• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Choate

cmtgrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
It is strange to hear so much about what he's "building" but not see any results, or hear anything tangible save for off-season musings about scary goodness. Jess might indeed be a savior for MSU, but I'd have an easier time believing Cat fans if they just admitted that he has to show it in the form of wins, fast.

For example:
What will 4-7 in 2018 with a win over the Griz get Choach?
What about 5-6 with a loss to the Griz?
Will the early extension still look like a great move in either instance?

Well according to the article over on Cat Nation about the Bobcat coaches tour of the state...he says in the article that beating the Griz is literally the only thing that matters to cat fans.....sooo probably and extension again.

The Choat-led team can go 1-10 every year and as long as that one win is against the griz...he would stay there for life.

I don't read Bobcat Nation, so I haven't seen that article. If Choatch said that, the early extension would make perfect sense. It's completely fine if they only care about the Griz game. Otherwise, I'm scratching my head on them not wanting to wait to see how this year shakes out before negotiating.

Who knows? Maybe the admin at MSU truly believe as some of the MSU faithful do that Choate is on the verge of greatness and don't want to negotiate with him after he wins the (*) National Championship next year. :eek:

*Preseason

CDAGRIZ said:
KoolMoeDee said:
https://skylinesportsmt.com/seizing-the-momentum-bobcat-athletics-markets-vision-for-growth-during-rural-road-trip-2/

Thanks, KMD.

"[T]he common sentiment among Bobcat enthusiasts remains the same: beat the Grizzlies and all is well."

It explains a ton. Thank you for linking it.

You're welcome. You can thank Colter for that observation.

KoolMoeDee said:
CDAGRIZ said:
KoolMoeDee said:
https://skylinesportsmt.com/seizing-the-momentum-bobcat-athletics-markets-vision-for-growth-during-rural-road-trip-2/

Thanks, KMD.

"[T]he common sentiment among Bobcat enthusiasts remains the same: beat the Grizzlies and all is well."

Very true. He has had his finger on the pulse of Bobcat fans for a decade(?), and this is no different. It explains why hope springs eternal, and why early extentions of losing HCs are execued and celebrated.

The alleged "poll" on Bobcat Nation saying they would rather beat the Griz than make the playoffs underscores the point: "Beat the Griz, and all is well." It was pretty solid reporting.

CDAGRIZ said:
KoolMoeDee said:
CDAGRIZ said:
KoolMoeDee said:

Thanks, KMD.

Very true. He has had his finger on the pulse of Bobcat fans for a decade(?), and this is no different. It explains why hope springs eternal, and why early extentions of losing HCs are execued and celebrated.

The alleged "poll" on Bobcat Nation saying they would rather beat the Griz than make the playoffs underscores the point: "Beat the Griz, and all is well." It was pretty solid reporting.

You guys aren't the sharpest tacks in the pack. Direct quote from Choate, about the Choate-led cats:

"But if we think that win is all that matters, we are missing the mark. It’s important but we want more.”

poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
KoolMoeDee said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Thanks, KMD.

You guys aren't the sharpest tacks in the pack. Direct quote from Choate, about the Choate-led cats:

"But if we think that win is all that matters, we are missing the mark. It’s important but we want more.”

Did he participate in the poll on bobcat nation?

KoolMoeDee said:
Does anybody else see the irony in bobcat coaches and ad touring the state in a Maroon Suburban???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
KoolMoeDee said:

E-fucking-xcatly.
Choach has to say that. The fan base, and thus, the check signers, clearly think differently.
Absolutely no objective reason for the early extension otherwise. None.

Mousegriz said:
bigsky33 said:
Hauck was a failure at UNLV. I will take what Choate is building any day.

Hauck got UNLV to a 7 - 6 record in his 4th year there.....Croaked could be building towards something as unimaginable as that.....thus the early extension.
Good point. He did get them to a bowl game that year. I forget, though, what was the record his last year there? Was it 11-2 or do I have that flip flopped?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
Mousegriz said:
bigsky33 said:
Hauck was a failure at UNLV. I will take what Choate is building any day.

Hauck got UNLV to a 7 - 6 record in his 4th year there.....Croaked could be building towards something as unimaginable as that.....thus the early extension.
Good point. He did get them to a bowl game that year. I forget, though, what was the record his last year there? Was it 11-2 or do I have that flip flopped?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes, UNLV had only 2 wins in Hauck's last year. Contrast that to the 2 Bobcat conference wins in 2016.

