• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MBBALL 2024 Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker

Cats are taking some chances on guys with injuries between him and Mullins. Needs to work on his shooting percentage but as long as he stays healthy he’ll be a solid addition. Kinda skinny too at 6’9, 195. They brought in some guys with size though. Hopefully we get some size for our 2 remaining spots.
Yes please. 1 Wing & 1 Center

It's always a gamble to take in a player who was injured the previous year. However, he looks like a good gamble. The worst that can happen is that he is not able to contribute at the level you wanted him to, and he ends up getting one more year of education, just to move on to the rest of his life.

I feel that the Griz already have someone in the works or they wouldn't have let Jones go.

What is surprising to me is the number of players who will be moving down or out. As a player, I wouldn't want to be left in the portal a week from now. Options will be drying up fast.

It's always a gamble to take in a player who was injured the previous year. However, he looks like a good gamble. The worst that can happen is that he is not able to contribute at the level you wanted him to, and he ends up getting one more year of education, just to move on to the rest of his life.

I feel that the Griz already have someone in the works or they wouldn't have let Jones go.

What is surprising to me is the number of players who will be moving down or out. As a player, I wouldn't want to be left in the portal a week from now. Options will be drying up fast.
I agree. Just with the timing of when Jones got in the portal signals that they have somebody lined up and had to make room. Hopefully we get an announcement soon! I’d like to have the roster completed soon now that the semester is almost over and we’re headed into Summer

So that should mean we have 2 spots available then. So now we can bring in a big guy and a wing/post player as well, which is good cause I felt like we needed another guy in that role besides Sawyer. I wasn't very high on Jones. I think they made the right decision on that front.
Did they make the right decision bringing in Jones in the first place? Aren't he and Reynolds just more of the many big man misses the past few years? Who's to think the coaches are going to do any different this year?

I thought it was odd that Jones left so late in the process, and I don't think it was because of the Bradtke verbal as at least how they were deployed last year I saw them as different players and different roles.

I don't think it was coach led decision. Just an assumption, but Jones would have known what his probable role was coming into the 24-25 season in his post season meeting including roster and scholarship status.

That being said I think the staff has been looking at the JC ranks in recent weeks, in part because as noted above just how absurdly competitive the post market has become. They really, really need someone who can come in and give quality minutes and has experience. In an ideal world you find that with a D1 guy, but that market is so hot right now, that it wouldn't surprise me they continue working the JC ranks to find a guy that fits that mold.

I thought it was odd that Jones left so late in the process, and I don't think it was because of the Bradtke verbal as at least how they were deployed last year I saw them as different players and different roles.

I don't think it was coach led decision. Just an assumption, but Jones would have known what his probable role was coming into the 24-25 season in his post season meeting including roster and scholarship status.

That being said I think the staff has been looking at the JC ranks in recent weeks, in part because as noted above just how absurdly competitive the post market has become. They really, really need someone who can come in and give quality minutes and has experience. In an ideal world you find that with a D1 guy, but that market is so hot right now, that it wouldn't surprise me they continue working the JC ranks to find a guy that fits that mold.
I agree with everything you are saying there, with the exception of it not being the coaches decision. If it was the players choice to enter the portal, it would have happened much sooner.

All of ours were coaches decision, and they happened much earlier in the process. I feel that the majority of those entering in the second half of the 2000 entrants, were coaches choice. It's my experience that commitments are often made before the player enters the portal. The rest is just formality and to give the impression of playing by the rules. That is why so many players were getting offers in Boise. I would bet that some players started getting offers in January. The NCAA has no handle on it at all. They just go through the motions and turn their head the other way. Power 4 programs just do what they want.

I think you are likely right, but what really struck me was that with his departure (optional or forced) it leaves the Griz with only 2 true posts on the roster. Jones wasn't a true post, but it seems weird that he'd walk out the door under that scenario regardless of whoever else is coming in.

The Griz currently have 3 open scholarships for the 24-25 season, unless they count Whitney's scholarship as one of the 13 or if Dick warranted a scholarship after last year. I think what is worrisome is the post talent is rapidly leaving the portal and they'll be stuck with taking flyers on guys. This has been a pattern since pre-covid and they've swung and missed on nearly all of their developmental post guys. Makes me super nervous.

