals that rather than "the Griz" Rhodes played one year for the UM Freshmen "Cubs". Now PR's trying to call me on a bet that was never made...and even in the recent posts indicating he feels he'd have won the bet, he talks about Rhodes "lettering" for "the Griz".

Irony that I played for the "Cubs" for one year as a freshman at UM. I was proud to do so and enjoyed playing some pretty high level post high school hoops in college. We got to preseason condition and practice some with "the Griz". But we weren't "the Griz" and we all knew that. I've never once stated that I played for "the Griz". Our team was what it was.. a bunch of decent HS players who wanted to walk on at UM and play some more after high school. No one was awarded a scholarship and no one was "cut" from that freshman team. I'd assume based on the size of those freshman teams back in the 1950's that that they were also "no cut".

No bet was made. I'd question who "won" it anyway. If anyone got blown out of the water is was PR!

Mousegriz said:
I'm putting this one to rest! PR blow harded his initial post when someone brought up one of the more famous early Dahlberg heroes, Zip Rhoades. He "knows this guy's son", "worked with him", "played with and against him in city league", "works in the same building with him now".

Someone (me!) calls him on his BS and now we're talking about this other Rhodes "playing for the Griz" (more often than "playing for UM"). The "Red Book" reveals that rather than "the Griz" Rhodes played one year for the UM Freshmen "Cubs". Now PR's trying to call me on a bet that was never made...and even in the recent posts indicating he feels he'd have won the bet, he talks about Rhodes "lettering" for "the Griz".

Irony that I played for the "Cubs" for one year as a freshman at UM. I was proud to do so and enjoyed playing some pretty high level post high school hoops in college. We got to preseason condition and practice some with "the Griz". But we weren't "the Griz" and we all knew that. I've never once stated that I played for "the Griz". Our team was what it was.. a bunch of decent HS players who wanted to walk on at UM and play some more after high school. No one was awarded a scholarship and no one was "cut" from that freshman team. I'd assume based on the size of those freshman teams back in the 1950's that that they were also "no cut".

No bet was made. I'd question who "won" it anyway. If anyone got blown out of the water is was PR!

Nope, you got blown out of the water. I admitted my little initial mistakes, but was right on my main point. You can't even admit your big mistake now.

My main point was that Chuck Rhodes played hoops for Univ of MT in the 50's. You said he didn't and you said he didn't letter. He did both, as confirmed by the UM athletic department and the Red Book.

No bet was ever made. Despite your big mouth, and multiple posts and taunts, you didn't have the balls to make a bet to back up your big mouth. I posted the bet info to confirm that I had said that Rhodes played hoops for the Univ of MT in the 50's. He did. He just did. You can't even admit that now. That tells me about the type of person you are. You also proved that you couldn't even read the Red Book. Had you read it carefully the first time, you would't have embarrassed yourself like you then did.

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

Nope, you got blown out of the water. I admitted my little initial mistakes, but was right on my main point. You can't even admit your big mistake now.

My main point was that Chuck Rhodes played hoops for Univ of MT in the 50's. You said he didn't and you said he didn't letter. He did both, as confirmed by the UM athletic department and the Red Book.

No bet was ever made. Despite your big mouth, and multiple posts and taunts, you didn't have the balls to make a bet to back up your big mouth. I posted the bet info to confirm that I had said that Rhodes played hoops for the Univ of MT in the 50's. He did. He just did. You can't even admit that now. That tells me about the type of person you are. You also proved that you couldn't even read the Red Book. Had you read it carefully the first time, you would't have embarrassed yourself like you then did.

It's over PR! It was a "good" "pretty good" or even "very good" battle that we waged for 6 or 7 pages You maybe even learned a little bit about "Griz" basketball in the 19050's...and a pretty famous "Rhoades". Oh and "Cubs" basketball too....and a much less famous "Rhodes" and "Mouse".

