• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Covid Updates - Not Politics

nzone said:
horribilisfan8184 said:
Heard there is a new study out of Israel showing natural immunity provides 6-7 times greater protection than vaccines against reinfection. If true, getting the virus is helping the less fortunate receive better protection than the vaccines. Lemu, who's the humanitarian now? And if true then natural immunity, not vaccines, is the quickest path to ending this pandemic. And if true, then all you no admittance vaxxers should be banned from WGS until after your break through infection is defeated by your immune system. Mark my words they will look back in history and conclude the political choices on masking and shutting down society, schools, and businesses, and putting faith in fairly rapid deteriorating vaccine immunity, and not letting the virus take its natural course through the human population extended the pandemic and lead to variant after variant. Only arrogant humans would believe 15 years of human research trial and mostly error would be superior to 3 billion years of evolutionary immune system trial and error. Oh the hubris of the experts.

Link please.

Here you go.

https://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/309762

While I provided the link, it doesn't mean I am in 100% agreeance. As all things, I would like to see more data, especially since Britain has questioned Israel's results over other items like vaccine effectiveness against the Delta variant. If you were wondering, Britain has socialized medicine like Israel and keeps good records as well.

This to me only speaks to the specificity of the vaccine vs natural immunity. The vaccine only provides the spike protein, whereas natural immunity provide protection against the spike plus the nucleocapsid (viral structure that encapsulates the virus information) Simply put, natural immunity vs the mRNA vaccines provides more targets (epitopes) and more importantly, those targets that aren't under mutational pressure like the spike protein...meaning natural immunity SHOULD be able to handle variants better. Of course, are you in good enough shape rhat you are alright with catching COVID?

Now with all that being said, the vaccines seems to be doing what they were supposed to do. Keep those most susceptible from developing a bad case that can kill them. Amazing how this information has been out there from the start, but if you even mention the vaccine is non sterilizing, you're labeled an asshole. How about we just be happy there are options.

In regards to natural immunity vs vaccine, studies are showing two different routes in regards to process. I don't have the science chops to say one is better, especially when all that should matter is someone living through, if infected.

Many of the studies you hear about are still in preprint, which means they are simply for people to read. They have not been peer reviewed. I'm a big believer in the peer review process. How else are you going to know if you made wrong assumptions and/or conclusions?

Lastly, if you are waiting for a more traditional vaccine (attenuated virus), I understand the Novavax vaccine is the first one out with old school style. Hopefully approved by end of year.

Some of you clowns make this Wuhan flu sound like the black plague. U.S. death rate is 1.75% of covid cases(32.5 m cases, 613k deaths)and at that it's victims are elderly with cardiac, pulmonary, and immunity conditions. The FTD! And now there is a vaccine if you want it, unlike early in spread days.
There won't be carts being pulled by hand down empty streets, with the pullers shouting, "Bring out your dead!"
Note(8/3/21): Above figure corrected to percentage of cases. Death rate for overall population is 0.184%.

3-7-77 said:
Some of you clowns make this Wuhan flu sound like the black plague. U.S. death rate is 0.0175%, and at that it's victims are elderly with cardiac, pulmonary, and immunity conditions. The FTD! And now there is a vaccine if you want it, unlike early in spread days.
There won't be carts being pulled by hand down empty streets, with the pullers shouting, "Bring out your dead!"
You are the clown! Deaths have been of all ages. Most of the deaths have been age 50-85. So, are you saying they aren’t important and just write them off?

the virus goes home to wuhan: https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/china-orders-mass-testing-in-wuhan-as-covid-outbreak-spreads/2021/08/03/58a32a34-f42d-11eb-a636-18cac59a98dc_story.html

fanofzoo

RIP for those other percenters.
Meh, it’s only 32,500,000 Americans. :roll:

Now 3-7-77 will moan about lost tv fan revenue.
We need to stop for we can't fix stupid.

Well ya, there is that. But he will also bitch about getting shitty service at his favorite anti-mask, anti-vax bar and grill because there are no longer enough people to hire to serve him. And he will still freak out if you suggest we allow more refugees into the country to take their place. Can't make stupid happy either.

PhxGriz said:
nzone said:
Link please.

Here you go.

While I provided the link, it doesn't mean I am in 100% agreeance. As all things, I would like to see more data, especially since Britain has questioned Israel's results over other items like vaccine effectiveness against the Delta variant. If you were wondering, Britain has socialized medicine like Israel and keeps good records as well.

