• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Strength of Schedule Rankings

Kobezoey said:
indian-outlaw said:
It's a pretty big cut down of the ivy league to compare them with dIII. But they aren't what they use to be. In the 70's they had teams that were top 25 legit contenders.

Not trolling. Guess I am just giving my opinion. Don't mean to offend any old timers, from when the Ivy League did have some credibility. They have dropped way off with their approach and competitiveness over the past 20-30 years for sure. Doesn't mean they don't have fun and don't have some great players that can go to the next level. Overall, they just don't build D1 caliber programs much anymore. Not their focus. Ask any top player who comes out of there to give an honest assessment. . .you will see it is a lot closer to the D3 level than the D1 level for football intensity. And, I might add, some D3 teams like the University of Chicago are way less competitive than they used to be back in the day, as well. Times are changing.

When I was a kid, Minnesota had a good football program. Served under officers who were really good and got a lot of ink from their days playing for West Point. In the 60s, Wyoming had a great program started, Navy had a great team and then we saw many schools abandon their football programs. It didn't take much for an administration to completely destroy the athletic department. Still doesn't.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
I for sure tuned in for the comedy. I was thinking there might be another land whale (average NoDak chick) pissing up a wall in public, but all we got was the FFGPTB.
Everyone from MT watching was embarrassed, including those wearing MSU gear.

Embarrassed, yes, for sure. But there was also a little pleasure in the beatdown.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Kobezoey said:
Not trolling. Guess I am just giving my opinion. Don't mean to offend any old timers, from when the Ivy League did have some credibility. They have dropped way off with their approach and competitiveness over the past 20-30 years for sure. Doesn't mean they don't have fun and don't have some great players that can go to the next level. Overall, they just don't build D1 caliber programs much anymore. Not their focus. Ask any top player who comes out of there to give an honest assessment. . .you will see it is a lot closer to the D3 level than the D1 level for football intensity. And, I might add, some D3 teams like the University of Chicago are way less competitive than they used to be back in the day, as well. Times are changing.

When I was a kid, Minnesota had a good football program. Served under officers who were really good and got a lot of ink from their days playing for West Point. In the 60s, Wyoming had a great program started, Navy had a great team and then we saw many schools abandon their football programs. It didn't take much for an administration to completely destroy the athletic department. Still doesn't.
The administration had nothing to do with the downfall of Wyoming it was the coach Lloyd Eaton. They had been undefeated in ‘68 but lost to LSU in the sugar bowl. In ‘67 they won 10 games and beat Florida State in a bowl game. In ‘69 Eaton kicked off all 14 of his black players because they wanted to wear black armbands when they played BYU. They went completely down hill winning only one game the next year. They were a regional power in the ‘60s but after what Eaton had done the program imploded and they had trouble recruiting black players in any sports after that. Bob Devaney coached there in the 50’s and early 60’s before going to Nebraska. There’s a good 30 for 30 on espn about the Wyoming 14.

Jesse said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
The administration had nothing to do with the downfall of Wyoming it was the coach Lloyd Eaton. They had been undefeated in ‘68 but lost to LSU in the sugar bowl. In ‘67 they won 10 games and beat Florida State in a bowl game. In ‘69 Eaton kicked off all 14 of his black players because they wanted to wear black armbands when they played BYU. They went completely down hill winning only one game the next year. They were a regional power in the ‘60s but after what Eaton had done the program imploded and they had trouble recruiting black players in any sports after that. Bob Devaney coached there in the 50’s and early 60’s before going to Nebraska. There’s a good 30 for 30 on espn about the Wyoming 14.

Whatever. Who the fuck owns ESPN?

https://depts.washington.edu/civilr/BSU_BYU.htm

I assume you won't read the article about Washington and BYU, so perhaps you'll skim this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1967_Wyoming_Cowboys_football_team

Ought to lend a bit of clarification as to why the pac 8 will never allow BYU into the conference. Pizzes me off to see the spin ESPN puts on what happened to the Black 14 and why. 68 was a tremendous year of many events; e.g., Kennedy and Dr. King and yes, the 68 Olympics.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Jesse said:

Whatever. Who the [#]f### owns ESPN?

I assume you won't read the article about Washington and BYU, so perhaps you'll skim this:

Ought to lend a bit of clarification as to why the pac 8 will never allow BYU into the conference. Pizzes me off to see the spin ESPN puts on what happened to the Black 14 and why. 68 was a tremendous year of many events; e.g., Kennedy and Dr. King and yes, the 68 Olympics.

The Wyoming 14 were kicked off the team in 1969 not 68. The ‘69 Cowboys were 4-0 going into the BYU game and ranked 16th in the country. Eaton single handedly ruined the Wyoming football program by doing what he did. It took 50 years but Wyoming finally apologized to the 14 and welcomed them back with a plaque in their honor in the stadium. What does ESPN have to do with anything? It happened and shouldn’t be forgotten.