The last 8 UNLV coaches, from the early 80's, have had losing records. The last bowl game prior to Hauck's was in 2000. The last winning records prior to Hauck's was 2000 and 1994. UNLV won more than 7 games in 2000 and 1984.

It's hard to win down there.

I will take what Hauck will build at UM, and what he did his last time at UM, any day.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

E-fucking-xcatly.
Choach has to say that. The fan base, and thus, the check signers, clearly think differently.

Wow. Some of you guys are really, really obsessed with the timing of Choate's extension. Don't worry about it. Most of Bobcat Nation knows what's coming with Choate, and we're ok with it. Just let it go and we'll see where the cards fall in 2018.

poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:

E-fucking-xcatly.

Wow. Some of you guys are really, really obsessed with the timing of Choate's extension. Don't worry about it. Most of Bobcat Nation knows what's coming with Choate, and we're ok with it. Just let it go and we'll see where the cards fall in 2018.

And some of you are obsessed with your rivals' web site, posting on here the first chance you get at 6:50 in the morning on a Wednesday you fucking cuckoo bird

HookedonGriz said:
poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

E-fucking-xcatly.

And some of you are obsessed with your rivals' web site, posting on here the first chance you get at 6:50 in the morning on a Wednesday you f***[*] cuckoo bird

:roll: East Coast, and I really care what you think about when I post.

cmtgrizzly said:
poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
poorgriz said:
On Defense, I don't see a position group where we won't be better. VIM, Colter, and others are much better at breaking down the specifics, one example from VIM below. On Offense, QB, OL, and TE are areas I would expect improvement. Yes, I believe Murray will be the starting QB unless Jensen really surprises. Murray is ahead of Rovig IMO. Regarding Bignell, tough player to replace even though he was undersized. Hell of a player. There is a logjam at LB and they are trying to figure out the rotation that will get the best players on the field. When you have players like Josh Hill, Troy Andersen, Brayden Konkol, Mike Jobman, and players like Kanow, Chapman, Gliman, and several others rotating in. LB will be a strength.

With Sparaco, we now have four viable options at Buck: Bryce Sterk, Grant Collins, Jacob Hadley, and Dante Sparaco. Pair that with three solid strong-side DE's in Derek Marks, Tyrone Fa'anono, and Marcus Ferriter and an interior group of Zach Wright, Tucker Yates, Chase Benson, and Elu Leota, I think we are looking at a very good defensive line. That doesn't include interior players who will still be developing like Travis Yates and Kyle Rygg. VIM

Of those linebackers, how much experience does the group have? I know Andersen is a star but even he is not all that experienced.

Enough. TA not so much but you don't move one of the best RB's in the conference to LB just for fun. Coached have said TA is an NFL caliber player at LB. Our Front 7 and overall D is looking like it will be a stout unit, the best in several years.

I have belief in Andersen. I just dont know anything about the rest of your defense to be honest. I try to watch you guys play as much as possible but I still dont recognize names and if they have been playing. Thanks for the input

Any time! And as I stated earlier, guys like VIM and Colter and others can break down all the player and position outlook much better than I can, would be curious to get VIMs take on how good he thinks out D is going to be in 2018.

Shortly after TG was hired I had a chance to talk to him over a couple beers. He was just getting settled into Bobcat Nation and had met all the players and watched some film. I asked him his initial impression. He said he wasn't going to sugar coat anything.... and said there was a "significant" talent gap with the defensive players between UM and MSU. He said it was going to take some time to build the defense. That talent gap is pretty much gone from what I can tell.

poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Of those linebackers, how much experience does the group have? I know Andersen is a star but even he is not all that experienced.

Enough. TA not so much but you don't move one of the best RB's in the conference to LB just for fun. Coached have said TA is an NFL caliber player at LB. Our Front 7 and overall D is looking like it will be a stout unit, the best in several years.

I have belief in Andersen. I just dont know anything about the rest of your defense to be honest. I try to watch you guys play as much as possible but I still dont recognize names and if they have been playing. Thanks for the input

Any time! And as I stated earlier, guys like VIM and Colter and others can break down all the player and position outlook much better than I can, would be curious to get VIMs take on how good he thinks out D is going to be in 2018.

Shortly after TG was hired I had a chance to talk to him over a couple beers. He was just getting settled into Bobcat Nation and had met all the players and watched some film. I asked him his initial impression. He said he wasn't going to sugar coat anything.... and said there was a "significant" talent gap with the defensive players between UM and MSU. He said it was going to take some time to build the defense. That talent gap is pretty much gone from what I can tell.

