• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU Offense?

Pedestrian

comedy-accidents.gif

Wolf777 said:
Thinking their offense is pedestrian is a recipe for failure.

Okay in no way did I say they were pedestrian.
I said something is not right...the past two games the swagger that EB3 had earlier in the season is not there.
And it looks like there is a slight hitch in his giddyup towards the middle of the 3rd quarter.
That is all that I am saying.
Not sure how anyone here could read that they were pedestrian into what I said.

While we like to put UNI down and their offense is very pedestrian, their defense was pretty tough.

Eastern is still going to bring it on Friday. Many of them are playing with a chip on their shoulder simply because they didn't get seeded and a team they beat in the regular season did. Grizzlies need to be focused and play like they did against the Cats.

That said, the OP isn't totally wrong in saying that EWU has lost a little bit of their offensive might late in the season. Barriere has been outthrown by the opposing QBs in two of their last four games (Alexander in the PSU game and McKay in the MSU game). Their scoring offense has been about 2 TDs lower on average since Shoemaker left (48 first 9 games, 33 over the last 3).

I wouldn't look at any of that and think that EWU is going to be easier to beat this time around. What will be in UM's favor is home field advantage, a desire to erase the regular season loss and, hopefully, a healthier team after a two week break than EWU's 6 days off. The Grizzlies need to play four whole quarters and stay healthy while doing so, and I think they can get a W.

Also, EWU's special teams are not great. Huge advantage for the Griz in that regard.

CocoaBear said:
Eastern is still going to bring it on Friday. Many of them are playing with a chip on their shoulder simply because they didn't get seeded and a team they beat in the regular season did. Grizzlies need to be focused and play like they did against the Cats.

That said, the OP isn't totally wrong in saying that EWU has lost a little bit of their offensive might late in the season. Barriere has been outthrown by the opposing QBs in two of their last four games (Alexander in the PSU game and McKay in the MSU game). Their scoring offense has been about 2 TDs lower on average since Shoemaker left (48 first 9 games, 33 over the last 3).

I wouldn't look at any of that and think that EWU is going to be easier to beat this time around. What will be in UM's favor is home field advantage, a desire to erase the regular season loss and, hopefully, a healthier team after a two week break than EWU's 6 days off. The Grizzlies need to play four whole quarters and stay healthy while doing so, and I think they can get a W.

Also, EWU's special teams are not great. Huge advantage for the Griz in that regard.

Yes, good post.

CocoaBear said:

So they are going to "bring it" and play with a "chip on their shoulder"? But as long as we are "focused" we should be okay. What if we "want it more" and "leave it all out there"? Could that "tip the scales"?

I see we are only a 1.5 point favorite as of now. Easy money right there for the betting people. a few minutes later it went to 3.0 favorites so by game time might be 30 lol.

SaskGriz said:
CocoaBear said:

So they are going to "bring it" and play with a "chip on their shoulder"? But as long as we are "focused" we should be okay. What if we "want it more" and "leave it all out there"? Could that "tip the scales"?

It might if we put a foot in the ground consistently, play salty, and get a check-up from the neck-up to quit that stinkin' thinkin' when the ball doesn't bounce our way.

MontanaJack2006 said:
SaskGriz said:

It might if we put a foot in the ground consistently, play salty, and get a check-up from the neck-up to quit that stinkin' thinkin' when the ball doesn't bounce our way.

We need to strap it on and give 110%. Bring our lunch pails and grind it out.

Wolf777 said:
Part of the limitation with our defense has been relying on the blitz so we sacrifice coverage bodies to bring blitzes.

When you run a 3-3-5 and send a blitzer it’s the same as a 4-3-4 defense not sending a blitz. Our defense is set up to have a multitude of bodies to cover and bring a blitz from numerous spots without sacrificing bodies. The issue is getting home on the qb. If we don’t get to him on time you can cover with 8 guys and eventually someone will be open. Robertson is back, Ford is hot and the backup db’s have numerous games under their belt. Something tells me this will go quite different this go around.

AZGrizFan said:
MontanaJack2006 said:

How many sons of coaches do we have? How strong are their families?

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

And, for the love of GOD, are they “Montana tough”? Can we get a shaker of that and sprinkle it around on some of the non-Montana players?

SaskGriz said:
CocoaBear said:

Sorry, I should have stuck to discussing how "'high octane' offenses" start to "bog down" during "play-off football" and about the "film/opportunity" to "study their tendencies" and find their "tells" that "tip their hand."

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

And, for the love of GOD, are they “Montana tough”? Can we get a shaker of that and sprinkle it around on some of the non-Montana players?

We’re gonna play below the rim and do the small things it takes to win each down.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

We’re gonna play below the rim and do the small things it takes to win each down.

It’s all about “hat on a hat”…….hat on a hat!

fltheadgriz said:
Something is not right about EWU and their vaunted offense....let me explain.
UNI held EWU to 19 points in a loss for UNI. That is the lowest point total that EWU has had in a win almost by a 2 to 1 margin. their lowest amount of points they totaled in a win before this game was against the Griz with 34 points.
UNI does not have the type of vaunted defense that the Griz has so one of two three things happened:
1) EWU was totally overlooking UNI and their heart was not in the game
2) The rain and weather causes EWU not to have a good offense
3) EWU is running out of gas on their offense and their horses are not there anymore.

They do not seem to be the same high-powered offense that they were at the beginning through the mid of the season.

I will also add that I thought that I saw a little hitch in EB3's giddyup towards the end of the game.

Ok, I’ll give you the fact that EWU not scoring as many points as they did in previous games, but their last few games have been: Weber, MSU, UCD, PSU, UNI. Griz last 5 were Idaho, SUU, UNC, NAU, MSU.
EBIII is just fine, just sore from the end of the game as are all players, lol. 3-0 since new OC, so nothing wrong there, just a different approach. And NO, the OC was not fired, he resigned.
Remember, EWU is 10-2 and lost 2 games by a total of 4 points, and are pissed off with there NO ranking and showed today vs UNI.
Also, a quick stat, #1 redzone defense and #1 3rd down offense in BSC in Eastern. I’ll post more later.
Gonna be a tough game though on the road for EWU!
Versus sports simulator has it 33-31 EWU. Check it out for your self.

Also, I’ve rewatched the game twice, along with being there in person, and I figured UNI LEFT off 14 points and EWU LEFT off 16, so that’s still 35-23. Then I did second chance points, like not getting a 1st down on 4th and1, or a dropped pass etc, and I had it 14-0 EWU. So best case scenario for both teams was 49-23 EWU.
Maybe that’s answers the questions on why the score was so so low for EWU. But they did play there BEST defensive game of the year against a power running team with an O line of 6’6”, 321 average and a very stout Defense

CocoaBear said:
SaskGriz said:

Sorry, I should have stuck to discussing how "'high octane' offenses" start to "bog down" during "play-off football" and about the "film/opportunity" to "study their tendencies" and find their "tells" that "tip their hand."
Yes

Back