• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

My First Game at Dahlberg!!

PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:
Well, my FIRST GAME at Dahlberg, when it was just the Field House, was the VERY FIRST GAME played there, in December 1953 against the defending National Champion Indiana Hoosiers. As Griz fans, you are all a bunch of rookies!!! :lol:

Figure I'd better jump into this thread, because I, also, was at the first game in the UM Fieldhouse (as I always knew it). I just don't remember. My uncle was a member of the architectural team that designed the structure, so my father took me along to watch the construction process, of which I have vague memories.

It didn't take me long to become a Silvertip fan, though. My two heroes (1953 or 54) were Al Dunham and Rudolph "Zip" Rhodes (or Rhoades). I DO remember them vividly. Since then I've only missed three seasons as a fan (Vietnam) and could bore everyone with the player or players who were my heroes... and I'm pretty certain that was a yearly ritual... even though the teams during the sixties weren't very good.

Rhodes' son went to Harvard law school, worked for our firm, and works in Missoula now. The son is or was good hoops player too.

I go back to this one PR. This is the post where you commented about "Rhodes" son going to Harvard, working for your firm, working in Missoula and being a good hoops player. It's a direct response to discussion about Zip "Rhodes or Rhoades" being one of 2 heroes of the poster in 1953/54. No one had mentioned the mysterious Chuck Rhodes at this point.....so why go off about his Chuck's son when Zip is the subject?

Zip Rhoades was for sure not the father of the John Rhodes who went to Harvard law, worked for your firm, works in Missoula and was a good hoops player too. Yes you "mixed up" which Rhodes in a big way and didn't have a clue about the "son" of this guy's hero. You were exposed and wrong right out of the gate.

I'll bet you $100 Chuck Rhodes didn't letter for the Griz basketball team in the 1950's. Not willing to blindly bet $100 or $500 with a guy who was so blatantly exposed in his initial blow hard post. Chuck may have had a cup of tea and gotten into a game or two but so far no proof. I'd think after 7 months John (or Chuck) could produce some evidence of Chuck's playing days with UM (it was MSU then).

What about me scoring 29 against MSU in my final game at Dahlberg?

My interpretation of this clearly favors Mouse. The discussion ALWAYS was about the legendary Zip Rhoades, he of "Fabulous Frosh" fame, and not about Chuck Rhodes or his son, neither of whom anybody had ever heard of, and which sounded at the time more like not one but two convenient "beards" called up by PR to hide a rather obvious and embarrassing blunder on his part.

Jeez, 29 points. That's up there in Micheal Ray territory...

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizzlyjournal said:
maroonandsilver said:
Well, my FIRST GAME at Dahlberg, when it was just the Field House, was the VERY FIRST GAME played there, in December 1953 against the defending National Champion Indiana Hoosiers. As Griz fans, you are all a bunch of rookies!!! :lol:

Figure I'd better jump into this thread, because I, also, was at the first game in the UM Fieldhouse (as I always knew it). I just don't remember. My uncle was a member of the architectural team that designed the structure, so my father took me along to watch the construction process, of which I have vague memories.

It didn't take me long to become a Silvertip fan, though. My two heroes (1953 or 54) were Al Dunham and Rudolph "Zip" Rhodes (or Rhoades). I DO remember them vividly. Since then I've only missed three seasons as a fan (Vietnam) and could bore everyone with the player or players who were my heroes... and I'm pretty certain that was a yearly ritual... even though the teams during the sixties weren't very good.

Rhodes' son went to Harvard law school, worked for our firm, and works in Missoula now. The son is or was good hoops player too.

I go back to this one PR. This is the post where you commented about "Rhodes" son going to Harvard, working for your firm, working in Missoula and being a good hoops player. It's a direct response to discussion about Zip "Rhodes or Rhoades" being one of 2 heroes of the poster in 1953/54. No one had mentioned the mysterious Chuck Rhodes at this point.....so why go off about his Chuck's son when Zip is the subject?

