• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Damon Gros Ventre

Spanky2 said:
Sport said:
I’ve watched a few Native American ball players over the years and have great respect for their shooting prowess but there are a few factors which make their transition to college ball, especially D1 ball very difficult. I think and I’m not an expert by far, but aside from the cultural aspect of moving off the res which by it self is extremely difficult the adjustment is catastrophic to a young man trying to cope with academics, long hours of practice and not having ones support group at hand.
There are few if any activities for high school kids on the res. For many the only sport affordable is a pair of gym shorts, a pair of converse basketball shoes and a hoop to shoot at. Most all young people especially from the reservation seek recognition and notoriety and offensive stats are more recognized than someone who plays tenacious defense. To be a hero to your parents, your peers and the rest of the their nation.
I have not seen Damon Gros Ventre play so perhaps I’m mischaracterizing his abilities so this is not so much about Damon but about players who come off the reservation.
As a youngster I remember watching Larry Pretty Whesel in a Class C tournament cross mid court and launch a shot and more often than not they would go in. If only there had been the three point line back then.
I’m to lazy to look it up but just a few years back when Arlee won back to back state championships. They had a player who was a scoring machine. Something like 26 Pt’s. a game. He committed to the Griz but wound up going to a JC. I believe it was North Idaho JC. I’ve not heard a word about him since. I hope he is doing well.
Larry Pretty Weasel played for class A Hardin. He was outstanding on defense and offense. Many Indian basketball players are skilled in all phases of the game. Larry had lightning quick hands and would steal the ball from his opponents in a second. He was also a strong rebounder.
UM has a fairly strong support system for res kids and no doubt Gros Ventre would be welcomed by the community. Just watching a small bit of video it seems he can shoot, guard, and rebound. He's 6"5". If he has any interest at all in UM, the Griz should risk it and get this kid. With all the players who come here and leave for various reasons, a small town res player from a Class B school could actually be someone that could bring excitement back to Dahlberg Arena.

GrizLA said:
Spanky2 said:
Larry Pretty Weasel played for class A Hardin. He was outstanding on defense and offense. Many Indian basketball players are skilled in all phases of the game. Larry had lightning quick hands and would steal the ball from his opponents in a second. He was also a strong rebounder.
UM has a fairly strong support system for res kids and no doubt Gros Ventre would be welcomed by the community. Just watching a small bit of video it seems he can shoot, guard, and rebound. He's 6"5". If he has any interest at all in UM, the Griz should risk it and get this kid. With all the players who come here and leave for various reasons, a small town res player from a Class B school could actually be someone that could bring excitement back to Dahlberg Arena.

Spot on :thumb:

I honestly don't know if Gros Ventre is on Travis's radar, but he likely was already. I think the issues have been well stated as to why reservation kids are a tough recruit, but we have to stop thinking about why not to recruit these kids but find ways to get them on the roster and on campus.

I was incredibly lucky to have some contact with the NA programs and the NAS department at the UM and it really did wonders for my own world view about Reservations and NA kids. UM is a leader in the area and has been for some time. As a few others have noted you aren't going to find many western colleges and universities who do a better job in providing structure and support for NA kids that what the UM does.

I've watched a ton of Montana HS basketball over the years, and while not of a similar size to Chavez and Gros Ventre is in many ways every bit the player that Chavez was in high school. If the reason that Gros Ventre isn't getting recruited by anyone other than Frontier schools, is because he resides on a reservation, then f-them all. I am in a bit of a cranky mood this morning having spent some time reading the Flores lawsuit against the NFL, and I am tired of assholes in general.

GrizLA said:
Spanky2 said:

Not sure what Travis would have to lose if he offered a preferred walk-on.... There are typically 3 walk-ons on his roster. I would prefer to see a kid from Lodge Grass over one from Tacoma, LA , or Alaska. When Travis signs one of these he knows it is very unlikely that they will ever play any meaningful minutes in his program.

Very rarely in men's hoops in any program is a walk-on good enough to ever get meaningful playing time, even if they stick around for 5 years. I know he has the Big Sky High kid that he signed, which i think is great, however with Gros Ventre, i believe would be a different kind of walk-on.
I mean different because, unlike most walk-ons, i believe this kid can really play!

Would also be a great PR move for Travis even if he is buried on the end of the bench for only one year

Grizfan-24 said:
I honestly don't know if Gros Ventre is on Travis's radar, but he likely was already. I think the issues have been well stated as to why reservation kids are a tough recruit, but we have to stop thinking about why not to recruit these kids but find ways to get them on the roster and on campus.

I was incredibly lucky to have some contact with the NA programs and the NAS department at the UM and it really did wonders for my own world view about Reservations and NA kids. UM is a leader in the area and has been for some time. As a few others have noted you aren't going to find many western colleges and universities who do a better job in providing structure and support for NA kids that what the UM does.

I've watched a ton of Montana HS basketball over the years, and while not of a similar size to Chavez and Gros Ventre is in many ways every bit the player that Chavez was in high school. If the reason that Gros Ventre isn't getting recruited by anyone other than Frontier schools, is because he resides on a reservation, then f-them all. I am in a bit of a cranky mood this morning having spent some time reading the Flores lawsuit against the NFL, and I am tired of assholes in general.

Well said, GF24. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mousegriz said:
citay said:
Mouse would not tolerate this guy. He's too "little."

We've already got Beasley, Whitney, Vasquez and "Downtown" Freddy Brown III with years of eligibility left . Parker I believe is gone after this year These guys are "polished" players from bigger areas than little old Montana.

