• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky/ FCS Football today

DoubleNicks said:
uofmman1122 said:
https://youtu.be/0tnKNeltGhg?t=172

Kind of off-topic, but another weird call to me is at the 3:15 mark of that video (assuming the refs made the right call according to the rule book). If Andrew Badger had blocked the punt out of the back of the endzone, it would've been a safety, isn't that right? So, just because the punter was last to touch it, it was ruled a touchback? Difference of 2 free points and possession (of a punt shortened field) versus just possession at the opponents' 20 or wherever.
It wasn't a touchback. You aren't allowed to kick the ball twice in one play, so it was a penalty on NAU from the spot where he kicked it into the endzone. If he had bat it out with his hands, it would have been a safety for us.

We got the ball on the 1, then had a personal foul penalty that pushed us way back, so we settled for the fieldgoal.

See the Griz are 0 - 1 after last weekend's games. And EWU apparently didn't play.

https://bigskyconf.com/standings.aspx?standings=111&path=football

Mousegriz said:
See the Griz are 0 - 1 after last weekend's games. And EWU apparently didn't play.

https://bigskyconf.com/standings.aspx?standings=111&path=football

Conference office got my message and fixed the standings. They had Portland State and Griz both losing over the weekend. Problem with their "submitted files" apparently....and also apparently no one in the office "proofs" the standings before they are posted. Somehow someway the "submitted files" got fixed real quick after I pointed it out the mistakes to them.

Wish they could fix the basketball reffing that fast!

uofmman1122 said:
DoubleNicks said:
Kind of off-topic, but another weird call to me is at the 3:15 mark of that video (assuming the refs made the right call according to the rule book). If Andrew Badger had blocked the punt out of the back of the endzone, it would've been a safety, isn't that right? So, just because the punter was last to touch it, it was ruled a touchback? Difference of 2 free points and possession (of a punt shortened field) versus just possession at the opponents' 20 or wherever.
It wasn't a touchback. You aren't allowed to kick the ball twice in one play, so it was a penalty on NAU from the spot where he kicked it into the endzone. If he had bat it out with his hands, it would have been a safety for us.

We got the ball on the 1, then had a personal foul penalty that pushed us way back, so we settled for the fieldgoal.
I stand corrected and learned something new today. You can't ever kick the ball unless it is a punt, drop kick, or place kick, I didn't know that. uofmman, I salute you. :clap:

SaskGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

I stand corrected and learned something new today. You can't ever kick the ball unless it is a punt, drop kick, or place kick, I didn't know that. uofmman, I salute you. :clap:
I'm sorry, I think I was wrong, I'm not actually sure if the rule is kicking twice, but there is an "illegal touching" rule that I think applied in this scenario.

uofmman1122 said:
SaskGriz said:
I'm sorry, I think I was wrong, I'm not actually sure if the rule is kicking twice, but there is an "illegal touching" rule that I think applied in this scenario.
No, you were right, in that a ball can not be kicked intentionally at any time, other than in one of the three prescribed ways. I looked it up and it's rule IR 6-1-2-1 (Which sounds like a tax code violation) A blocked punt can be collected and punted a second time if it didn't cross the line of scrimmage. (So you could have two kicks on one play, and this apparently happened in a Montana high school game, but pretty unlikely)

SaskGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:
No, you were right, in that a ball can not be kicked intentionally at any time, other than in one of the three prescribed ways. I looked it up and it's rule IR 6-1-2-1 (Which sounds like a tax code violation) A blocked punt can be collected and punted a second time if it didn't cross the line of scrimmage. (So you could have two kicks on one play, and this apparently happened in a Montana high school game, but pretty unlikely)
Yeah, that definitely makes more sense.

Considering the game, I'm shocked the refs didn't screw it up lol

I remember this game, and particularly the miracle catch to win it, and thinking afterward how CJ Atkins should get a check from the BSC for bailing them out.

garizzalies said:
I remember this game, and particularly the miracle catch to win it, and thinking afterward how CJ Atkins should get a check from the BSC for bailing them out.

That would mean they would have to admit they made a mistake.

They did. They later did come out and have to admit they blew the safety call.

And CJ saved their asses because it almost determined the outcome

garizzalies said:

Ref got suspended.

https://mohavedailynews.com/news/87547/big-sky-conference-suspends-referee/

uofmman1122 said:
garizzalies said:

Ref got suspended.

Well ok then, that don’t happen too often.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:
Ref got suspended.

Does that mean the ref from last week that missed an EWU field goal will be suspended? I'd give him more than a game considering he missed the ball going through the uprights live, and then reviewed it and missed the ball going through the uprights upon replay. :?

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Does that mean the ref from last week that missed an EWU field goal will be suspended? I'd give him more than a game considering he missed the ball going through the uprights live, and then reviewed it and missed the ball going through the uprights upon replay. :?

I wonder if the guy who gave Choach a timeout DURING A PLAY ever got punished. There was also one where they reviewed and reversed a call from two plays earlier. Anyone remember that one? I think it was a playoff game.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

I wonder if the guy who gave Choach a timeout DURING A PLAY ever got punished. There was also one where they reviewed and reversed a call from two plays earlier. Anyone remember that one? I think it was a playoff game.
I think it was the Coastal Carolina game but a combination of negative temperatures and positive snake consumption makes my recall radar a tad off.

SaskGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I think it was the Coastal Carolina game but a combination of negative temperatures and positive snake consumption makes my recall radar a tad off.

Everybody say you best in snakes.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

:lol:

That was a GREAT day. Missoulians got me pretty tuned up that night. :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Missed the call because replay camera didin't go up high enough to show the ball going through the uprights. But did show the official not looking up because he was too busy adjusting his mask!

Latest posts

Back