Zip Rhoades was for sure not the father of the John Rhodes who went to Harvard law, worked for your firm, works in Missoula and was a good hoops player too. Yes you "mixed up" which Rhodes in a big way and didn't have a clue about the "son" of this guy's hero. You were exposed and wrong right out of the gate.

I'll bet you $100 Chuck Rhodes didn't letter for the Griz basketball team in the 1950's. Not willing to blindly bet $100 or $500 with a guy who was so blatantly exposed in his initial blow hard post. Chuck may have had a cup of tea and gotten into a game or two but so far no proof. I'd think after 7 months John (or Chuck) could produce some evidence of Chuck's playing days with UM (it was MSU then).

What about me scoring 29 against MSU in my final game at Dahlberg?

No, I never said anything about lettering. I said "played" at UM. I said nothing about lettering in any of my posts. You want to change the goal posts. I knew you didn't have the balls to bet me on whether Chuck Rhodes played at UM. I also assumed that you didn't have $500 to bet on anything. You are just a big blowhard, who has been a dick on this. Looks like you never went very far in life financially.

Also, note that I said "Rhodes" son, not Rhoades son. Ha. And yes, he didn't play as much has John had told me originally. Below are 3 quotes regarding betting on 3 different days. Also, I don't believe anyone took me up on any bet on this.

"Who wants to bet me $500 that John Rhodes' dad played hoops for the Griz? I say he did. Let's see one or more of you bigmouths put up or shut up on this. I'm waiting for the bet."

"Anyone still want to bet me that John's dad played for the Griz in the mid=50's ?"

"Want to make a nice bet on whether Rhodes played for the Griz?"

If you don't want to bet me on what I was trying to bet on, that's fine. But, when/if I prove it to you and board, I will expect an apology from you. Deal?

citay said:
My interpretation of this clearly favors Mouse. The discussion ALWAYS was about the legendary Zip Rhoades, he of "Fabulous Frosh" fame, and not about Chuck Rhodes or his son, neither of whom anybody had ever heard of, and which sounded at the time more like not one but two convenient "beards" called up by PR to hide a rather obvious and embarrassing blunder on his part.

The original discussion was about Zip, but the sub discussion was about whether Chuck Rhodes ever played for the Griz. If you want to take that bet now, name your price.

My main point was right. Some of the fringes not so much.

I think it's funny that Mouse is being a big mouth, but he won't back up his mouth with the bet I offered 3 times the past and again today.

PlayerRep said:
citay said:

The original discussion was about Zip, but the sub discussion was about whether Chuck Rhodes ever played for the Griz. If you want to take that bet now, name your price.

I think it's funny that Mouse is being a big mouth, but he won't back up his mouth with the bet I offered 3 times the past and again today.

I'm about half embarrassed to be groveling in the weeds with you on this PR. You've insulted me, my kid, and my financial position. If you're so damn rich and famous, why are you after a $100 or $500 bet with me where you might ultimately prove that "Old Chuck" did get a minute or two for the Griz bball team in the 1950's? The readily available lists of Griz basketball letter winners published in annual media guides don't reference Chuck Rhodes. This discussion started in February and it's now mid September...

Bet or not, prove your "main point" just for the sake of proving it. I'll then accept that I was wrong on "Old Chuck". I've long since proven my "main point" that you had no clue about the real "Rhoades" that starred for the Griz in the 1950's and became a hero to many.

Have a nice day!

citay said:

True....in JV game Cubs vs. Cats....the place started to fill up as we warmed up that night...was cool to watch 4,000 or so race to their seats as the gates were opened. The Zoo fully packed 2 or 3 hours before varsity game started. By half of our game the arena was packed with 9,000+. Bobcats didn't realize I was pretty solid with my 15 foot jumper and found a nice hole in their zone for about 8 or 10 of those I a row.

...drumroll for PR to belittle me that it was only the JV game!

