• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2021 Official UM football Signing day List

Paytonlives said:
ALL Known Vebals are in!

Signed on Dec 16th (19)
ATH- Camden Sirmon 6' 1" 200 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT
ATH- Zac Evans 6'1" 225 (Helena HS) Helena, MT (PWO)
ATH- Soren Syvrud 6'0" 190 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT (PWO)
QB- Daniel Britt (Liberty HS) Henderson, NV
RB- Colter Janacaro 5' 11" 195 (Big Sky HS) Missoula, MT
OL/LS- Declan McCabe 6' 4" 240 (Midway HS) Hewitt, TX
OL- Liam Brown 6' 5" 307 (Sunset HS) Portland, OR
TE- Jake Olson 6'7" 251 (Butte HS) Butte, MT
WR- TJ Rausch 6'3" 175 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT

DE- Kellen Detrick 6'3" 215 (Havre HS) Havre, MT
DE- Dylan Smith 6' 4" 230 (Whitehall HS) Whitehall, MT (PWO)
DL- Corby Mann 6' 5" 220 (Red Lodge HS) Red Lodge, MT (PWO)
DL- Sloan McPherson 6' 4" 230 (Savage HS)
LB/ATH- Ben McGourin 6'2" 220 (Cheney HS) Cheney, WA
LB- Geno Leonard 5'11" 220 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT
S- Jace Klucewich (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT
S- Brady Lang 6' 1" 180 (Bozeman HS) Bozeman, MT (PWO)
S- Padraig Lang 6' 1" 190 (Bozeman HS) Bozeman, MT (PWO)

K- Camden Capser 6' 2" 170 (Billings Central HS) Billings, MT

Just glancing at this list without digging too deep, a couple things that really stand out are that, of the 19 signees, only 4 from outside the state of Montana. Also that tells me that Bobby was able to get a lot of bodies without spending a lot of scholarship money (not to mention recruiting travel budget $).

The other thing that stands out is that 5(?) are from Sentinel high school. Has MSU or UM every announced 5 kids from the same high school on signing day before? That seems like it could be a first.

Overall this has been a very odd signing day that I think a lot of fans overlooked due to there not being any football this fall.

wbtfg said:
Paytonlives said:
ALL Known Vebals are in!

Signed on Dec 16th (19)
ATH- Camden Sirmon 6' 1" 200 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT
ATH- Zac Evans 6'1" 225 (Helena HS) Helena, MT (PWO)
ATH- Soren Syvrud 6'0" 190 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT (PWO)
QB- Daniel Britt (Liberty HS) Henderson, NV
RB- Colter Janacaro 5' 11" 195 (Big Sky HS) Missoula, MT
OL/LS- Declan McCabe 6' 4" 240 (Midway HS) Hewitt, TX
OL- Liam Brown 6' 5" 307 (Sunset HS) Portland, OR
TE- Jake Olson 6'7" 251 (Butte HS) Butte, MT
WR- TJ Rausch 6'3" 175 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT

DE- Kellen Detrick 6'3" 215 (Havre HS) Havre, MT
DE- Dylan Smith 6' 4" 230 (Whitehall HS) Whitehall, MT (PWO)
DL- Corby Mann 6' 5" 220 (Red Lodge HS) Red Lodge, MT (PWO)
DL- Sloan McPherson 6' 4" 230 (Savage HS)
LB/ATH- Ben McGourin 6'2" 220 (Cheney HS) Cheney, WA
LB- Geno Leonard 5'11" 220 (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT
S- Jace Klucewich (Sentinel HS) Missoula, MT
S- Brady Lang 6' 1" 180 (Bozeman HS) Bozeman, MT (PWO)
S- Padraig Lang 6' 1" 190 (Bozeman HS) Bozeman, MT (PWO)

K- Camden Capser 6' 2" 170 (Billings Central HS) Billings, MT

Just glancing at this list without digging too deep, a couple things that really stand out are that, of the 19 signees, only 4 from outside the state of Montana. Also that tells me that Bobby was able to get a lot of bodies without spending a lot of scholarship money (not to mention recruiting travel budget $).

The other thing that stands out is that 5(?) are from Sentinel high school. Has MSU or UM every announced 5 kids from the same high school on signing day before? That seems like it could be a first.

Overall this has been a very odd signing day that I think a lot of fans overlooked due to there not being any football this fall.

For as far back as I can remember, I've never seen either team get 5 from any one HS....

At first I was very underwhelmed to say the least with lack of out of state guys......but then when I thought about it with the seniors getting another year in reality this make this class more of an "extra signing period" instead of a regular one. When next year the seniors scholarships are truly up, then the actual next full recruiting blown class will be able to be signed. This class can be looked at like a bonus in that respect. The good news is the number of seniors that have stuck to the the program and will return (thus the limited number of scholarships open at this time). The ones that have really been screwed is the high school seniors this year since FCS schools for the most part will just flat out not have the normal number of scholarships to offer since the many seniors will not be leaving nationwide it reduces the overall spots for them. I bet there are some scholarship level players finding their options are very limited and having to walk on places. I predict many walk on at FBS schools and then likely will enter transfer portal in about 12 months.

