• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2023 Griz Football Recruiting- (11)Verbals- (15)Offers- (1) 2024 Vebal

uofmman1122 said:
SoldierGriz said:
If the coaching staff doesn't get this athlete on campus ASAP...they are not doing this portal stuff right.

Florida A&M? Georgia State? C'mon man.
He's following coach Green on twitter, so the ball seems to be rolling.

Is there a MT connection to this guy somehow? Is he from the west? Just curious why anyone thinks we'd have a shot at him.

Griz2k said:
uofmman1122 said:
He's following coach Green on twitter, so the ball seems to be rolling.

Is there a MT connection to this guy somehow? Is he from the west? Just curious why anyone thinks we'd have a shot at him.
Well, we certainly don't have a chance if we don't try.

And I know people have been making a big deal of the connection thing and transfers, but I don't think they exclusively only go for guys they have connections with.

AFAIK, we didn't have a former coaching connection with Walker, Hustedt, or Racanelli (just to name a few) before they came here, and before we landed LJ, we were going after QBs that Bobby hadn't known before.

uofmman1122 said:
Griz2k said:

And I know people have been making a big deal of the connection thing and transfers, but I don't think they exclusively only go for guys they have connections with.

AFAIK, we didn't have a former coaching connection with Walker, Hustedt, or Racanelli (just to name a few) before they came here, and before we landed LJ, we were going after QBs that Bobby hadn't known before.

Ya, totally get that..but typically for someone to come all the way from back east, there's usually some kind of connection or they are from the west somewhere. Just curious is all.

uofmman1122 said:
Griz2k said:

100% disagree on Walker, Hustedt AND Racanelli. They came from Nebraska and UW, two programs we have bigly connections with. Same with Abbott and LJ. They may not EXCLUSIVELY go after guys that fit that description, but it’s certainly the mainstay of their approach. Of that there is little question.

Griz2k said:
uofmman1122 said:

Ya, totally get that..but typically for someone to come all the way from back east, there's usually some kind of connection or they are from the west somewhere. Just curious is all.
Yeah, I don't know. We landed guys like DeAri Todd, Justin Ford, and Isaiah Childs who were all from southern or eastern states without a lot of connections. It's definitely doable, and comes down to the individual guys, but you're right that we don't see them super often.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

100% disagree on Walker, Hustedt AND Racanelli. They came from Nebraska and UW, two programs we have bigly connections with. Same with Abbott and LJ. They may not EXCLUSIVELY go after guys that fit that description, but it’s certainly the mainstay of their approach. Of that there is little question.
I've seen multiple people on here say we only go after transfers that played under our coaches in the past, which was my point. If it's simply "guys at staffs familiar to our coaches", then that is a huge number of schools and staffs, and we likely don't have to worry about things like who they played for. I wouldn't be surprised if Bobby had connections at more than half the G5 programs and more P5 programs than we'd think.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I've seen multiple people on here say we only go after transfers that played under our coaches in the past, which was my point. If it's simply "guys at staffs familiar to our coaches", then that is a huge number of schools and staffs, and we likely don't have to worry about things like who they played for. I wouldn't be surprised if Bobby had connections at more than half the G5 programs and more P5 programs than we'd think.

Well, there’s a shitload of talent in the portal and as you said earlier, you can’t land them if you don’t try. Bobby needs to (IMHO as a pedestrian fan who never played the game past 9th grade) cast a MUCH wider net and stop trying to laser focus on a few recruits and land a few more fish. Maybe then we wouldn’t have to convert defensive linemen to step into the offensive line when his HS recruits flame out or don’t develop.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Well, there’s a shitload of talent in the portal and as you said earlier, you can’t land them if you don’t try. Bobby needs to (IMHO as a pedestrian fan who never played the game past 9th grade) cast a MUCH wider net and stop trying to laser focus on a few recruits and land a few more fish. Maybe then we wouldn’t have to convert defensive linemen to step into the offensive line when his HS recruits flame out or don’t develop.
I think you can very much criticize their HS recruiting approach, but if you follow their nets when it comes to transfers, they go extremely wide. I'm pretty sure we were recruiting over 25 QBs from the portal just last year and ended up offering 3 or 4. That's just one position. IIRC, I think the number of recruited portal DBs was almost double that.

I honestly don't know why their HS recruiting philosophy isn't similar, because arguably the we've been one of the better transfer recruiting schools in the FCS recently.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I think you can very much criticize their HS recruiting approach, but if you follow their nets when it comes to transfers, they go extremely wide. I'm pretty sure we were recruiting over 25 QBs from the portal just last year and ended up offering 3 or 4. That's just one position. IIRC, I think the number of recruited portal DBs was almost double that.

I honestly don't know why their HS recruiting philosophy isn't similar, because arguably the we've been one of the better transfer recruiting schools in the FCS recently.

Well they may cast a wide net, but when the ones they LAND seem to come from the same 3-4 schools it seems “suspicious”.

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Well they may cast a wide net, but when the ones they LAND seem to come from the same 3-4 schools it seems “suspicious”.
Our transfers on the team came from 13 different schools.

I think the ones with multiple players are much more coincidental than evidence of any sort of strategy or failing to land other players from other schools.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think the ones with multiple players are much more coincidental than evidence of any sort of strategy or failing to land other players from other schools.

