• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Alex Germer......A Bobcat?

HookedonGriz said:
wyomingriz said:
You get a Missoula kid who grew up a Grizzly(father is a football coach) who is going over the mountain to play for a program on the rise which I find embarrassing ...Also a kid who has size and can shoot which we lack as a team. Instead you want another 2 star recruit from Cali who may or may not be here in a couple years

Don’t feed the trolls. Another cats fan posing as a Griz. The dead give away is when he said the cats program is on the rise.....I didn’t known losing like 5 straight (blowouts in there too) crossed into that territory

The TD protectors calling someone who who throws any salt a troll, very original... Keep guzzling the kool aid

Mousegriz said:
UMFan12 said:
Boy you really don’t comprehend well. I compared him to Hall DEFENSIVELY. Remember teams singling out Hall? That’d be Alex, except Alex isn’t even close to what Hall was offensively. Once again, DeCuire is going to recruit guys who can already defend. He’s seen how people who can’t defend pan out in his system, as should you, and has stayed away from them. He’ll be a 6’8 spot up shooter who gives you absolutely nothing when he isn’t hitting shots. I’m sure DeCuire isn’t losing sleep over this considering all he offered was a walk on spot. By the way, Gaskin was going to be all conference for 2 or 3 years, yet you knock the recruitment of him due to him making an off court mistake that DeCuire couldn’t have predicted? And by the way, how many games did the Cats win against us when they had Hall?

I obviously haven't watched all of Germer's games and didn't see all his AAU tournaments last summer like you did! I did watch him last year in a few games. Looked like a raw junior growing into his body. But a pretty polished shot and handled the ball well for a big kid. Not great on defense but didn't stand out as glaringly bad. Rollie Worster was bigger and stronger (not taller) but also looked to me a bit slow to defend guards at the D1 level. He seems to be doing OK so far. Why are you so certain Germer is only a spot up shooter and can't develop over the next 5 years?

I'm not here saying Germer is the biggest "miss" for Griz recruiting the past couple years. I'm saying with 12 or 13 full ride scholarships I'd take Germer over some of the no shows Griz have signed the past couple years.

Gaskin never even took the floor so "going to be all conference for 2 or 3 years" is a pretty big stretch. You were probably one of the guys touting Steadman as BSC MVP too. The game is played on the court not on the internet.

Several things seem pretty obvious. Germer isn't as big a Griz recruiting "miss" as Gaskin, Satterwhite, Clarke, Steadman....... and Henderson!

Great post!

I’m sure we will never hear the whole story because Travis plays his cards close to the vest but....admittedly I’ve not had the pleasure of watching either Rhett Reynolds or Alex Germer play so the following is pure conjecture on my part. Rhett plays at Shelby which I believe is Class B and the competition is not nearly as competitive as AA where Alex is in a more competitive situation. Again, not suggesting Rhett is less talented then Alex but competition at the AA level is. I’m sure Reynolds is a walk on but Germer was asked to walk on I’ve been told. I think Travis has really missed the opportunity to sign a local talent that will help fill some seats in Dahlberg. Give the kid, I don’t care if we’re talking Alex or Rhett, two years to develop his skills and if he doesn’t there are some very good teams in the Frontier that would love a 6’8” drop down that had been through Travis’s system and still had 3 years to play.
Ive been a big fan of Travis’s from day one but on this subject I would have to say he missed on this one big time. Time will tell. I hope Rhett and Alex both have successful careers.

wyomingriz said:
HookedonGriz said:
Don’t feed the trolls. Another cats fan posing as a Griz. The dead give away is when he said the cats program is on the rise.....I didn’t known losing like 5 straight (blowouts in there too) crossed into that territory

The TD protectors calling someone who who throws any salt a troll, very original... Keep guzzling the kool aid

Nope not a TD protector. It’s simple for me, if there’s one coach at the U of M (or in the big sky for that matter) that deserves some slack it’s Decuire. That dude has worked miracles here and has been a tremendous coach for Griz hoops. We will all miss him when he’s gone which may be sooner than later.

My issue was when you claimed the cats program is on the rise and you defend the Griz passing on Germer like he’s your own child. Please break down for me how that program is on the rise. Because they started out pretty good without playing anyone? Because they are on their way to another 5th or 6th place finish like they always do? Please enlighten me on this wyomincats....can’t wait.