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:
citay said:

I'm about half embarrassed to be groveling in the weeds with you on this PR. You've insulted me, my kid, and my financial position. If you're so damn rich and famous, why are you after a $100 or $500 bet with me where you might ultimately prove that "Old Chuck" did get a minute or two for the Griz bball team in the 1950's? The readily available lists of Griz basketball letter winners published in annual media guides don't reference Chuck Rhodes. This discussion started in February and it's now mid September...

Bet or not, prove your "main point" just for the sake of proving it. I'll then accept that I was wrong on "Old Chuck". I've long since proven my "main point" that you had no clue about the real "Rhoades" that starred for the Griz in the 1950's and became a hero to many.

Have a nice day!

Okay, I can see that neither you nor the likes of Everett want to bet and back up your big mouths on whether Chuck Rhodes played any hooks for UM. You want to move the goalposts from what I had said and wanted to bet on all along. Also, I admitted long ago that I was wrong in my initial post on Roades. Not sure why you've had to make what (a dozen) posts after that, and even move the subject to the Football board.

Looking forward to your admission that you were wrong, and I was right, on whether Rhodes had played for the Griz, at all. You are correct, he didn't play 2 or 3 years, as John had indicated to me. But you were dead wrong on whether he had played for the Griz.

I will start slowly.

Yo, PR. Here's my bet: Mousegriz scored more points in one game than Chuck Rhoades did for his entire career. Wanna take me up on that? $100.

citay said:
Yo, PR. Here's my bet: Mousegriz scored more points in one game than Chuck Rhoades did for his entire career. Wanna take me up on that? $100.

Nope. I just want apologies from all of the posters who said that I was wrong in saying that Chuck Rhodes had played hoops for UM.

Didn't realize there was a sport called "hooks" at UM in the 1950's. Did Chuck turn tricks out of the Oxford back then?

The suspense is killing me! Tell me more!

PlayerRep said:
citay said:

Nope. I just want apologies from all of the posters who said that I was wrong in saying that Chuck Rhodes had played hoops for UM.

Let it go, PR. If this were football, you'd be tackling the man without the ball.

citay said:
PlayerRep said:
citay said:

Let it go, PR. If this were football, you'd be tackling the man without the ball.

Amen! I would like to see/hear more about Chuck though. As PR knows, I like benchwarmers including the State HS champ I raised who went on to letter 4 years in college (and graduate in 4 too!).

citay said:
PlayerRep said:
citay said:

He's a flash in his own pan.....

citay said:
PlayerRep said:
citay said:

No way. When I'm right and have been right all along, why would I let it go.

Mousegriz said:
citay said:
PlayerRep said:
citay said:

Amen! I would like to see/hear more about Chuck though. As PR knows, I like benchwarmers including the State HS champ I raised who went on to letter 4 years in college (and graduate in 4 too!).

I will dribble out more when I feel like it. Actually, I don't know how to upload/download stuff very well, or at all. Great for your kid, and you.

GrizLA said:
citay said:
PlayerRep said:
citay said:

Why can't you guys admit that you were wrong, or at least some of your brethren were wrong? Chuck Rhodes played hoops for UM, as I said, and wanted to be on, all along? I admitted that I mixed up the Rhodes "brothers" and that my Rhodes didn't play 2 or 3 years, as I had been told. And, then no one would bet me, despite having huge big mouths.

Call me a noob as my first season was 1974, "the year" !

I have a section of the old wood bleachers that I need to get to TD, if he wants them.

PlayerRep said:
GrizLA said:
citay said:
PlayerRep said:

Why can't you guys admit that you were wrong, or at least some of your brethren were wrong? Chuck Rhodes played hoops for UM, as I said, and wanted to be on, all along? I admitted that I mixed up the Rhodes "brothers" and that my Rhodes didn't play 2 or 3 years, as I had been told. And, then no one would bet me, despite having huge big mouths.

Why can't you prove we are wrong first? Will be fun to find out how "fringe" Chuck was and get a couple more laughs on that initial post you made. The snippet of an email from Nick Hallisley (who's he...did he watch Chuck Play?) hasn't proven anything.

Latest posts

Back