Move on and make a fool of yourself in some other thread. You seem pretty good at it!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

It's over PR! It was a "good" "pretty good" or even "very good" battle that we waged for 6 or 7 pages You maybe even learned a little bit about "Griz" basketball in the 19050's...and a pretty famous "Rhoades". Oh and "Cubs" basketball too....and a much less famous "Rhodes" and "Mouse".

Move on and make a fool of yourself in some other thread. You seem pretty good at it!

I have been ready to move on for a bit, but each time you say you are done, you make another post. I actually didn't learn much of anything I didn't already know, other than little things. I know what freshman sports are. I played 2 frosh sports in college, back when frosh were not allowed to play varsity at any D-I school. Having only played frosh lacrosse at Dartmouth, I still consider myself to have played lacrosse at Dartmouth. I am certainly on the Dartmouth lacrosse fundraising list, and get invited to the alumni game every year. I assume that UM varsity hoops players also played for the Cubs. Is that not true?

And, although you can't seem to admit it, I was right that John Rhodes' dad, Chuck, played hoops for UM in the 50s. You were the fool in this thread.

For those who didn't read "the Red Book" one final note on this....Chuck Rhodes scored 7 points in his entire freshman year (career!) at UM. 1 FG and 5 FT's 3 fouls. He is listed as getting a "freshman award".....something like a "letter".....but not!

Rudolph Rhoades scored 184 as a frosh, 345 as a soph and 316 as a senior.....didn't see scoring stats for his junior year. Rhodes averaged about 2 times per game more on the varsity than what Chuck scored in his entire career "playing for UM".

Wonder how many times he told his son the story about "THE BASKET" he made while "playing for UM"!

grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:

I feel sort of guilty for being the one who started this entire process, by posting that my first two Griz heroes were Al Dunham and Rudolph "Zip" Rhoades. As you can see, I misspelled his last name, caught myself, and typed in his name correctly. BUT, I was too lazy to check the spelling to get it right. Zip (along with several other Griz alums) was honored at halftime ceremonies several years ago. He has now passed on... but I'll always live with the images of watching him play. Attached is a link to a nice profile (with photos) from the Kalispell Daily Interlake. A good read. Hope we can all move on from this craziness.

https://flatheadgenweb.weebly.com/rudolph-zip-rhoades.html

Mousegriz said:
For those who didn't read "the Red Book" one final note on this....Chuck Rhodes scored 7 points in his entire freshman year (career!) at UM. 1 FG and 5 FT's 3 fouls. He is listed as getting a "freshman award".....something like a "letter".....but not!

Rudolph Rhoades scored 184 as a frosh, 345 as a soph and 316 as a senior.....didn't see scoring stats for his junior year. Rhodes averaged about 2 times per game more on the varsity than what Chuck scored in his entire career "playing for UM".

Wonder how many times he told his son the story about "THE BASKET" he made while "playing for UM"!

How many games did you play in the the Griz, i.e. not the frosh team?

How many games did you bench warmer son (your term not mine) start in, in college? And at what level? NAIA?

You are a dick and a loser. That's why you have never made it far in life, and never will.

You just can't admit that you were wrong, and that John Rhodes' dad did play hoops for UM.

I almost feel sorry for you.

grizzlyjournal said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:

I feel sort of guilty for being the one who started this entire process, by posting that my first two Griz heroes were Al Dunham and Rudolph "Zip" Rhoades. As you can see, I misspelled his last name, caught myself, and typed in his name correctly. BUT, I was too lazy to check the spelling to get it right. Zip (along with several other Griz alums) was honored at halftime ceremonies several years ago. He has now passed on... but I'll always live with the images of watching him play. Attached is a link to a nice profile (with photos) from the Kalispell Daily Interlake. A good read. Hope we can all move on from this craziness.

https://flatheadgenweb.weebly.com/rudolph-zip-rhoades.html

Thank you for posting this GJ! Great read :clap:

PlayerRep said:
Mousegriz said:

How many games did you play in the the Griz (Never played "in the the" Griz (nor "on the Griz") as I've said several times in this thread), i.e. not the frosh team?

