• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Basketball Coaching Carousel

DPGriz said:
grizbro said:
Didn’t UCLA hire Ben Howland from NAU...not a “big name” coach but from the Big Sky. Someone who did well for a bit but didn’t last. That’s a high-pressure job.

They hired Howland from Pitt. He had made the Sweet 16 and won the Big East his last two years there before going to UCLA.

Correct - he went from NAU to Pitt. I remember Pitt fans complaining about the hire - I told them they'd win the Big East and get to at least the Sweet 16 in 4 years - only took 3. Pitt hadn't been to the Sweet 16 in 30 years, Howland did it back-to-back

Mick Cronin of Cincinnati accepts the UCLA job. Poor UCLA, they looked even worse than Cal in their search for a new coach.

maroonandsilver said:
Mick Cronin of Cincinnati accepts the UCLA job. Poor UCLA, they looked even worse than Cal in their search for a new coach.

Very bad look - he's what, the 15th choice?

dbackjon said:
maroonandsilver said:
Very bad look - he's what, the 15th choice?
Actually, only about the third (that we know of):
https://www.latimes.com/sports/ucla...la-basketball-coach-hired-20190409-story.html

Rather a surprise, IMO, despite a salary bump from about $2.2 to $4 million (in a six-year deal). Cronin is from Cincy in a big way -- high school and college -- and has a lot of community involvement there. Apparently no ties whatsoever along the West Coast.

He is a damn good coach (74% winning percentage with the Murray State Racers, 68% overall), but I do not see him as a good "cultural" fit at UCLA. Aside from the "challenge" of resurrecting a "storied" program, you kinda wonder what other inducements were used to sweeten the pot. I'd say, at a minimum, that the Bruins had to include a hefty buyout on the promised $24 million if they decide to part ways early.

maroonandsilver said:

Yet they still got a much better coach. UCLA swung for the fences and it didn't work out. Cal drudged the swamp and got a stiff.

From what I recall seeing, Cincinnati played pretty tough, physical D. Be interesting to see how crazy the soft PAC12 officiating makes Cronin.

MissoulaMarinerFan said:
From what I recall seeing, Cincinnati played pretty tough, physical D. Be interesting to see how crazy the soft PAC12 officiating makes Cronin.
Cronin's big thing is his team's tough D, coupled with a deliberate (some would say, plodding) offense. But the Pac-12 has featured more defense in recent years -- think Oregon, which held opponents to less that 55 points in all but one of its last eight games (the only exception went into OT). So that part may not be too bad, although the Pac-12 may or not suit his "style" of defense.

The UCLA "faithful" will probably not be pleased with Cronin's offense ... until/unless they start winning a lot of games. Then they'll be glad to jump on the bandwagon.

UCLA sees itself a lot differently than outsiders see them. They are not afraid of cultural changes or the changing dynamics in the US. I have friends who retired from there yet keep in the "pipeline". There was talk of a woman coach being considered and it is a shame that it did not work out. The spirit of Jackie Robinson lives in Westwood.

IdaGriz01 said:
MissoulaMarinerFan said:
Cronin's big thing is his team's tough D, coupled with a deliberate (some would say, plodding) offense. But the Pac-12 has featured more defense in recent years -- think Oregon, which held opponents to less that 55 points in all but one of its last eight games (the only exception went into OT). So that part may not be too bad, although the Pac-12 may or not suit his "style" of defense.

The UCLA "faithful" will probably not be pleased with Cronin's offense ... until/unless they start winning a lot of games. Then they'll be glad to jump on the bandwagon.

Yeah, Ida I think we're on the same page. I was thinking how physical their defensive style is - he might struggle with that a bit in the softly officiated Pac12.

maroonandsilver said:
BYU will name Mark Pope of Utah Valley as their next head guy.
Officially announced in an AP release. Pope was an assistant under the previous coach (who retired) from 2011-2015 before he took the Utah Valley job.

Edit: Actually, it was announced last night, but just made it into our local rag. Did not recall Pope having been an assistant at BYU that recently.

Interesting item reprinted locally from the Pocatello newspaper. One of Mussellman's assistants at Nevada -- Gus Argenal -- is among the top three candidates for the Idaho State job. Not a particularly impressive resume, but apparently popular with the Nevada players, who went on Twitter to talk him up. Once Alford was brought in, it looks like all the old assistants are scrambling to make sure they have jobs come Fall. Implies that Alford may be planning to clean house (which would not be unusual, or surprising).

Latest posts

Back