Paytonlives said:
wbtfg said:

For as far back as I can remember, I've never seen either team get 5 from any one HS....

Has there ever been a MT HS that had 5 kids go D-1?

AZGrizFan said:
Paytonlives said:

Pretty sure they weren't all in the same class but they were on the same varsity team for stretches - the early 2000s Great Falls CMR teams featured:

QB Brady Leaf, Oregon
QB Justin Hartman, Montana
WR Ryan Bagley, Montana
WR Tyler Graham, Oregon State baseball (certainly could've played in the Big Sky for football)
RB Royce Fulp, Colorado State before trasnfering to MSU
TE Justin Goodman, Washington
LB Austin Mullins, Montana
LB Chase Gazerro, Montana State
OL Jeff Hansen, Montana State
DT Kelly Kain, Griz
DE Mike Murphy, Griz

Thoughts from Hauck and an interview with Jace Klucewich on the first hour of my show today:

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0RXbp9rgvSUgnABoZSl1X0?si=x5aCtHVSSWGXXhsfxSFYSA

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Pretty sure they weren't all in the same class but they were on the same varsity team for stretches - the early 2000s Great Falls CMR teams featured:

QB Brady Leaf, Oregon
WR Ryan Bagley, Montana
WR Tyler Graham, Oregon State baseball (certainly could've played in the Big Sky for football)
DT Kelly Kain, Griz
DE Mike Murphy, Griz

Yeah, I was wondering about the same class like this one.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
grizfan1984 said:
Not trying to sound negative but I don’t think we get 5 Sentinel kids if it wasn’t for Covid.

Yes you do. Only Klucewich was really recruited by anyone else.

Choate basically said the Griz recruits were frontier level on your show yesterday. He also trolled us by saying the cats are going to beat the Griz every year in football for the foreseeable future.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
AZGrizFan said:

QB Brady Leaf, Oregon
WR Ryan Bagley, Montana
DT Kelly Kain, Griz
DE Mike Murphy, Griz

Not 5 D1 kids in same class, but on same varsity graduating from Butte High in mid 87 to 89 and played for Da Griz:

DE Kyle Mirich
LB Paul LeProwse
LB Chad Lembke
DT Lance Allen
FS Todd Ericson

Joining the 89'rs at Butte High and also then with the Griz were the 92'rs:

DT Brian Toone
DE Randy Riley
QB/WR Josh Paffhausen

I still remember vividly Toone and Riley meeting at the QB for the go ahead 2 point safety in the NC.

AZGrizFan said:
granitegriz said:
You are saying no else recruited Sirmon!?! I am not buying that!

No one else recruited the offensive OR the defensive MVP’s? :? :?

It depends what you mean by “recruited”

Of the griz signees, I think MSU offered scholarships to Klucewich, Dietrick and Olson. I’m sure they recruited some others as walkons.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
grizfan1984 said:
Not trying to sound negative but I don’t think we get 5 Sentinel kids if it wasn’t for Covid.

I took this to mean that Montana would not have recruited all 5 if it were a normal, non-Covid, recruiting class.

grizindabox said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

I took this to mean that Montana would not have recruited all 5 if it were a normal, non-Covid, recruiting class.

That's the way I took it as well. While I love getting good Montana football players, I am nervous about this class and wonder how many of them would have been recruited if the Griz coaches had the ability to recruit more heavily outside of the state.

I like this class of MT kids and I am very hopeful that they will be fueled by the fact they supposedly would have been overlooked if it wasn't for COVID. Give me an undersized Geno Leonard all day with a little extra motivation. This is the type of class with character and motivation and grit that builds the backbone of national championship teams. The fact they were signed with a low scholarship budget makes it even more special. Work hard and earn a bigger scholly down the road.

wbtfg said:
AZGrizFan said:
No one else recruited the offensive OR the defensive MVP’s? :? :?

It depends what you mean by “recruited”

Of the griz signees, I think MSU offered scholarships to Klucewich, Dietrick and Olson. I’m sure they recruited some others as walkons.

And on the flip end, out of the MSU signees the only ones Griz offered were Eiden, Bergen, Daily, and Reynolds.

Interesting how both schools view the various talent.

go96griz said:
I like this class of MT kids and I am very hopeful that they will be fueled by the fact they supposedly would have been overlooked if it wasn't for COVID. Give me an undersized Geno Leonard all day with a little extra motivation. This is the type of class with character and motivation and grit that builds the backbone of national championship teams. The fact they were signed with a low scholarship budget makes it even more special. Work hard and earn a bigger scholly down the road.

I see this class only as a supplement to last years. They are all just part of a 40ish recruit freshman class now.

Back