• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU Offense?

talon38 said:
Also, I’ve rewatched the game twice, along with being there in person, and I figured UNI LEFT off 14 points and EWU LEFT off 16, so that’s still 35-23. Then I did second chance points, like not getting a 1st down on 4th and1, or a dropped pass etc, and I had it 14-0 EWU. So best case scenario for both teams was 49-23 EWU.
Maybe that’s answers the questions on why the score was so so low for EWU. But they did play there BEST defensive game of the year against a power running team with an O line of 6’6”, 321 average and a very stout Defense

Didn't UNI have four trips to the red zone with zero points? That seems like a lot more than 14 left off....

Need to keep that short QB Barriere in the pocket. He makes most of their big plays scrambling. Need to hit him hard on the blind side.

go4two said:
Need to keep that short QB Barriere in the pocket. He makes most of their big plays scrambling. Need to hit him hard on the blind side.
6'1" 210 lb is so short.

kemajic said:
go4two said:
6'1" 210 lb is so short.

well everyone knows they fudge on the size for the roster. He really is 5'7 145...Kind of like how they have Xavier Harris listed at 5'10" 182 and people who get up set about the play calling always gripe that we are running the ball up the middle with a 155lb back......

go4two said:

Honestly the teams that do well against EB and EWU get a lot of pressure with their front 4/5…The Griz tend to blitz a lot which leaves EWU receivers 1/1 which is where EWU gets there big plays. Will be interesting to see how UM plays it this week…

marceagfan5 said:
go4two said:

Honestly the teams that do well against EB and EWU get a lot of pressure with their front 4/5…The Griz tend to blitz a lot which leaves EWU receivers 1/1 which is where EWU gets there big plays. Will be interesting to see how UM plays it this week…

was having this conversation in my head this morning: do we drop 7 and rush 4, giving Barriere too much time? Or do we risk going 1/1 with the WR's and have people potentially running free....that's the dilemma.

marceagfan5 said:
go4two said:

they will bring the pressure and EB will be out of sync as will the receivers. Seems saturday your receivers dropped a fair amount of passes.

retiredpopo said:
marceagfan5 said:

they will bring the pressure and EB will be out of sync as will the receivers. Seems saturday your receivers dropped a fair amount of passes.

UNI didn’t bring pressure, they dropped back and didn’t give up anything over the top…if you bring pressure it’s advantage EWU because our receivers are very good and they will make big plays against 1/1 coverage. Heck, one of our best starting receivers didn’t play against the Griz last time around but will play Friday…

As for the dropped passes, it rained all day Saturday, conditions weren’t great, it happens…weather looks good for this Friday….

marceagfan5 said:
retiredpopo said:

UNI didn’t bring pressure, they dropped back and didn’t give up anything over the top…if you bring pressure it’s advantage EWU because our receivers are very good and they will make big plays against 1/1 coverage. Heck, one of our best starting receivers didn’t play against the Griz last time around but will play Friday…

As for the dropped passes, it rained all day Saturday, conditions weren’t great, it happens…weather looks good for this Friday….

Good point, I didn't see a lot of blitzing from UNI either. I did see that 300 nose guard flatten EB though and twist his leg as hard as he could. That pissed EB off so bad, LOL. One thing to note, is the last time EB played in WA Griz, the noise really got to him from my laymen point of view. He got nervous as he can't hear the blind side footsteps coming. I imagine we'll do the same this game as well. Should be fun to watch.

dupuyer griz said:
Wolf777 said:
Part of the limitation with our defense has been relying on the blitz so we sacrifice coverage bodies to bring blitzes.

When you run a 3-3-5 and send a blitzer it’s the same as a 4-3-4 defense not sending a blitz. Our defense is set up to have a multitude of bodies to cover and bring a blitz from numerous spots without sacrificing bodies. The issue is getting home on the qb. If we don’t get to him on time you can cover with 8 guys and eventually someone will be open. Robertson is back, Ford is hot and the backup db’s have numerous games under their belt. Something tells me this will go quite different this go around.

I agree with you, and EB3 stood in until the end the first go round and took some hits to deliver some great strikes. As for numbers, how often have we only brought one blitzer? Most of the time it’s 2-3. Overwhelming them. Teams that have worked the screen game or quick routes or have kept in max protest have found some success.

AZGrizFan said:
marceagfan5 said:

was having this conversation in my head this morning: do we drop 7 and rush 4, giving Barriere too much time? Or do we risk going 1/1 with the WR's and have people potentially running free....that's the dilemma.

I feel our best chance would be to rush 6 and drop 7, that should really put the pressure on Barriere to force balls into double coverage quickly before being hit.

Of course we may not have a BSC reffing crew for this playoff game, in which case the strategy fails as they may be able to count past 11.

jodcon said:
AZGrizFan said:

I feel our best chance would be to rush 6 and drop 7, that should really put the pressure on Barriere to force balls into double coverage quickly before being hit.

Of course we may not have a BSC reffing crew for this playoff game, in which case the strategy fails as they may be able to count past 11.

You had me going in the first para, you clever devil. :lol:

retiredpopo said:
I see we are only a 1.5 point favorite as of now. Easy money right there for the betting people. a few minutes later it went to 3.0 favorites so by game time might be 30 lol.

I think the Sportsbet Montana line moves with every bet! 😂

marceagfan5 said:
The OP is basing this off one game? Did you watch the PSU and Davis games to end the year? Easterns offense is just fine…we played a really good defense yesterday in wet, rainy, cold conditions…playoff football is never easy, and EWU just won against a decent team in weather conditions that favored UNI…EWU has lost 2 games all year by a combined 4 points, they will be ready to go Friday for the Griz…

I am happy for EWU that they will finally get to play in a stadium and on a field worthy of their fine team. Also that they will actually have spectators for a change.

Back