Sport said:
I’m sure we will never hear the whole story because Travis plays his cards close to the vest but....admittedly I’ve not had the pleasure of watching either Rhett Reynolds or Alex Germer play so the following is pure conjecture on my part. Rhett plays at Shelby which I believe is Class B and the competition is not nearly as competitive as AA where Alex is in a more competitive situation. Again, not suggesting Rhett is less talented then Alex but competition at the AA level is. I’m sure Reynolds is a walk on but Germer was asked to walk on I’ve been told. I think Travis has really missed the opportunity to sign a local talent that will help fill some seats in Dahlberg. Give the kid, I don’t care if we’re talking Alex or Rhett, two years to develop his skills and if he doesn’t there are some very good teams in the Frontier that would love a 6’8” drop down that had been through Travis’s system and still had 3 years to play.
Ive been a big fan of Travis’s from day one but on this subject I would have to say he missed on this one big time. Time will tell. I hope Rhett and Alex both have successful careers.

This is where I line up too.

HookedonGriz said:
wyomingriz said:

Nope not a TD protector. It’s simple for me, if there’s one coach at the U of M (or in the big sky for that matter) that deserves some slack it’s Decuire. That dude has worked miracles here and has been a tremendous coach for Griz hoops. We will all miss him when he’s gone which may be sooner than later.

My issue was when you claimed the cats program is on the rise and you defend the Griz passing on Germer like he’s your own child. Please break down for me how that program is on the rise. Because they started out pretty good without playing anyone? Because they are on their way to another 5th or 6th place finish like they always do? Please enlighten me on this wyomincats....can’t wait.

My perception of Cats on rise is based on 2021 recruiting class and current roster that is fairly well balanced, don’t think that makes me a troll...I am frustrated with turnover last couple years and what I see as misses with local kids that don’t come along very often. Germer not my son, don’t even know him but have seen him play a couple times. Very disappointed with losing Rollie and Z and have direct know of how both went down.

For what it is worth I think TD is a solid coach in a program that should be at the top of a poor conference every year...

wyomingriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

My perception of Cats on rise is based on 2021 recruiting class and current roster that is fairly well balanced, don’t think that makes me a troll...I am frustrated with turnover last couple years and what I see as misses with local kids that don’t come along very often. Germer not my son, don’t even know him but have seen him play a couple times. Very disappointed with losing Rollie and Z and have direct know of how both went down.

For what it is worth I think TD is a solid coach in a program that should be at the top of a poor conference every year...
Boy you surely blindly love some Montana kids. I’m sorry, but “Z” is not anywhere close to a Division 1 scholarship player. What position do you think he could reasonably play at a D1 level better than the kids we have now? Even with all the turnover?

UMFan12 said:
wyomingriz said:

Boy you surely blindly love some Montana kids. I’m sorry, but “Z” is not anywhere close to a Division 1 scholarship player. What position do you think he could reasonably play at a D1 level better than the kids we have now? Even with all the turnover?

You are mildly right, i do love Montana kids. In Missoula area they don't come around often, could be a 10 yr drought before another comes along(hope not). When they do, i believe you have to take a chance on them like you do with the second half of your roster every year. Germer might have gone to MSU anyway because of school, i don't know. However, there should have been a scholly offered to keep him at home(there wasn't).

As far as being blind, I played, coached and recruited at NAIA level and if Z would have been at a JC he would have been a mid major sign. I watched Z play numerous times in last 4 years, he is way more than a just a scorer(distributes and rebounds). In all my years at this level he is the best i have seen not to mention his size, length and foot speed will transition well to pro level. If he stays healthy he will play overseas into his 30's. I believe he would be a 3 but could also play 1 or 2 at UM level if needed. It would have been a transition of course but he would have had a year of practice to get used to speed. Not saying he will get NBA shot but I believe he is better than Wiley was at this point.

I am sure you will make fun of NAIA ball because of your elite pedestal attitude... Go ahead.

wyomingriz said:
UMFan12 said:

You are mildly right, i do love Montana kids. In Missoula area they don't come around often, could be a 10 yr drought before another comes along(hope not). When they do, i believe you have to take a chance on them like you do with the second half of your roster every year. Germer might have gone to MSU anyway because of school, i don't know. However, there should have been a scholly offered to keep him at home(there wasn't).

As far as being blind, I played, coached and recruited at NAIA level and if Z would have been at a JC he would have been a mid major sign. I watched Z play numerous times in last 4 years, he is way more than a just a scorer(distributes and rebounds). In all my years at this level he is the best i have seen not to mention his size, length and foot speed will transition well to pro level. If he stays healthy he will play overseas into his 30's. I believe he would be a 3 but could also play 1 or 2 at UM level if needed. It would have been a transition of course but he would have had a year of practice to get used to speed. Not saying he will get NBA shot but I believe he is better than Wiley was at this point.

