• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#37 What's up with n announcement?

kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
“What” a tradition!

On the university’s official roster, #17’s home town is listed as the same town “where” said university is located.

And he’s already won a prestigious BSC award.

And his Dad is the HC.

And his uncle started the tradition. I know it started on O with Paulson but that’s not the point—it’s the handing-it-down part that makes the tradition. Timmy was 1st and probably the best. “Why?” Because he was Mutha F’n awesome. The tradition doesn’t exist if Timmy doesn’t rock it, and basically everyone since.

So you’re focusing on history but not the actual “precedent” or whatever the hell it’s called. The new recipient is chosen by the last player to don the number. Mr. Simms gets to pick, not us. That’s the “how.”

But the last transition was announced at the spring scrimmage under quite the pomp and fanfare. That may help address the likely “when.” I think it was about to happen until the pandemic hit.

As for the “who”?—that issue is premature for #17. “Next season”, if you want to argue between #17, #14, and #58 (or another), we can cross that walking-bridge when we get there. I would like to see how “this season” goes first, although there seems to be a leader in the clubhouse.
I think Jacob McGourin has a #37 in his future.
Oops, forgot he played HS football at Cheney.

Sorry guys. No one on egriz is the judge and /or jury. As much as you would like to, no one on a social networking site can interpret or make any rules concerning number 37. There is no governing doctrine that requires anybody to follow any written rules when it comes to awarding number 37. It’s simply a tremendously beautiful and sacred tradition. Any requirements pertaining to that tradition are determined internally by the team.

bozono said:
Sorry guys. No one on egriz is the judge and /or jury. As much as you would like to, no one on a social networking site can interpret or make any rules concerning number 37. There is no governing doctrine that requires anybody to follow any written rules when it comes to awarding number 37. It’s simply a tremendously beautiful and sacred tradition. Any requirements pertaining to that tradition are determined internally by the team.

what this dude said.

bozono said:

This is mostly a great statement, but are you sure there is no outside influence beyond the team or #37 that supposedly does the picking? I'd like to believe this is true but maybe it's not this season? Just some food for thought.

There is no question Jace Lewis should wear #37. Being a Montana native myself, I would love to see it on a small town Class B kid. Then Jace can pass it on to Garrett Graves, who was the very next (2x) Class B State Champion QB after Lewis. Couple of tough Montana kids right there!

reinell30 said:
kemajic said:
It will be Jace

Kemajic has it correct! Jace Lewis will wear #37 the next time the Griz take the field for a real game!

Must have missed that announcement..how do you know this if you don’t mind sharing?

So....We still have to wait until after one of our presumed spring games to find out? That is usually tradition. The suspense!

So I'm a thinking we need some Lawyer's discussing the precedent of "37" in legal terms!

406 said:
There is no question Jace Lewis should wear #37. Being a Montana native myself, I would love to see it on a small town Class B kid. Then Jace can pass it on to Garrett Graves, who was the very next (2x) Class B State Champion QB after Lewis. Couple of tough Montana kids right there!

Isn't the 37 earned by what a MT player does on the field as a Griz on the defensive side of the ball. Don't think high school should hsve anything to do with it. Multiple MT kids should be in the running as much as or more than Graves. Deming, McGinnis, Hill, Welnel, others?

I know it has been defensive players that have had it since the tradition started but it was started by an offensive player so is there anything that would prohibit an offensive player from wearing #37? looking back funny someone like Chase Reynolds wasn't wearing it.

I mean, if you want a relative of Hauck to get #37, there is one on the roster that was born and raised in Missoula.

PlayerRep said:
406 said:

Isn't the 37 earned by what a MT player does on the field as a Griz on the defensive side of the ball. Don't think high school should hsve anything to do with it. Multiple MT kids should be in the running as much as or more than Graves. Deming, McGinnis, Hill, Welnel, others?
2021: Lewis
2022: Hauck or O'CONNELL
2023: Hill

retiredpopo said:
I know it has been defensive players that have had it since the tradition started but it was started by an offensive player so is there anything that would prohibit an offensive player from wearing #37? looking back funny someone like Chase Reynolds wasn't wearing it.

Chase was offered #37 but declined.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
2021: Lewis
2022: Hauck or O'CONNELL
2023: Hill

Sound prediction. I like these. More 37 predictions for the next three years!

Back