How many games did you bench warmer son (your term not mine) start in, in college? ("You" bench warmer son?....Only one!) And at what level? NAIA? (Yes!)

You are a dick and a loser. That's why you have never made it far in life, and never will.(Your terms not mine...in fact you're about the only guy that's ever called me either of those terms...especially anonymously. I almost feel sorry for you that you have to resort to this type of name calling! Really? Does making it far in life include such name calling and belittling on a message board about college sports.....if so I'll never make it as far as you in life!)

You just can't admit that you were wrong, and that John Rhodes' dad did play hoops for UM. (I've admitted a few times I was wrong if "playing for UM" was what you always intended....but "lettered for" and "played for the Griz"... not so much)

I almost feel sorry for you. (Don't! I'm perfectly fine in my own little world and proud to have enough respect for people to not call anyone a "dick" or "loser" on a goofy little message board!)

You knew the answers most of the points in this post....but just had to get the "dick" "loser" "won't go far in life" comments out again. So Ivy League of you! Make you feel good when you look in the mirror?

Mouse, you still can't really admit that you were wrong, can you. It's amazing how many times you have brought up the subject, including chasing me to the football board. My life has been much more than the Ivy League. Happy to compare notes any time. I will be at the Dartmouth at Princeton game this weekend. Princeton is ranked higher than Dartmouth in the top 25, and much higher in the Sagarin (I think no. 6, one slot behind Davis). I always think my team can win, but this one looks like a tall order.

Yikes, I am glad I stayed out of this conversation (until now). I'm not saying one word about anything previously argued here, and I don't remember me first game Griz game that I saw, per se (as it was probably some crappy Simon Fraser-type game), but the first game that that's out was when Stanford (and 3? NBA-ers) came to town in 1989, and, to this day, I have NEVER seen anyone make (what seemed like) every practice shot go in like Todd Lichti did. He had THE best shooting stroke I've ever seen. He didn't have the most amazing game (that I recall),per see, but I was in awe by his warm-up/shoot-around shooting, and I grew up watching big-time D1 b-ball.

His 3-pointers barely even touched the bottom of the net. That's how pure his shots were-every one it seemed. I still remember it vividly. He made, like, 15 straight 3-pointers (pure) right in front of us,even as we taunted him. Nothing phased him. The best shooting performance I ever saw in person
during a D1 game was Scott Skiles of Michigan St. It was before the 3-pt line existed in college and he had like 40 points and most shots were (what would now be considered) 3-pointers.

PS:I found proof of the Skiles game I referenced:"Skiles scored a career-high 45 against Minnesota (on 20 of 28 shooting)….(keep in mind this was before the 3-pt line existed and probably (by my recollection)
half of the makes were what are now 3-pointers).

Zirg said:
Yikes, I am glad I stayed out of this conversation (until now). I'm not saying one word about anything previously argued here, and I don't remember me first game Griz game that I saw (as it was probably some crappy Simon Fraser-type game), but the first game that stands out was when Stanford (and 3? NBA-ers) came to town in 1989, and, to this day, I have NEVER seen anyone make (what seemed like) every practice shot go in like Todd Lichti did. He had THE best shooting stroke I've ever seen. He didn't have the most amazing game (that I recall),per se, but I was in awe by his warm-up/shoot-around shooting, and I grew up watching big-time D1 b-ball.

His 3-pointers barely even touched the bottom of the net. That's how pure his shots were-every one it seemed. I still remember it vividly. He made, like, 15 straight 3-pointers (pure) right in front of us,even as we taunted him. Nothing phased him. The best shooting performance I ever saw in person
during a D1 game was Scott Skiles of Michigan St. It was before the 3-pt line existed in college and he had like 40 points and most shots were (what would now be considered) 3-pointers.

PS:I found proof of the Skiles game I referenced:"Skiles scored a career-high 45 against Minnesota (on 20 of 28 shooting)….(keep in mind this was before the 3-pt line existed and probably (by my recollection)
half of the makes were what are now 3-pointers).

Back