• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Mens Transfer Tracker 2021-2022

Trevante Anderson into the portal, the Junior Guard from Idaho, has likely 2 years left. Aside from Cameron Parker, this might be the biggest name into the portal. He'll attract a ton of attention, maybe even from Missoula.

Grizfan-24 said:
Trevante Anderson into the portal, the Junior Guard from Idaho, has likely 2 years left. Aside from Cameron Parker, this might be the biggest name into the portal. He'll attract a ton of attention, maybe even from Missoula.

No more guards! Keep in mind, Braggs will play next season. He's plenty talented. Let's not clutter the roster with more guards. It hampers the development of some. See Vazquez. His development have been hampered from too many guards.

Warren Washington, a fairly athletic 7'0'' from San Marcos, CA who ,Travis previously offered, who has had stints in Corvallis and now at Nevada is now in the portal again. He's exactly what Travis likes in a big, and I would expect that if he has any existing relationship you can expect Travis to contact him quickly to gauge his interest.

My hunch is Warren is looking to migrate back to the Pac12 after the year he had but this might another Christmas present in spring if we can somehow draw him to Missoula.

Grizfan-24 said:

High usage - low efficiency guard on an awful team that was able to put up numbers based on minutes and tempo. Plus, with Beasley/Whitney/Martin playing 30+mpg in my opinion it is unlikely the Griz would be attractive to him. He already spent 3 years at USF not playing and likely does not want an off-the-bench role.

If this is any indication, it looks like there will be less names in the portal this year. Obviously hard to monitor if there is a quality/quantity argument, but if I was guessing, I think just the numbers makes it likely there will not be as much talent to choose from, which means greater competition for difference makers (particularly Bigs):

"Monday, March 21 (2022) — at which point there were 481 names in the portal. By the end of the day, the portal saw its largest single-day spike yet, with more than 60 names added.

In 2021, more than 1,700 players hit the transfer market — a record we may never see eclipsed. Comparing the 2022 portal to where the 2021 portal was following the first round of the NCAA Tournament, the 2021 Portal was already nearing 800 names.

There are a variety of reasons for last season's astronomical numbers including more than 60 coaching changes, an extra year of eligibility granted to all players in college basketball and the sit-out rule washed clean, giving every player the option to transfer, even possibly for a second or third time. Because of the coaching changes and the rule changes that occurred last season, it's highly unlikely that we will ever see those numbers again."

I figured the transfer market was gonna cool down after a crazy year in 2021. There’s still good players out there, you just gotta work a little harder to find them. Plus I’d love to know how many of those 1,700 kids last year did not get picked up by a team.

Added 5 new departures from BSC schools including:

Stark (notable incoming transfer from Northern State last year) and Mahaney from NAU. Amato from Eastern Washington. But most significantly is another two transfers out of Moscow with local Gabe Quinnet transfering out along with Ethan Kilgore. Idaho has had 6 transfers, most in the last few days that follow the renewal of Claus's contract for next year. This very much has the feeling of a mutiny in how key rotational guys are vacating the program. Things are not well in Moscow.

We've had over a hundred new additions to the portal today and yesterday. Obviously off last years pace, but I'd expect the next two weeks to be peak departure time for prospective athletes.

NCAA leaders in departures so far:
Alabama State (11)
Hartford (9)
Green Bay (8)
IUPUI (7)
LaSalle (7)
Prairie View A&M (7)
Southern Miss (7)
Texas-Rio Grande Valley (7)
Western Carolina (7)
Ball State (6)
George Mason (6)
Idaho (6)
Loyola Marymount (6)
New Hampshire (6)
North Dakota State (6)
Radford (6)
Rhode Island (6)
South Dakota (6)
Tarleton State (6)
The Citadel (6)

GrizBall said:
If this is any indication, it looks like there will be less names in the portal this year. Obviously hard to monitor if there is a quality/quantity argument, but if I was guessing, I think just the numbers makes it likely there will not be as much talent to choose from, which means greater competition for difference makers (particularly Bigs):

"Monday, March 21 (2022) — at which point there were 481 names in the portal. By the end of the day, the portal saw its largest single-day spike yet, with more than 60 names added.

In 2021, more than 1,700 players hit the transfer market — a record we may never see eclipsed. Comparing the 2022 portal to where the 2021 portal was following the first round of the NCAA Tournament, the 2021 Portal was already nearing 800 names.

There are a variety of reasons for last season's astronomical numbers including more than 60 coaching changes, an extra year of eligibility granted to all players in college basketball and the sit-out rule washed clean, giving every player the option to transfer, even possibly for a second or third time. Because of the coaching changes and the rule changes that occurred last season, it's highly unlikely that we will ever see those numbers again."
All true, when you look at D1 only. As of today, the number of D1s is approaching 700. Last year's high numbers exceeded the number of D1 openings by quite a bit. Many D1 players slid to JCs or lower divisions. D11 players trying to transfer up has exploded this year. The total numbers trying to transfer into D1 are about the same as last year. I expect that we will be seeing this thing ripple out over several years. It has made spring recruiting very interesting and fall recruiting less important. In a way, it has made some aspects of recruiting harder and some easier. Some NCAA rules need to be modified to account for these new dynamics, IMHO.