I have heard next to nothing since Bradtke verballed which only compounds that worry.

Here is my maths for the scholarships...(entirely possible that I missed someone)...but this is what I THINK it looks like right now for scholarships...

Counting Scholarships for 24-25 (10)
- Henderson (G), M. Williams (G), Johnson (G), Moore (G), Patterson (G), Dargan (G), Thompson (G/W), Davidson (W/4), Sawyer, Bradtke (TR),

Covid Scholarship:
- Whitney (G)

Winkel is an interesting case. They list him as a 6'9'' PF, but when we got to see him in person, he sure didn't seem that tall. He plays like a PF and can shoot it, but he is really only 6'6''. Fudging a little on measurements is often seen, but not usually by that much. Weber backed off on him right away. However, we did sign a freshman, who the scouts had listed as 6'11'', and he measured at just under 6'9'' in stocking feet. That one wasn't quite as bad. I've heard stories of PFs coming in for visits and then measuring out at 6'3''. Best not to always believe what you see in print.

Winkel is an interesting case. They list him as a 6'9'' PF, but when we got to see him in person, he sure didn't seem that tall. He plays like a PF and can shoot it, but he is really only 6'6''. Fudging a little on measurements is often seen, but not usually by that much. Weber backed off on him right away. However, we did sign a freshman, who the scouts had listed as 6'11'', and he measured at just under 6'9'' in stocking feet. That one wasn't quite as bad. I've heard stories of PFs coming in for visits and then measuring out at 6'3''. Best not to always believe what you see in print.
Whether he is 6'9" or 6'6", he averaged 17pts and 7 rbs p/g on a 31-5 team....he led his team in pts and rbs....I think that is the stat that counts, not his actual height....BTW, he was also listed at 230 lbs, is that close or is he really 195?

Whether he is 6'9" or 6'6", he averaged 17pts and 7 rbs p/g on a 31-5 team....he led his team in pts and rbs....I think that is the stat that counts, not his actual height....BTW, he was also listed at 230 lbs, is that close or is he really 195?
I have no idea on his weight,but like you said, it's more about how they play. He is a good player, but we had all the wings we needed and just thought he was too small to defend well against bigger post players. He will probably do well for EWU. They have a total rebuild going on. He is a lot like the two forwards who just transferred out of UM.

It looks like UNCo has filled out their roster with a couple of Transfer big men. One is a 6'10'' PF tranfer from San Jose State. He looks like a servicable post who can step out and make a 3. He was a rotational player at SJSU, averaging 11 minutes per game, 3 points and 2 rebounds, for a 9-23 team. The other one is a 6'9'' forward from a JC in Florida. He looks like a 3/4 combo guy who can shoot it from 3.

I think this fills them up and it looks like they will be as strong as ever.

And another one off the board that we thought was realistic. I got 2 guys circled that I think we may have a shot at just based on who the coaches are following. Kiree Huie at Idaho State has all the assistant coaches except for Anderson Clarke following him, and Jackson Grant at Utah State who was committed to the cats last year before Sprinkle left has Reuben Williams and Jay Flores following him. Typically the more coaches following a guy, the likelier we are to land them.

If it's neither of these guys, then it will probably be somebody from the D2 or JUCO level. I'm not wild about JUCO's as those guys unless they're D1 bounce backs, tend to really be a mixed bag and recently they have not worked out well for us.

Praying to God that we get at least 1 of the 2 guys mentioned above. I'd feel really good about our team next year if we were to land either or both of them.

And another one off the board that we thought was realistic. I got 2 guys circled that I think we may have a shot at just based on who the coaches are following. Kiree Huie at Idaho State has all the assistant coaches except for Anderson Clarke following him, and Jackson Grant at Utah State who was committed to the cats last year before Sprinkle left has Reuben Williams and Jay Flores following him. Typically the more coaches following a guy, the likelier we are to land them.

If it's neither of these guys, then it will probably be somebody from the D2 or JUCO level. I'm not wild about JUCO's as those guys unless they're D1 bounce backs, tend to really be a mixed bag and recently they have not worked out well for us.

Praying to God that we get at least 1 of the 2 guys mentioned above. I'd feel really good about our team next year if we were to land either or both of them.
I'd take a JUCO carbon copy of Lalou Oke any day.

Back