• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Record - expectations and reality

Yukon said:
my guess:

South Dakota (win)
North Alabama (win)
Oregon
Monmouth (win)
UC Davis
Idaho State (win)
Sac State (win)
Eastern Washington (win)
Portland State (win)
Idaho (win)
Weber State
Montana State (win)

The only one I disagree with you on is EWU. Other than that, spot on.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Agreed. 8-4 with losses to Oregon, EWU, Weber & UCD. Which makes us 8-3 in FCS games and a playoff team. There isn’t another team on that schedule we should lose to. Not one. Any anybody saying different is making excuses for Hauck.

I am not making excuses for Hauck, I just struggle seeing more than 6-7 wins until we see if the Griz can compete in the trenches. Currently, I don't think they are, which will make beating good teams and winning consistently on the road very difficult.

Then who are the 5-6 teams you think we’ll lose to? Because I just don’t see it based on that schedule. I see four losses max.

Let me ask this...what was your prediction last year? Because that was a much easier schedule than this year and we found a way to go 6-5. I haven’t seen enough change (yet) to feel confident about saying we all of a sudden get 8 wins with a MUCH TOUGHER schedule.

It happens every year....we lose a game or two we shouldn’t. Will happen again.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
Agreed. 8-4 with losses to Oregon, EWU, Weber & UCD. Which makes us 8-3 in FCS games and a playoff team. There isn’t another team on that schedule we should lose to. Not one. Any anybody saying different is making excuses for Hauck.

I am not making excuses for Hauck, I just struggle seeing more than 6-7 wins until we see if the Griz can compete in the trenches. Currently, I don't think they are, which will make beating good teams and winning consistently on the road very difficult.

Then who are the 5-6 teams you think we’ll lose to? Because I just don’t see it based on that schedule. I see four losses max.

Let me ask this...what was your prediction last year? Because that was a much easier schedule than this year and we found a way to go 6-5. I haven’t seen enough change (yet) to feel confident about saying we all of a sudden get 8 wins with a MUCH TOUGHER schedule.

Let me ask you this. How much better or worse do you think the team will be in the fall, from the prior year.

as for football, i expect the griz to beat the bobs, win the big sky, and make the playoffs. just like last year. also, just like last year, anything less in unacceptable. i also expect that if these expectations are not met, the coach will be, like he should, fired.

as for egriz, i expect a lot of bobby-by-proxy chest pounding, and a myriad of excuses and stitt blaming if any of these don't happen. and hypocrisy. lots of hypocrisy.

RayWill said:
7 wins are entirely doable for this team. Anything more exceeds expectations.

I'm with Ray on this and it's the same as I expected/predicted last year. Remove a couple of fourth quarter fumbles and we reach eight wins easily. This year we should get to seven wins, even with a tougher schedule, and anything more will make me very happy. It's possible it goes down to the final game again fighting for a playoff spot.

GO GRIZ!

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

Let me ask you this. How much better or worse do you think the team will be in the fall, from the prior year.

I think the team will be better for sure. But I also think the much tougher schedule only leads to 6-7 wins. I’d be thrilled if I was wrong.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think the team will be better for sure. But I also think the much tougher schedule only leads to 6-7 wins. I’d be thrilled if I was wrong.

Be thrilled. You're wrong. :D :D

AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:
poorgriz said:
Culture and coaching changes take time. You're at least a year away. Likely 6-6, but could hit 7-5 or 5-7.

@ South Dakota - Tossup

North Alabama - Win

@Oregon - Loss

Monmouth - Win

@UC Davis - Loss

Idaho St - Tossup

@Sac St - Tossup

EWU - Loss

@PSU - Win

Idaho - Tossup

Weber St - Loss

@Montana St. - Loss
Curious how you can say 2-8 Sac State will be a tossup this year? Also Idaho, who we ran off the field last year....

Exactly. And lost virtually NO skill position players....

Because it's the Big Sky. Literally any team can beat any team on Saturday. Also, because you barely beat them last year and they had to play in Missoula. As for Idaho - I'll give you that one, you'll probably beat them although I didn't think you'd lose to PSU last year AT HOME but you did. So again, any given.....

O line has more depth, which equates to a run game that is effective. QB now in his second year of the system. Not as youthful with a lot of seniors. Best receiving corps in the BSC by far. Better secondary play. Tougher schedule - so 8 or 9 wins. 2019 will be a much better year barring any injuries.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think they lose half there road games minimum, so that is at least 3, and I wouldn't pick them over either EWU or Weber currently. That gets me to 5 minimum.

Copper Griz said:
O line has more depth, which equates to a run game that is effective.

I am not sure depth is the biggest issue holding them back...it is the mediocre play that was prevalent for a majority of last season. Can those top 5 guys improve and be better, which only time will tell.

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think they lose half there road games minimum, so that is at least 3, and I wouldn't pick them over either EWU or Weber currently. That gets me to 5 minimum.