[media]https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1506820245675122689?s=20&t=n574s5shliCLa95CO1DnyA[/media]

Montana offered Williams in high school. Could have 4 years of eligibility beyond this year. Hearing from a lot of programs.

Grizfan-24 said:
Hey folks we are approaching the end of the regular season and as such, it is time once again...(with love maybe) to start our Big Sky Conference Transfer Portal Tracker:

Rules: I'll chart departures (Grad Transfers, Transfers, Retirements, etc) and arrivals of incoming added transfers (but not including JC guys). If there are rumors about transfers I'll post them here as well.
Projected Roster 2022-23 (Bold=Returners, Italics= Newcomer, Underlined=Starters)
GUARDS
PG- Brandon Whitney (6'1-Junior) - Bishop Alemany, CA-HS (S)
PG- Isaiah Kerr (6-2 Freshman)- Mountain View, CA (St Francis HS) (S)
CG- Josh Vasquez (6-3- Senior) - Bishop Montgomery, CA-HS (S)
SG- Robby Beasley III (6-3- Junior) - Dublin,CA-HS (S)
SG- Johnny Braggs (6-3-Freshman) Bishop Gorman, NV-HS (S)
(Redshirted in 2021-22)

WINGS
W- Lonnell Martin Jr. (6-4 - Senior) Otero JC - TR (S)
W- Jaxon Nap (6-7- Freshman) Renton, WA (Hazen HS) (S)
W- Caden Bateman (6-7 Freshman) Missoula, MT (Big Sky) (W)

F- Trey Lawrence (6-5 S Junior) Snohomish WA- TR Bellevue CC (W)
F- Derrick Carter-Hollinger (6-5- Senior) Foothills Christian, CA- HS (S)

PF- Mack Anderson (6-9- Senior) Bozeman, MT-HS (S)
PF- Josh Bannan (6-9- Junior) Melbourne, AUS- HS (S)
PF- John Solomon (6-8- Freshman) Sarasota, FL - HS (W)
(Redshirted in 2021-22)
PF/C- Rhett Reynolds (6-9 Freshman) Shelby, MT (Shelby) (S)

Scholarships: 10 (Seniors (4): Vasquez, Anderson, Carter-Hollinger, Martin Juniors (3): Beasley III, Whitney, Bannan Sophomore (0), Freshman (4): Braggs, Reynolds, Nap, Kerr)
Available: 2 or 3

Needs:
1. Center
2. Experienced Wing
3. Point Guard

The transfer targets are guys who might be because of need or prior relationship a potential fit for the program. Most of these are purley speculation, those in bold will be those with attached attribution.

MONTANA TRANSFER TARGETS:
Point Guards:
2S PG Taurus Samuels 6'1 190 (JR TR/2E)- Oceanside, CA- Dartmouth (MT offer out of high school)
2S PG Trevante Anderson 6'1'' 180 (JR TR/2E)- Seattle, WA-Idaho (Montana Offer last year)
Wings (3/4):
2S SG Quincy Anderson 6'4'' 200 (JR TR/2E) - Minnesota State (DII)
2S SF Caleb Oden 6'5'' 170 (FR TR/3E)- Nevada- Dublin, CA (Some interest out of HS, no offer given)
3S SG Alec Oglesby 6'5'' 170 (FR TR/3E)- UNCW (Some interest in transfer market in 2021)
2.5 SG Joseph Octave 6'3'' 180 (FR TR/3E) -Air Force (Montana offer in HS)
2S SG D'maurian Williams 6'5'' 195 (FR TR/3-4E- Gardner Webb (Montana offer in HS)- Jake Leiberman (3-23-22)
4S SG Marcus Tsohonis 6'3'' 190 (So TR/3E)- Washington via VCU (Montana offer in HS)
3S PF Kendal Munson 6'7'' 220 (FR TR/3E)- Pepperdine (Montana offer in HS)
2S C Assane Diouf 7'2'' 250 (JR TR/1E or 2E) - Austin Peay, formerly of Fresno State (some interest last spring and potential fit for need)
4S C Isaiah Cottrell 6'10'' 245 (FR TR/3E)- West Virginia (Vegas kid, but likely headed to Power 5 or Group of 5 conference)
3S C Keenan Fitzmorris 7'0'' (SO GT/2E)- Stanford (Kansas native, TDC has a track record for going after pac12 drop downs)
2S C Lahat Thioune 6'10'' (JR T/2E)- Utah
3S C Warren Washington 7'0'' (RS SO/2E)- Nevada and previously Oregon State. Travis offered Warren in High School and was an absolute stud in high school.
4S C Issac Johnson 7'0'' 235 (FR TR/3E) - University of Oregon. Tons of offers from regional schools. Travis has a good relationship with the UO coaching staff.
2S PF Dischon Thomas 6'8'' 235 (SO TR/3E)- Colorado State. Montana offered Dischon out of high school.