This to me only speaks to the specificity of the vaccine vs natural immunity. The vaccine only provides the spike protein, whereas natural immunity provide protection against the spike plus the nucleocapsid (viral structure that encapsulates the virus information) Simply put, natural immunity vs the mRNA vaccines provides more targets (epitopes) and more importantly, those targets that aren't under mutational pressure like the spike protein...meaning natural immunity SHOULD be able to handle variants better. Of course, are you in good enough shape rhat you are alright with catching COVID?

Now with all that being said, the vaccines seems to be doing what they were supposed to do. Keep those most susceptible from developing a bad case that can kill them. Amazing how this information has been out there from the start, but if you even mention the vaccine is non sterilizing, you're labeled an asshole. How about we just be happy there are options.

In regards to natural immunity vs vaccine, studies are showing two different routes in regards to process. I don't have the science chops to say one is better, especially when all that should matter is someone living through, if infected.

Many of the studies you hear about are still in preprint, which means they are simply for people to read. They have not been peer reviewed. I'm a big believer in the peer review process. How else are you going to know if you made wrong assumptions and/or conclusions?

Lastly, if you are waiting for a more traditional vaccine (attenuated virus), I understand the Novavax vaccine is the first one out with old school style. Hopefully approved by end of year.

Other studies support this as well. Natural immunity does appear to provide greater protection than the vax, as it is more encompassing. https://news.emory.edu/stories/2021/07/covid_survivors_resistance/index.html

I had COVID and a vax, so I should be bullet proof.

ranco said:
PhxGriz said:
Here you go.

Other studies support this as well. Natural immunity does appear to provide greater protection than the vax, as it is more encompassing. https://news.emory.edu/stories/2021/07/covid_survivors_resistance/index.html

I had COVID and a vax, so I should be bullet proof.

if you read down, the guy clearly says that he doesn't have the relevant knowledge to say if one is really better than the other. he hooked you, but let you go.

PhxGriz said:
Here you go.

addendum, sort of - the numbers given are that about .01% of people who had covid were re-infected, vs .06% of those who were vaccinated. obviously, it is a pretty small chance either way. if the study was well done and accepted by the scientific community, you could still question of why one would rather risk getting covid for that teeny tiny advantage of not being re-infected? seems like those taking the risk of having covid for the purpose of future 'greater immunity' would still not following logic.

Heard there is a new variant...resistant to current vaccines - Lambda.

Where is Warp Speed II? 16 days to bend the curve this time? Double masks? Wash hands with bleach? Shut the world down?

Damn, this thread could defintely use George Carlin's observations about the American public, religion, politicians, malls, voting, education and, well you know what he thought of everyone. What's funny is that he was correct.

https://youtu.be/KLODGhEyLvk

My paternal grandfather lived to 84. He was in his 70s when I was born. I don't remember any time he didn't have a 'high ball' or 'toddy' in his hand. Now that I think about it, 'happy grandpa' was well on his way to bedtime each time I saw him. He'd go through a fifth if wooskie in two days. Never very much sick a day in his life, then died.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The words 'a little,' 'a bit,' 'enough,' or 'heavily' are individual descriptive words for drinking. Works for me.

argh! said:
addendum, sort of - the numbers given are that about .01% of people who had covid were re-infected, vs .06% of those who were vaccinated. obviously, it is a pretty small chance either way. if the study was well done and accepted by the scientific community, you could still question of why one would rather risk getting covid for that teeny tiny advantage of not being re-infected? seems like those taking the risk of having covid for the purpose of future 'greater immunity' would still not following logic.

That oughta ignite some push back. :fuel:
Another great line quote, from 'Young Guns' or 'Young Guns II' (can't remember which), if used to decide on getting the vaxx or not:
"I'd rather drink turpentine and piss on a brushfire." :lol:

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Damn, this thread could defintely use George Carlin's observations about the American public, religion, politicians, malls, voting, education and, well you know what he thought of everyone. What's funny is that he was correct.

https://youtu.be/KLODGhEyLvk

Now that you've had time to listen to what a bunch of dumb asses we are, you ought to check out this one...

https://youtu.be/X29lF43mUlo

3-7-77 said:
My paternal grandfather lived to 84. He was in his 70s when I was born. I don't remember any time he didn't have a 'high ball' or 'toddy' in his hand. Now that I think about it, 'happy grandpa' was well on his way to bedtime each time I saw him. He'd go through a fifth if wooskie in two days. Never very much sick a day in his life, then died.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The words 'a little,' 'a bit,' 'enough,' or 'heavily' are individual descriptive words for drinking. Works for me.
It's an individual thing; I have two close friends in their 70's dying of liver problems.

Back