It's important for Decuire to have at least 5 D1 players under 6"4" on his roster.....but I bet he's got his eye on another "polished" guy.

Parker has another year and will be back. Vasquez may not. Freddy already has his degree but I think he is getting his masters so he should be around.

College coaches are going to recruit and sign kids and build their rosters based on getting Wins, nothing more.

They could care less whether a kid lives in an Igloo, a Reservation, a Ghetto, or a mansion. Can the kid contribute to the team, make plays, hit shots and get a degree.

High school statistics are meaningless in the equation. It's about having a D1 body and the athletic ability. The MT HS kids who have been picked up over the last 10 years (Chavez, Germer, Mack Anderson, Howard, Reynolds, Hasquet etc.) all have the common denominator of a D1 frame and/or motor.

CopperGold14 said:
College coaches are going to recruit and sign kids and build their rosters based on getting Wins, nothing more.

They could care less whether a kid lives in an Igloo, a Reservation, a Ghetto, or a mansion. Can the kid contribute to the team, make plays, hit shots and get a degree.

High school statistics are meaningless in the equation. It's about having a D1 body and the athletic ability. The MT HS kids who have been picked up over the last 10 years (Chavez, Germer, Mack Anderson, Howard, Reynolds, Hasquet etc.) all have the common denominator of a D1 frame and/or motor.

Spot on other than Chavez was closer to 20 years ago. After finally watching some film on Gros Ventre last night, i have to say, he does not pass the eye test, not sure he has the speed, muscle twitch, or athleticism it takes. In fact, he will have his hands full trying to play in Frontier. I hope he lands somewhere and gets a shot, would still like to see him as walk-on at U of M.

Grizfan-24 said:

So does Flores have a case?

GrizPony said:
Mousegriz said:
We've already got Beasley, Whitney, Vasquez and "Downtown" Freddy Brown III with years of eligibility left . Parker I believe is gone after this year These guys are "polished" players from bigger areas than little old Montana.

It's important for Decuire to have at least 5 D1 players under 6"4" on his roster.....but I bet he's got his eye on another "polished" guy.

Parker has another year and will be back. Vasquez may not. Freddy already has his degree but I think he is getting his masters so he should be around.

Parker is a senior and is listed that way in roster. Does he have another year due to covid if he wants it?

If you are a high school basketball fan and get a chance go to Lodge Grass. Get there for the freshman game, watch the jV game and stay for the varsity game. So much energy and tradition. People are warm and welcoming. And great Indian tacos.

As one who openly wondered if our coaches had taken a flyer on Gros Ventre, here is his destination:

https://406mtsports.com/college/community/lodge-grass-damon-gros-ventre-signs-with-dawson-cc-for-basketball/article_3d9619cb-cd11-5ab8-a6a7-f2022345c0ed.html

I went an watched Lodge Grass in the State B tourney and they did not disappoint. However, it was clear to my JV level scouting that Gros Van was not near athletic enough for DI basketball. He was fun to watch but was not the best player on the court for LG the two nights we went. The game against Harlem, their small PG was amazing. I think he was something like 5' 8" and he was reliably scoring in the paint over much taller players. Ty Moccasin was a character and equally as fun to watch. Same with DC Stewart. Great team overall. If they could make their Free Throws under pressure they would have been in the state championship. Couldn't maintain a 5 point lead with 1.5 minutes left.

I wish these native kids could replicate their high school success for the Griz, but, unfortunately, there are very few success stories. Chavez and Camel both had off-the-court problems despite their talent. I don't think JR went to many classes from what I heard.

Zirg said:
I wish these native kids could replicate their high school success for the Griz, but, unfortunately, there are very few success stories. Chavez and Camel both had off-the-court problems despite their talent. I don't think JR went to many classes from what I heard.

Non Indian players also have off the court problems. Being away from home is difficult for many young student athletes, not just Indians.

Dawson Community College is a terrific jc. Glendive supports the team and school well. Also, the school is terrific for building academic success. Hopefully, he can still develop athletically as well.

rgrizfan said:
CopperGold14 said:
Jonathan Takes Enemy played for Rocky Mountain College in the early 90's and was an excellent two way player. JR Camel was a star for the Griz, not to mention one of the greatest HS players in the history of Montana. Kenny Big Back was an NAIA All American player for Rocky in the mid 90's. As some have mentioned, Phillip Malatare is killing it at Eastern Oregon.
Mike Chavez was pretty good too!

and it was too bad Coach Tinkle didn't take advantage of his talent!

I thought I'd mention Don Wetzel, who probably paved the way for Native Americans who went on to play college ball. He played at UM in the late 1960s and early 1970s and was the team's MVP his senior year. A Blackfeet Indian, I believe, he graduated from Cut Bank High School and led his team to one state title.

After graduation, taught school and coached a number of teams (hoops and cross country) and led Browning High to a Class A basketball title in 1980. I think he also was the state's coordinator of Indian affairs for a period of time.

Here's a story on him: https://www.montanasports.com/high-school-sports/boys-basketball/mttop50-no-11-don-wetzel-sr-paved-way-for-native-american-players-in-montana

Larry Pretty Weasel played for Rocky late 50s, early 60s. His father and uncle played for an all Indian team that toured the country.

Spanky2 said:
Larry Pretty Weasel played for Rocky late 50s, early 60s. His father and uncle played for an all Indian team that toured the country.

Larry Pretty Weasel and Jonathon Takes Enemy both played for Rocky.

Latest posts

Back