TRANSFER TRACKER:

EASTERN WASHINGTON: (3/0)

Outgoing:
2S PG Isaiah Amato (6'5'' 175) (FR/4E) - (3-23-22)
2S PF Victor Radocaj (6'9'' 220) (FR/TR/4E)- (3-23-22)
2S C Makai Richards (6'10'' 225) (FR/TR/3E)- (3-23-22)
Incoming:
IDAHO: (6/0)
Outgoing:
2S-PF/C Tanner Christensen (6'10'' 260) (So GR 3E)
2S-PG Kendall McHugh (SO PG 2E) - (3-14-22)
2S-PF/C Phillip Pepple Jr (6'10'' 230) -(3-21-22) Formerly of Casper College (WY)
2S-PG Trevante Anderson (6'1'' 180) - (3-22-22) Formerly of San Francisco
2S-SG Gave Quinnett (6'4'' 200)(So TR 2E) -(3-23-22)
2S-SG Ethan Kilgore (6'5'' 210) (FR TR/3E)- (3-23-22)
Incoming:
IDAHO STATE: (1/1)
Outgoing:
2S-PF/C Gedeon Buzangu (6'8'' 230) (Jr Tr 1E)
Incoming:
3.5S C Kolby Lee (JR TR 2E)- Dixie State University (1-22-22)
MONTANA: (4/0)
Outgoing:
2S-SG Freddy Brown III (S SO GT-2E) - (3-14-22)
2S-SF Kyle Owens (S JR TR- 2E)- (3-14-22)
2S-SG Jack Wetzel (WO FR TR - 3E)- (3-15-22)
2S-PG Cameron Parker (S SR GT-1E)- (3-16-22)
Incoming:
MONTANA STATE: (0/0)
Outgoing:
Incoming:
NORTHERN ARIZONA: (4/0)
Outgoing:
2S SG Robert Hutchens (FR)
2S SF Ajang Aguek (6'8'' 195) (So TR/ 2E)- (3/14/22)
2S PG Carter Mahaney (6'2'' 185) (FR TR/4E) - (3-23-22)
2S PG Mason Stark (6'2'' 180) (JR TR/1E)- (3-23-22)
Incoming:
NORTHERN COLORADO: (0/0)
Outgoing:
Incoming:
PORTLAND STATE: (3/0)
Outgoing:
2S SG Kiimani Holt (6'4'' 220) (FR/TR/3E)- (3-18-22) *Former Montana Offer**
2S PG Alexis Angeles (6'2'' 185) (JR/TR/2E)-(3-18-22)
2S PG Paris Dawson (6'2 165) (FR/TR/4E) - (3-18-22)
2S SG Marlon Ruffin (6'5'' 195) (JR/TR/1E)- (3-23-22) Former Nebraska-Omaha player
Incoming:
SACRAMENTO STATE: (2/0)
Outgoing:
2S PF Samaad Hector (JR TR/2E) - Central Washington University
2S SG Akili Evans (FR TR/3E)- (3-16-22)
Incoming:
WEBER STATE: (0/0)
Outgoing:
Incoming:

https://twitter.com/hoopscoopmedia/status/1507863357948276738?s=21&t=5XCP7Lvnp_IM8vxMVdIkeQ

https://twitter.com/transfertapes/status/1507749222900289542?s=21&t=1V_7qMZS77unNsSR8gNzmw

https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1508220563067531264?s=21&t=Kn3VLAKjX7za6Ush-Y0XZg

ordigger said:
https://twitter.com/jakelieberman2/status/1508220563067531264?s=21&t=Kn3VLAKjX7za6Ush-Y0XZg

I am A-okay with Oke! That was terrible I know but he strikes from the little I watched/read as someone that would fit in perfectly with what we have and what we need.

No clue whether Montana would be interested, but a pair of twins (6-9 and 6-10) just hit the portal out of Rhode Island would immediately solve Montana's lack of big man heft. Feels like a buy one and get one free type of deal.

Makhi Mitchell and Makhel Mitchell are RS SO's, former 4 star recruits, and have three years of eligibility left.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1508555246624251916?s=20&t=cBTf7FbujgFPWld5j4gB1w
Huge loss for UNC to the portal today. He was the only starter set to return for UNC according to Brett Hein who covers Weber hoops.

https://twitter.com/RoccoMiller8/status/1508545120538226688?s=20&t=zVaVdmkqLekXkXitQaVrdQ
Nice pickup out of the portal for ISU. I don't remember which kid this is from when the Griz played Santa Clara, but nonetheless I think he'll do well at ISU.

Griz til I die said:
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1508555246624251916?s=20&t=cBTf7FbujgFPWld5j4gB1w
Huge loss for UNC to the portal today. He was the only starter set to return for UNC according to Brett Hein who covers Weber hoops.

Sweet, let's get him. He's a solid rebounder and interior defender.

Back