Should be fun for the next few years at least. I do like Choate and I do have a feeling that he is moving you guys into a good position. I do need to see objective results before I am really sold on him and I do understand some posters doubt in him given his W/L record. If he has another losing or near losing season next year I think Bobcat Nation's patience will evaporate even if they beat the Griz (kind of a been there done that thing).

My kids run track and so I have peripherally known about Andersen and that he would be great. How is L McCutcheon looking. He is also very fast (not quite Andersen fast) with good size. Will he start this year? Love the multi-sport kids who run track. There are a lot of them and alot of the athletes do run track at the end of the year. Our scouts like VIM, Howard and Payton should make some track meets. I like watching track meets but it is more fun when you know who at least some of the kids are. They would know alot of them.

poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
poorgriz said:

E-fucking-xcatly.

I'll admit that I'm really, really obsessed with the decision. It's maybe the most baffling decision I can remember, and I've just been trying to understand it. I'm not at all worried about it, however.

CDAGRIZ said:
poorgriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

E-fucking-xcatly.

I'll admit that I'm really, really obsessed with the decision. It's maybe the most baffling decision I can remember, and I've just been trying to understand it. I'm not at all worried about it, however.

CDA, it is common for UM grads to really, really obsess and be baffled by simple decisions. It is all part of attending a failing University. Maybe if you had attended the
State's flagship university, MSU, you would be in a much better position to figure this out. :lol: :clap:

cmtgrizzly said:
poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
poorgriz said:

Should be fun for the next few years at least. I do like Choate and I do have a feeling that he is moving you guys into a good position. I do need to see objective results before I am really sold on him and I do understand some posters doubt in him given his W/L record. If he has another losing or near losing season next year I think Bobcat Nation's patience will evaporate even if they beat the Griz (kind of a been there done that thing).

My kids run track and so I have peripherally known about Andersen and that he would be great. How is L McCutcheon looking. He is also very fast (not quite Andersen fast) with good size. Will he start this year? Love the multi-sport kids who run track. There are a lot of them and alot of the athletes do run track at the end of the year. Our scouts like VIM, Howard and Payton should make some track meets. I like watching track meets but it is more fun when you know who at least some of the kids are. They would know alot of them.

I think it would be tough for Lance to crack the starting lineup but who knows. Kassis is a lock to start, and with D'Agastino coming back from injury I assume he's a starter, and sounds like Willie Patterson lit it up this Spring and might land the starting position at slot. Not sure on all that though because it sounds like some young guys that red shirted coming up, and transfers turning heads too. Specifically Coy Steel. So Kassis is veteran, D'Agastino has a lot of reps but coming off injury, so there is probably going to be some youth there in the rotation. Looks like good talent there for a talented WR group but we'll have to wait and see how they perform on the field, and if Murray's passing has improved as it needs to.

poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:
poorgriz said:
cmtgrizzly said:

I think it would be tough for Lance to crack the starting lineup but who knows. Kassis is a lock to start, and with D'Agastino coming back from injury I assume he's a starter, and sounds like Willie Patterson lit it up this Spring and might land the starting position at slot. Not sure on all that though because it sounds like some young guys that red shirted coming up, and transfers turning heads too. Specifically Coy Steel. So Kassis is veteran, D'Agastino has a lot of reps but coming off injury, so there is probably going to be some youth there in the rotation. Looks like good talent there for a talented WR group but we'll have to wait and see how they perform on the field, and if Murray's passing has improved as it needs to.
There's a site you both should try http://www.bobcatnation.com/bobcatbb/viewforum.php?f=20&sid=76e72c102b68c2d168a0d7adfa8e5050 It's mostly bots but I think you'll like the content. :thumb:

Ah, spring! The lawns are waking up, the bitter winter wind has blown off most of the newer rust on the southeast bleachers and Coach Cheff Joate and the team have boarded the fire trucks for the parade to celebrate another preseason championship. This is truly the best time of year for football at Meow State.

As the candy corn dreams race thru their tiny little heads, one disturbing, pervasive and Intrusive thought keeps ruining it all, Bobby couldn't do it again, could he?

Ursa Major said:
Ah, spring! The lawns are waking up, the bitter winter wind has blown off most of the newer rust on the southeast bleachers and Coach Cheff Joate and the team have boarded the fire trucks for the parade to celebrated another preseason championship. This is truly the best time of year for football at Meow State university.

As the candy corn dreams race thru their tiny little heads, one disturbing, pervasive and Intrusive thought keeps ruining it all, Bobby couldn't do it again, could he?

No not ruined. Nobody cares about Bobby the failed UNLV coach now back home at a failing UM. Keep dreaming about long past glories.

Back