• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Mens Transfer Tracker 2021-2022

Freddy Brown III in the portal. Not a surprise. He's off to graduate school. This was sort of telegraphed with his presence on Senior Night. Great kid and wish him well.

I’m actually kind of surprised that Brown entered the portal. He got that job with Boeing and I thought he was just gonna hang it up. Regardless, I really admire the kid. There aren’t many who would’ve stuck with it for 4 years like him, so I give him a lot of credit for that. I hope he lands somewhere he can get a lot of playing time at. Good luck Freddy.

Griz til I die said:
I’m actually kind of surprised that Brown entered the portal. He got that job with Boeing and I thought he was just gonna hang it up. Regardless, I really admire the kid. There aren’t many who would’ve stuck with it for 4 years like him, so I give him a lot of credit for that. I hope he lands somewhere he can get a lot of playing time at. Good luck Freddy.

Without knowing any specifics, I'd think a coach might have contacted him about exploring a grad transfer. He's got a tremendous amount of flexibility, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least that he ended up at Seattle University.

So far NCAA wide:
339 Total Transfers

NCAA Leaders:
Alabama State - 11
Hartford-6
Texas Rio-Grande-6
Tennessee Tech-5
LMU-5
IUPUI-5
ETSU-5
Northeastern-5
Radford-5
Citadel-5

Hard telling in the BSC who might be hit hardest my transfers but my hunch ISU, UM, NAU are likely to have a few this year.

Before people go ape, there are a couple of issues at play or things to remember:

1. A lot of schools who normally recruited are going to have roster crunch. NCAA didn't change their roster allotment numbers and for many schools it is going to mean a large number of added transfers. Seniors can return for that extra year, but still have to be apart of that rostered 15 kids.
2. The portal no longer is a sign of program discontent. This is yearly free-agency, and players are free to explore, and it gives coaches and players the ability to come to an understanding of their role.

My hunch we are going to see a few of the walk-ons (considering Travis is bringing at least two more or rumored to have) depart quickly. Kreigmont is already gone as has been for a while (pulled him off the roster around mid-year and i would suspect for a lot of those players. I think the hope was was for Wetzel and Lawrence that they would fill much needed length on the perimeter, but never saw any amount of significant playing time this year. With who they have coming in, we might see two or three in the portal soon.

Just a hunch.

GrizWhiz said:
Jack Wetzel is now in the portal per VerbalCommits.

Not surprising. Was given the opportunity to come in an get playing time and wasn't able to get a foothold on a roster that was pretty shallow at his position. Had some hope that he might be a diamond in the rough, but with the addition of Nap on Scholarship and Bateman as a WO, I just don't know if he would have ever got consistent minutes.

grizindabox said:
Mousegriz said:
But...but....but....we can't recruit any Montana kids to sit on the end of the bench as walkons?

I honestly don't get this outrage.

Mousegriz is outrage personified and a walking, talking exclamation point(!)

UncleRico said:
tgreseth said:
Mousegriz is outrage personified and a walking, talking exclamation point(!)

Kinda like the leader in the disgruntled parent section during high school games.

Griz may have been the worst team in the Big Sky Conference to end the season. You guys okay with that?

This was sort of predicted on the fact that Cameron was honored on Senior night. He wanted to explore options for graduate school opportunities outside of Missoula and he'll have no shortage of suitors for his game. We'll miss him as he was a dang great add by Travis.

Mousegriz said:
UncleRico said:
Kinda like the leader in the disgruntled parent section during high school games.

Griz may have been the worst team in the Big Sky Conference to end the season. You guys okay with that?

And more walk-on kids from Montana sitting on the end of the bench improves this how?

grizindabox said:
Mousegriz said:

And more walk-on kids from Montana sitting on the end of the bench improves this how?

Probably not much but what did Wetzel add this year? Maybe a few more fans for every home game...maybe a higher ceiling for skill improvement during their careers...maybe more donation dollars from fans that like to see Montana kids on the Montana roster.

This year's "roster" just posted one of the most miserable unenthused endings to a season in the past 40+ I've followed. How do more out of state walk ons that contribute nothing and leave after a season improve things?

Back