• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

#37 What's up with n announcement?

I would like to see them award #37 to a R-Fr or Soph....I know the discussion in the past has brought up past #37's and who were Jr's/Sr's and who were younger, but I've always liked the idea of the "up-and-comer" more than the "MT MVP for the next year or two". That's what conferences and whatnot do, award pre-season, season, and post-season awards. I think #37 could go to someone like Graves, a R-So who so far I think has proven the toughness past #37's have shown.

#15 Fan said:
I would like to see them award #37 to a R-Fr or Soph....I know the discussion in the past has brought up past #37's and who were Jr's/Sr's and who were younger, but I've always liked the idea of the "up-and-comer" more than the "MT MVP for the next year or two". That's what conferences and whatnot do, award pre-season, season, and post-season awards. I think #37 could go to someone like Graves, a R-So who so far I think has proven the toughness past #37's have shown.
100% agree.

There were seven #37 players between 1987 - 2010.
We're now on our seventh #37 player since 2011.

uofmman1122 said:
#15 Fan said:
100% agree.

Recall that Carson Bender received 37 then got injured and couldn't play again. He kept the jersey the entire time until he graduated when it was passed down. Then things changed shortly thereafter. Under the old terms, less than four year recipients like Ryan Fetherston, Jesse Sims, Jordan Tripp, Zach Wagenmann, and Tucker Schye likely would not have got the jersey unless the opportunity was there when they were freshmen. These are all deserving players in my opinion and I'm glad they are part of the history.

go96griz said:
uofmman1122 said:
100% agree.

Recall that Carson Bender received 37 then got injured and couldn't play again. He kept the jersey the entire time until he graduated when it was passed down. Then things changed shortly thereafter. Under the old terms, less than four year recipients like Ryan Fetherston, Jesse Sims, Jordan Tripp, Zach Wagenmann, and Tucker Schye likely would not have got the jersey unless the opportunity was there when they were freshmen. These are all deserving players in my opinion and I'm glad they are part of the history.
Yeah, it also coincided with the university deciding to heavily market it, too.

I could also make the case for a ton of Montana-born players before 2010 who deserved it, but didn't get it.

I'm just saying that the spirit of the tradition isn't what it used to be, and it's become, like #15 Fan said, more of a marketing-focused, pre-season accomplishment for upper-classmen than a legacy tradition, IMO.

dayday said:
I wonder if this is going to be announced anytime soon since it is game week.

Maybe, just like beating the scats, Hauck has decided to do away with this tradition also.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself :cool: .

alabamagrizzly said:
dayday said:
I wonder if this is going to be announced anytime soon since it is game week.

Maybe, just like beating the scats, Hauck has decided to do away with this tradition also.

Sorry, couldn’t help myself :cool: .

Damn, I hated this post and it made me laugh. Curse you Bama, well played. :clap:

If you really want to know who will wear #37, go to where the game programs are printed and read it, then dutifully report it to us, and the world. You don't have to be Clouseau, just be a Columbo.

What if they don't have anyone wearing #37 for the Spring games and wait until Fall season to make an announcement?

My preferred way...no #37 during warm ups then a #37 runs out of tunnel with a flag at start of the game with the players info popping up on the big screen. Like the throwbacks trick...be a cool way to do it. Since this is an actual game and not a scrimmage it would make sense to have the person wear it.

alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:
What's insane is to consider a boy who spent only his age 4-10 years in MT, never playing football in the state until at UM, to have grown up in MT and a candidate for #37 just because his uncle wore it and his dad is HC.

So, for arguments sake, where does it say specifically that the #37 candidate must be born in Montana. The only guideline I can find is that they must “hail” from Montana and by definition, hail means a place of birth or residence. Please set me straight.

How much weight does Kraig Paulson carry?
He’d prefer it stay with a Montana-born player.
https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/37-for-37-inside-the-rise-dominance-and-meaning-of-montanas-no-37-jersey-now/article_51882d35-dde1-5afc-bc6f-b0492dd0dc34.html

This topic has morphed into the unbelievable. It originated to MAKE a tradition, where there was none before. Bastardizing the process cheapens the intent. Make a new tradition. Don't f*ck up a now established one. I'm as pro-Bobby as they come, but this shit is ridiculous, and typically eGriz.

MikeyGriz said:
What if they don't have anyone wearing #37 for the Spring games and wait until Fall season to make an announcement?

Oceans will boil over and mountains will crumble, or just another Tuesday on eGriz.

Game Notes are out and no 37 listed so they may not announce it until the fall. Good grief.

https://gogriz.com/documents/2021/4/6/UM_CWU_NOTES.pdf

Back