So you think they go 2-3 against South Dakota, PSU, MSU, UCD & Sac State? I think 4-1, or at worst 3-2.

AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizindabox said:

So you think they go 2-3 against South Dakota, PSU, MSU, UCD & Sac State? I think 4-1, or at worst 3-2.

I think that winning on the road is difficult without good line play, and right now I don't see that as a positive for this team. I see 3 road losses without a lot of improvement in the trenches.

poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:
poorgriz said:
Culture and coaching changes take time. You're at least a year away. Likely 6-6, but could hit 7-5 or 5-7.

@ South Dakota - Tossup

North Alabama - Win

@Oregon - Loss

Monmouth - Win

@UC Davis - Loss

Idaho St - Tossup

@Sac St - Tossup

EWU - Loss

@PSU - Win

Idaho - Tossup

Weber St - Loss

@Montana St. - Loss
Curious how you can say 2-8 Sac State will be a tossup this year? Also Idaho, who we ran off the field last year....

Because it's the Big Sky. Literally any team can beat any team on Saturday. Also, because you barely beat them last year and they had to play in Missoula. As for Idaho - I'll give you that one, you'll probably beat them although I didn't think you'd lose to PSU last year AT HOME but you did. So again, any given.....

so you're projecting year one of a coach and system, new QB, raw O-line with emergency transfers onto how we're going to do THIS year? I think you're high.

poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:
poorgriz said:

@ South Dakota - Tossup

North Alabama - Win

@Oregon - Loss

Monmouth - Win

@UC Davis - Loss

Idaho St - Tossup

@Sac St - Tossup

EWU - Loss

@PSU - Win

Idaho - Tossup

Weber St - Loss

@Montana St. - Loss

Do you even read the nonsense you type??? If you truly believe that any team can beat any team then shouldn't every prediction you make be a coin flip. That's not a prediction, that's random chance. We are having a discussion about how the GRIZ might do given any number of factors. You have reduced your thinking to zero factors and therefore have no business in this discussion. Holy Hell, I thought University of California - Bozeman Technical Campus was suppose to be some sort of engineering/science school? This is your scientific analysis? Anybody can win at anytime....bravo.

SaskGriz said:
poorgriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
WaGriz4life said:

Do you even read the nonsense you type??? If you truly believe that any team can beat any team then shouldn't every prediction you make be a coin flip. That's not a prediction, that's random chance. We are having a discussion about how the GRIZ might do given any number of factors. You have reduced your thinking to zero factors and therefore have no business in this discussion. Holy Hell, I thought University of California - Bozeman Technical Campus was suppose to be some sort of engineering/science school? This is your scientific analysis? Anybody can win at anytime....bravo.

Honest question for you. How sure were you that the griz were going to beat PSU at Washington grizzly stadium last year? I don't know your financial situation but would you have bet $10,000 on the game straight up?

Gimmes
- N. Alabama
- Monmouth
- @ Sac St
- @ PSU
- Idaho

Should Wins
- @ SDU
(10 returning starters on offense, positionless defense that makes it hard to prepare for sets them out of the "gimme" column)

50/50s
- ISU
(wacked MSU last year. return 9 on offense that put up almost 40/game. Defense I believe returns 8 starters? Staff has all worked for BH and have a good understanding of what we do)
- Weber
(Salty defense that returns everyone, I think this one will be tough but doable)
- MSU
(Hate to say it, but they're a good team both from a personnel standpoint and how they are coached)

Tough ones
-UCD
(We can say we should have beat them, which I agree. But once they got clicking late their offense kicked ass. Top 10 team)
- EWU
(Might be the best coached team in the BCS. Lost 9 defensive starters before playoffs last year and still went to the Chipper. A lot of those guys got a Medical Redshirt)

Not-gonna-happens
- OU
(For obvious reasons)

If we can get 2 of the 3 50/50s and everything else goes as I project, 8 wins with things going our way for the most part. But that's why you play the game!

Last year we lost three games to teams we should have beat, and only beat one team we weren’t supposed to (although UNI wasn’t actually that good).

I’d call it improvement if we can cut the number of losses to teams we shouldn’t lose to to one at the most, and hopefully nab a win we shouldn’t get. If that happens, 8 wins is definitely doable.

But to be pragmatic, I’ll say 7 wins is a good barometer, given the holes in the roster. More than that is gravy, less than that should be concerning.

The people saying Hauck’s job should be in jeopardy if we don’t get 7 wins are pretty funny, though.

What do you want to do? Fire him and permanently cripple the program out of spite?

uofmman1122 said:
What do you want to do? Fire him and permanently cripple the program out of spite?
We should just cycle coaches every 3 years. It works well for USC and Nebraska.

AZGrizFan said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

Be thrilled. You're wrong. :D :D

I can appreciate your enthusiasm!

Back