Wait. Did I just read that? Did this moron say the assassinations of Robert Kennedy and Dr. King, as well as hostage taking and murder of Olympian athletes was “tremendous”??

EverettGriz said:
Wait. Did I just read that? Did this moron say the assassinations of Robert Kennedy and Dr. King, as well as hostage taking and murder of Olympian athletes was “tremendous”??
I have no idea what is happening here, just chiming in that '68 was Mexico City where Smith and Carlos made their protest during the medal ceremony. '72 was Munich were 11 people were killed by terrorists.

Jesse said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
Whatever. Who the [#]f### owns ESPN?

The Wyoming 14 were kicked off the team in 1969 not 68. The ‘69 Cowboys were 4-0 going into the BYU game and ranked 16th in the country. Eaton single handedly ruined the Wyoming football program by doing what he did. It took 50 years but Wyoming finally apologized to the 14 and welcomed them back with a plaque in their honor in the stadium. What does ESPN have to do with anything? It happened and shouldn’t be forgotten.

"Bob Jacobs (1968-70) will forever be known as one of the best kickers in program history. The 2010 UW Athletics Hall of Fame selection served as both a placekicker and punter for Lloyd Eaton's Cowboys.

Jacobs, a Bozeman, Montana, product, booted 37 career field goals during his time in Laramie, then a team record.

There was the 47-yard field goal against Arizona State in 1968. He also boomed a 77-yard punt against BYU that year. As a junior, Jacobs was named an All-American by Look-FWAA and The Sporting News. He set a national record with 18 made field goals. That led the nation. So did his 76 points that season.

To this day, Jacobs still owns a handful of school records: Average punts per game (career and season), total punts in a season, and co-owns the record for average field goals made per outing with JD Wallum.

Jacobs was a two-time All-Western Athletic Conference selection, and was selected by the Cleveland Browns in the 1971 NFL Draft."

SaskGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
I have no idea what is happening here, just chiming in that '68 was Mexico City where Smith and Carlos made their protest during the medal ceremony. '72 was Munich were 11 people were killed by terrorists.

Doh!

EverettGriz said:

‘68 wasn’t the hostage taking incident. That was ‘72. ‘68 was the black power stuff in Mexico City.

mthoopsfan said:
Jesse said:

"Bob Jacobs (1968-70) will forever be known as one of the best kickers in program history. The 2010 UW Athletics Hall of Fame selection served as both a placekicker and punter for Lloyd Eaton's Cowboys.

Jacobs, a Bozeman, Montana, product, booted 37 career field goals during his time in Laramie, then a team record.

There was the 47-yard field goal against Arizona State in 1968. He also boomed a 77-yard punt against BYU that year. As a junior, Jacobs was named an All-American by Look-FWAA and The Sporting News. He set a national record with 18 made field goals. That led the nation. So did his 76 points that season.

To this day, Jacobs still owns a handful of school records: Average punts per game (career and season), total punts in a season, and co-owns the record for average field goals made per outing with JD Wallum.

Jacobs was a two-time All-Western Athletic Conference selection, and was selected by the Cleveland Browns in the 1971 NFL Draft."
A kicker at 7200' Laramie is in 7th Heaven.

The first soccer-style kicker I ever saw live was a Cowboy in the early 60's in Billings for the Montana/Wyoming game. I was a HS straight-on kicker and could not believe what he did with that pigskin.

AZGrizFan said:
EverettGriz said:

‘68 wasn’t the hostage taking incident. That was ‘72. ‘68 was the black power stuff in Mexico City.

Plus the Fosbury flop:
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SlVLyNixqU[/VIDEO]
and:
[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEt_Xgg8dzc[/VIDEO]

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:
NDSU should be well rested for the playoffs. Where's the jackoff who's always claiming on here how big boy their scheduling is?

Their time is done. It's over. This is our time. If we played them ten times, they might win nine, but not this year. Not in the NC game. In that game, we stay with them, we run with them, and we shut them down because we can. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how great a football team the Bizon have. Screw 'em. This is the Griz's time. Now, go out there and take it.

I’ve been waiting for you to show up at a (any, just 1) NC game since 2010. Still waiting. I’ll mark 2022 down as your year . . . So show me something.

Herd said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Their time is done. It's over. This is our time. If we played them ten times, they might win nine, but not this year. Not in the NC game. In that game, we stay with them, we run with them, and we shut them down because we can. I'm sick and tired of hearing about how great a football team the Bizon have. Screw 'em. This is the Griz's time. Now, go out there and take it.

I’ve been waiting for you to show up at a (any, just 1) NC game since 2010. Still waiting. I’ll mark 2022 down as your year . . . So show me something.

How slow do you have to be to not recognize that speech? Bizon slow apparently.

Back