Yes, I’m aware there’s more than 3-4 schools. But between WSU and Nebraska and UW there’s the bulk of them:

Nebraska - Walker, Forbes, Hustedt
UW - Racanelli, Van der Strate
WSU - Mayginnes, Barnum (baseball)
ISU - Dotson
Louisville - Ford
Oregon St - Cotton
Oregon - Abbott
SDSU - Johnson
Akron - Childs
Iowa - Wegener
U of Mary - O’Connell
Cal - Ramos
AF - Eli Alford
JC - Whitehead, Travillion

7/19 from three schools. So not quite half…Surprisingly we don’t have anyone currently on the roster from ASU or UA, which has been a pretty decent pipeline recently for us. Also surprisingly, only TWO JC players….that seems like another potentially undertapped resource (Knight was JC, but is now gone).

Not sure if I missed anyone…

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Yes, I’m aware there’s more than 3-4 schools. But between WSU and Nebraska and UW there’s the bulk of them:

ISU - Dotson
Louisville - Ford
Oregon St - Cotton
Oregon - Abbott
SDSU - Johnson
Akron - Childs
Iowa - Wegener
U of Mary - O’Connell
Cal - Ramos
AF - Eli Alford

7/19 from three schools. So not quite half…Surprisingly we don’t have anyone currently on the roster from ASU or UA, which has been a pretty decent pipeline recently for us. Also surprisingly, only TWO JC players….that seems like another potentially undertapped resource (Knight was JC, but is now gone).

Right, I still think those duplicates are more coincidental or have reasons other than an inability to get guys from other schools. For example, we would've gotten Barny's kid no matter where he went to school, and would've had Mayginnes's brother, if it had worked out, not because we can only recruit from WSU, but because they obviously wanted to play together. Forbes came from Nebraska first, and it's likely he had an effect on Hustedt coming here, who then had an effect on Walker. I heard Racanelli was impressed with our team when we beat UW last season. Van der Strate was another UW WR and knew Sawyer.

I see that less as "they can only get guys from certain schools" and maybe more "they're good at getting multiple guys from the same school", but even then, I don't think it says much about our overall recruiting prowess.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:

ISU - Dotson
Louisville - Ford
Oregon St - Cotton
Oregon - Abbott
SDSU - Johnson
Akron - Childs
Iowa - Wegener
U of Mary - O’Connell
Cal - Ramos
AF - Eli Alford

Right, I still think those duplicates are more coincidental or have reasons other than an inability to get guys from other schools. For example, we would've gotten Barny's kid no matter where he went to school, and would've had Mayginnes's brother, if it had worked out, not because we can only recruit from WSU, but because they obviously wanted to play together. Forbes came from Nebraska first, and it's likely he had an effect on Hustedt coming here, who then had an effect on Walker. I heard Racanelli was impressed with our team when we beat UW last season. Van der Strate was another UW WR and knew Sawyer.

I see that less as "they can only get guys from certain schools" and maybe more "they're good at getting multiple guys from the same school", but even then, I don't think it says much about our overall recruiting prowess.

I don’t doubt it’s somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy, for the reasons you mentioned. But it still begs the question…why the concentration from 3 schools? Do you think Schillinger’s coaching time at Nebraska played into that pipeline any? Or is that a coincidence?

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

I don’t doubt it’s somewhat of a self-fulfilling prophecy, for the reasons you mentioned. But it still begs the question…why the concentration from 3 schools? Do you think Schillinger’s coaching time at Nebraska played into that pipeline any? Or is that a coincidence?
I don't know, I think the only guy he could have had any overlap with would be Walker.

But again, I don't think the concentration is really that big of a deal, outside of potentially Nebraska. Cooper Barnum was gonna come here no matter which school he had gone to and decided to quit baseball at. Being at WSU didn't matter. And I suspect us beating UW had an effect on those players we got from there, similar to how Tyler Rohl was considering coming to UM, but picked NDSU after they beat us at home in 2003. Them losing their coach after last season probably had a lot to do with it, as well.

uofmman1122 said:
AZGrizFan said:
I don't know, I think the only guy he could have had any overlap with would be Walker.

But again, I don't think the concentration is really that big of a deal, outside of potentially Nebraska. Cooper Barnum was gonna come here no matter which school he had gone to and decided to quit baseball at. Being at WSU didn't matter. And I suspect us beating UW had an effect on those players we got from there, similar to how Tyler Rohl was considering coming to UM, but picked NDSU after they beat us at home in 2003. Them losing their coach after last season probably had a lot to do with it, as well.

:thumb:

If a QB had 34 TDs, 3 INTs, and over 3,000 yards passing for a top 10 ranked team in CA that plays against DI talent every single game, would that be something we might be interested in? Or, do our HS recruits have to have gone to some camp or something? I think UNLV or Idaho is going to get him.

CDAGRIZ said:
If a QB had 34 TDs, 3 INTs, and over 3,000 yards passing for a top 10 ranked team in CA that plays against DI talent every single game, would that be something we might be interested in? Or, do our HS recruits have to have gone to some camp or something? I think UNLV or Idaho is going to get him.

Answered your own question, my friend.

He could however, backdoor it for an almost guaranteed starting spot by coming to a camp, signing with another team and transferring to UM in his junior or senior season. Hope this helps.

Back