I am sure you will make fun of NAIA ball because of your elite pedestal attitude... Go ahead.
In no way is TDC ever asking a 6’6 guy to play PG. Not gonna happen. He’s a talented kid, but where does he fit? That’s the only problem. What does HE give that would be good enough to want him for one year while the young core develops chemistry? And where would he have fit in with out loaded roster 2-3 years ago? I think this is more of an issue of circumstance. Had his year transferring from Western been this year, I bet he gets a look. But instead, it was in the middle of us running through the big sky.

wyomingriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Fair enough, thanks for the reply. For what it’s worth I think sprinkle will be a good coach for them. But I think they still have a ways to go. I truly believe 100% TD will have the Griz back at the top sooner than many realize. They are one solid big man (not Steadman) away from being a contender.

HookedonGriz said:
wyomingriz said:

Fair enough, thanks for the reply. For what it’s worth I think sprinkle will be a good coach for them. But I think they still have a ways to go. I truly believe 100% TD will have the Griz back at the top sooner than many realize. They are one solid big man (not Steadman) away from being a contender.

Agreed, Cats have made a step forward this year with Sprinkle but have along ways to go before they are considered a contender.

UMFan12 said:
wyomingriz said:

In no way is TDC ever asking a 6’6 guy to play PG. Not gonna happen. He’s a talented kid, but where does he fit? That’s the only problem. What does HE give that would be good enough to want him for one year while the young core develops chemistry? And where would he have fit in with out loaded roster 2-3 years ago? I think this is more of an issue of circumstance. Had his year transferring from Western been this year, I bet he gets a look. But instead, it was in the middle of us running through the big sky.

I said "if needed" at 1 or 2 which they wouldn't have needed this year(plenty of points). I know, alot of ifs in this scenario that is gone and past, but i think he would have given them alot of what they are missing. There have been times this year where they have 4 points on floor at same time(if you count Vasquez) and might be arguably they're best lineup, but i think we know that won't win championships .

Z would give a mobile finisher at rim with size, would not have been enough to overcome lack of strong big man but would have helped

[/quote]
[/quote]

You just showed your ignorance of basketball. Darko-Kelly would be all Big Sky conference if he were playing at Montana or Montana State. He is a future pro. Think before you post.

[/quote]

You just showed your ignorance of basketball. Darko-Kelly would be all Big Sky conference if he were playing at Montana or Montana State. He is a future pro. Think before you post.
[/quote]
Boy you people sure do love reading. I then go on to say “he’s a talented kid, but it’s a fit issue.” Explain to me where he’d fit in that Griz roster 2-3 years ago when we were running through the Sky and had our scholarships filled? Did MSU show any interest? They’d make more sense to take a shot at a young guy given the time period. And as for being all conference, I highly doubt it. You gotta be part of one of the teams toward the top of the conference, and he simply wouldn’t have that chance here this year.

Since nobody has actually answered the initial question, I will shed some light. While Alex' dad Chad played for the Griz, Chad came from 3 Forks, and it was equally quite controversial that Chad went to UM instead of MSU-so what goes around, comes around I guess.

Been reading this thread, and will admit that I know nothing about the Montana kids being discussed here, or can give no opinion on whether Travis missed on offering one of these players. But my two cents is that it is sad when we can not discuss our rival school, MSU, and their possible rise in talent and success with their new head coach, without the discussion degrading into a Bobcat-hating thing. Let's be objective here and talk basketball and leave the venom towards the Bobcats alone. Whether the Bobcats program has improved will be determined on the court, not in an internet discussion.

hunt-ducks said:
Been reading this thread, and will admit that I know nothing about the Montana kids being discussed here, or can give no opinion on whether Travis missed on offering one of these players. But my two cents is that it is sad when we can not discuss our rival school, MSU, and their possible rise in talent and success with their new head coach, without the discussion degrading into a Bobcat-hating thing. Let's be objective here and talk basketball and leave the venom towards the Bobcats alone. Whether the Bobcats program has improved will be determined on the court, not in an internet discussion.

Good post!

Zirg said:
Since nobody has actually answered the initial question, I will shed some light. While Alex' dad Chad played for the Griz, Chad came from 3 Forks, and it was equally quite controversial that Chad went to UM instead of MSU-so what goes around, comes around I guess.

Point is Alex was not offered at UM, if he was I would agree with your statement. Fairly sure his dad was offered by both and had a choice

hunt-ducks said:

Yet oddly, here you are, having an internet discussion about msu on an internet chatroom designed specifically for that purpose. :roll:

Back